Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Breaks, Suppressors and Flash Hiders

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron
    if it's this one, the MB556A, it's VERY loud to someone at the side, and quite the flamethrower (this is coming from a source i trust who test fired one of them).
    That could be it but there's no numerical designator mentioned in the article and the pics are taken from far enough away that I'm not positive. Realistically though, it probably is. I doubt Surefire would release two separate muzzle brakes.

Denny Hanson was the author, he wrote:

"I have been on the line next to shooters whose rifles were equipped with muzzle brakes, and the blast is often very extreme. I stood within three feet of the muzzle as Barry [Barry Dueck, Director of Surefire's Suppressor Division]fired an AR-15 equipped with the new Surefire brake. In all honesty, I was expecting an intense blast of pressure, but all I felt was a gentle (though forceful) surge of air. The brake does its job while not making someone to the side of it combat ineffective. I was impressed."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56
    Although I don't have one, you may want to make the rules to allow ones like the Noveski piggy based on the reports here.

I guess with the same logic, you wouldn't allow shooters to use cover properly. brake or no brake, ever be next to a shooter with the muzzle on the friendly side of a rat hole???

I would make sure I let one go like that so it would really irritate you.
    There's no issue with the Noveske krinks, they actually help with the buffeting in my experience. If you don't use cover at our shoots, you earn a procedural for each offense (3s).

Backblast from cover is a different issue and not a problem, but thanks for playing. If a shooter is unsafe enough that the RSO needs to crowd them while they're proned on a swiss cheese cover board, there are other issues to deal with.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    That could be it but there's no numerical designator mentioned in the article and the pics are taken from far enough away that I'm not positive. Realistically though, it probably is. I doubt Surefire would release two separate muzzle brakes.

Denny Hanson was the author, he wrote:

"I have been on the line next to shooters whose rifles were equipped with muzzle brakes, and the blast is often very extreme. I stood within three feet of the muzzle as Barry [Barry Dueck, Director of Surefire's Suppressor Division]fired an AR-15 equipped with the new Surefire brake. In all honesty, I was expecting an intense blast of pressure, but all I felt was a gentle (though forceful) surge of air. The brake does its job while not making someone to the side of it combat ineffective. I was impressed."

According to SF, this muzzle break reduces recoil by 54%. I have ordered one to see if I can actually tell a difference.

C4

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Speaking from personal experience, I had the YHM brake that looks like the phantom hider except cut/machined differently to channel the gasses. Noticeable difference in recoil over an A2 flash hider. I have recently installed a Micrulek style brake and it is even better on the recoil aspect but LOUD. I believe that all brakes are going to be alot louder than flash hider or plain crowned muzzle. Again, it would just be your preference. I have just begun to shoot USPSA 3 gun matches so a brake is a must for me. I hated to take all the cool stuff I had clamped on my rifle (light, vert grip, sling) but you soon find out what you need and what gets in the way. But since I have 5 AR's total it didn't hurt too bad to "strip one down". Please take note that a USPSA match is different than a self defence situation (no body is shooting back!!) and it's always daylight but sometimes rainy. If you are looking into shooting rifle matches, I would recomend the JP or Mirculek style brake. I also saw a Eric Lund designed brake at the last match and that rifle didn't move at all in rapid fire off hand, but could have alot to do with the shooter but it caused enough interest that several shooters on my squad waited til the end of the day to shoot the guys rifle with the Eric Lund brake and they all seemed to like it better than the Micrulek and JP.

Feedback Score

Smith Enterprise Brake ...

This is the brake that I installed. It is very effective. It did increase the "blast" some, but not nearly as much as my buddies' JP!

Bob

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I haven't really been promoting these since my personal AR15 context has come to be more along the lines of duty guns, but they do work well. That's not me patting myself on the back so much-- actually there is so much "stuff" coming out the end of anything 5.56 that it's pretty easy to make an effective brake.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm now running the Flatland Forge F2 comp, it's pretty damn good. Tons of noise though. You'll feel quite a bit of pressure in your sinuses if you're to its sides when someone else is shooting. But it's not too bad to the shooter. Only the right side of it is ported for bias.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    After what I learned designing mine, I can look at that one (the FF product) and say "it works". When I was developing this, I did not have access to full auto, but I'm pretty sure a brake / comp could be made that would plow earth with a long burst. I had to de-tune it through a few iterations to get it right. It's made in a lefty and righty version.

One test I always wanted to do was suspend an M16 on cords, and have a zip-tie around the trigger, so that a jerk on a lanyard would pull the trigger and hold it down for a C-mag full...... see if we can get the rifle to go into a "hover"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    After what I learned designing mine, I can look at that one (the FF product) and say "it works". When I was developing this, I did not have access to full auto, but I'm pretty sure a brake / comp could be made that would plow earth with a long burst. I had to de-tune it through a few iterations to get it right. It's made in a lefty and righty version.

One test I always wanted to do was suspend an M16 on cords, and have a zip-tie around the trigger, so that a jerk on a lanyard would pull the trigger and hold it down for a C-mag full...... see if we can get the rifle to go into a "hover"

WOW. It would probably swing side to side in a "spray and pray" sort of fashion and I wouldn't want to be around but it would be nice to see on video!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Definitely a job for Iron Man!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast