Thread: Muzzle Breaks, Suppressors and Flash Hiders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Muzzle Breaks, Suppressors and Flash Hiders

Hey guys, I'm currently building a rifle and I am at the point where I have to make a decision on a barrel. I'm planning on a 16" barrel and I have to make a decision on muzzle break. I live in a state still living under the AWB so I believe I'm not allowed to put a supp. or hider on and whatever I do go with must be perm. attached. First off, what are the technical differences in breaks, supps, and hiders and do you have any suggestions for a break that would work best. ( I have heard that a mini Y-comp. break is extremely loud and obnoxious)
    To all those serving for our rights and liberties...Thank you, you are my heroes!

Feedback Score
    Skip the brake... Do you realy need help to control a 5.56/223?
    They are loud; if you shoot near other people at the range they will get tired of your extra noise.
    You asked the differance:
    -A flash suppressor does just that; it cuts down on the flash.
    -A muzzle brake directs gasses in a given direction to help you control the recoil.
    -If your still under the ban then you can only have a brake and it must be perm attached.
    So why do you need one?

My wifes AR is of the "during the ban" type with a 16" M4 profile bbl without anything added and it shoots fine.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/b.../pbbl16m4a.asp

Feedback Score
    So there isn't much of a difference between having a break and not having one? So what is the break for then, 3 burst and auto?
    To all those serving for our rights and liberties...Thank you, you are my heroes!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There is a difference in one with and one without. I will hold that anyone who believes otherwise, is wrong.
    If you want a brake, get one, unless the place you shoot at has a restriction on them. If you shoot competition, you will have quicker follow up shots.

Three things you can do.

1-Get a "preban" lower and set the upper up with a flash hider of choice.

2-Go with no brake.

3-Get a brake of choice. I've had the mini Y and the AK brake. In my opinion, the AK is better. It seems to be just as effective and not as loud.
    Look at the BUshmaster Shorty AK(14.5 w/perm attach.

I guess there's 4-preban with a brake.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    As Mark stated: "If you shoot competition" "If you want a brake, get one"

What do you plan to use this weapon for? Self-Defence/SHTF, plinking/target shooting at the range, hunting or competition.
    Do you want a brake for looks? So that you don't have a plain end on the barrel.

I'm not aginst a brake if you feel you need one. I just would not have one myself.
    I've got a Phantom flash suppressor on my M4. I liked it better then a standard A2 FS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The MSTN QC brake is pretty much the best brake I have seen, or you can go with a Surefire Brake for the can they make.

It makes a difference. Yeah, 5.56 is puny but less recoil is always appreciated.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMMOTECH
    As Mark stated: "If you shoot competition" "If you want a brake, get one"

What do you plan to use this weapon for? Self-Defence/SHTF, plinking/target shooting at the range, hunting or competition.
    Do you want a brake for looks? So that you don't have a plain end on the barrel.

I'm not aginst a brake if you feel you need one. I just would not have one myself.
    I've got a Phantom flash suppressor on my M4. I liked it better then a standard A2 FS.

You are getting ridiculous. He heard your opinion on why he shouldn't bother with one. Frankly, his tastes are probably different than that of your wife. So, let him take in other suggestions instead of commenting on each one a person makes.

Usually people suggest a break for competition because they help and noone usually wants one unless it's for competition- that is unless they are under a ban and want something besides a bare muzzle.

Go ahead and get a brake. There's a few newer ones that don't work exactly the same as the Y-comps do and blow out your neighbors.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...