Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P slide issue

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Hersh -- That serial prefix places the gun's build prior to a manufacturing change which was intended to improve the durability at that point. While the crack isn't common in earlier guns, certain guns (depending on exactly how new the cutting tool was when it made the slide rails) are more susceptible than others. [snip]
    Interesting. So S&W attributed part of the problem to stress concentration due to a sharp corner? I suppose a radiused tool is used now?

Tagged for updates.

-William

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by William@swrmfg.com View Post
    Interesting. So S&W attributed part of the problem to stress concentration due to a sharp corner?
    The old tool cut at a perfect, sharp 90-degree angle. If your slide was the first one (or few ... to-be-determined it seems) machined with a new cutter, the result seems to be a higher likelihood of a crack forming.

I suppose a radiused tool is used now?
    Correct.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Update

Today I received an email from Paul in S&W customer service. He said they will email me a return label to send the gun in for service.

Will keep you posted.
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Update, Wed. 7/8/09 .... received email copy of Fedex shipping label and the gun is on it's way to Smith.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It's back!

The gun arrived at S&W Friday 7/10, they shipped it back Friday 7/17 and it arrived Tuesday 7/21. Excluding the transit time, Smith only had the gun for four business days which is a damned impressive turnaround, imo! Throughout the entire return process I never actually spoke to anyone about the gun, all communications were handled via email which was very convenient.

The work order indicates the slide was replaced. Notice the slide stop cuts on the replacement. They look identical to the cuts on the original slide as best I can tell. That surprises me a little since I had expected this slide to have cuts with more of a radius?

Most likely I won't get to the range until Saturday, but I expect the gun to run like a scalded dog like it always has.

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear that they took care of you so quickly. I'm sure you got the new slide. The radius is likely very small. Bull nose cutters with .5mm radius are commonly available and even that small of a radius would make a large difference in stress concentration.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by William@swrmfg.com View Post
    Glad to hear that they took care of you so quickly. I'm sure you got the new slide. The radius is likely very small. Bull nose cutters with .5mm radius are commonly available and even that small of a radius would make a large difference in stress concentration.
    Makes sense. I guess I was expecting a drastic difference.

Feedback Score
    I can hear my DI from June 1977 screaming at me now about the importance of cleaning my weapons...

Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Your M&P should be able to go hundreds of rounds without cleaning easily.

ToddG Guest
    Pics of my M&P test gun with 5,700 rounds since the last time it had been cleaned:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Pics of my M&P test gun with 5,700 rounds since the last time it had been cleaned:
    No wonder it's still running... the grime is holding the parts in! Clean it, and they'd all fall out!

Seriously, though, that's a pretty interesting data point... 5700 rounds since cleaning. Good stuff.
    Last edited by DrMark; 07-25-09 at 21:44.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast