Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand new HK P30L issues, range report

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Brand new HK P30L issues, range report

I just bought a HK45 and HK P30L. Bought a box of Magtech blue box range ammo for each and ran into the range to have a little fun. The 45 shot great, no malfunctions PERFECT. Loved it. Felt great in the hand, just as expected.

The P30 L, 9mm long slide had issues. With one mag it stove piped about every three to five shots So I went to the car and grabbed the other mag after this continued. The other mag ran fine, (I could feel much greater spring pressure) but would not lock back after last round. Any experience or feedback appreciated
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-30-09 at 16:30.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    How much lube is on it? Is the mag brand new in box? Is the pistol NIB as well?

M_P

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    New in box, a little lube, not much. The 45 was wetter, more well oiled than the 9mm?
    Both NIB.

Feedback Score
    When I first got my P30 I had problems in the first 200 or so rounds. Having had time to reflect on it I think I didn't clean all the storage grease off the gun, plus I was using light rounds initially(115gr. UMC). Perhaps the recoil spring needed some breakin too. During this initial period I never had problems with any hollowpoints I tried, only the UMC. After this period I've only had one malfunction in around 4K rounds.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    My P30 had similar issues at first, user error. Be sure to clean it well and lube it good. Then shoot some hot rounds through it and it'll loosen up just fine.

Congrats on the two pick-ups!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I just checked it out, the guide rod was dry and even little rusty looking. Hit it with oil and put some drops down the rails. I'm going to put 100 rounds of Winchester white box through it tomorrow and another box of whatever I can find.

It probably needs oil and 200 rounds. I'll give range report tomorrow night. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-01-09 at 01:40.

ToddG Guest
    In my experience, Euro 9mm guns (with the exception of Glocks) really benefit from 100-200 NATO/+p rounds first thing down the barrel. It's not a necessity but it tends to minimize both early problems and potential hiccups down the road.

Definitely clean & lubricate the pistol per the manual. Until you've done that, you can't even start to guess why a gun might be having problems.

If the slide isn't locking back, it's more likely than not your grip style. Be sure no part of either hand is contacting the slide release lever during recoil. You may want/need to change which grip panel you put on the left side to help with this.

Weak magazine springs often result in stovepipes. The top round in the magazine sags, giving the extracted casing more room to bounce around rather than getting ejected right out the port. If that problem persists with the one mag, I'd call HK USA and get a new spring.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I was able to find 50 rounds of +p ammo today. So much for reducing ammo cost. Great point about the slide release and my thumb. Did not get a chance to shoot today. Will pop off 150 or so rounds tomorrow. Whats the current thinking on Lube with the gun. I use some Lube on my 1911 barrel and a few other areas. Does HK suggest using any Lube or just "Earl".

ToddG Guest
    Your manual points out the specific spots where lubrication is suggested.

Any lubricant intended for use on a firearm should work. Obviously, some work better/longer than others.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Todd, I was trying to figure out if I use Lube or Oil or it does not matter. Do you HK guys use any lube, (I have the Wilson Combat Lube and Smith Enterprises lube for my M1A) and gallons of Hoppes oil and Rem Oil. Whatever it takes to get the gun to cycle properly. Time will tell, or Time, $$$, and ammo will tell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast