Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Breaks, Suppressors and Flash Hiders

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Living in AWB-Austria, I feel your pain. For defense, avoid a brake. I think a brake that reduces flash and muzzle blast (both very distracting in closed rooms) is an oxymoron. I recommend the KKF fake-FH since they dampen flash and blast a little bit (like the old grease gun "trompet" muzzle devices), protect the muzzle and look good.

my enmity is only against Tyranny, where ever I find it, wheter in Emperour, King, Prince, Parliament, Presbyters, or People.
    Richard Overton, 1646

Feedback Score
    I recently purchased a "tactical muzzle break" from Rock River Arms. I was looking at the PRI or the JP break but for half the price I thought I would try the RRA break and it seems to work fairly well. I have a 16" RRA entry tactical. Now the gun just comes straight back instead of up and back.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-de...TOKEN=69816859

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JmasterJ
    Is flash like with the Guat. surplus ammo in the picture above pretty standard with breaks or is that ammo specific?
    This Guatamalan ammo flashes bad with an A2 flash hider too. It's not very bad in 20" barrels. It might not have flash retardant in it (if there really is such a thing) or that it's powder is just optimal in 20" barrels.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    more info and pics of the DNTC brake here:
    http://www.militarymorons.com/weapon...cess.html#dtnc

while it's obviously louder than an A2 hider to people off to the side, i didn't find it as obnoxious as some others. i was impressed with it's performance though - being a skeptic, i didn't think it'd work as well as it does in reducing felt recoil and muzzle jump.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As an organizer and safety officer at rifle matches, I hate breaks. With an unkown shooter you have to stand right in the blast area to be able to have ready access to gain control of the rifle. Put them next to a barricade and it's much worse. I keep plugs and muffs handy to be able to double up whenever a shooter with a break comes on the line.

I do understand, however, that many competitive shooters want the edge that they feel a break gives them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4
    Another good choice that looks good perm. attached to a 14.5" barrel is the KKF A3 TacBrake, I used on during the ban. It's not too loud but looks pretty good. Kurt also makes a A3 faux flash suppressor.
    http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citym...page/29585.htm
    I have one of Kurt's TacBrakes on my truck gun (that originally came with a bare muzzle). I'm not sure how much it helps as a brake/compensator, but it looks cool.

For what it's worth, I think a full length gas system (vs. carbine length), preferably ajdustable, makes a far bigger difference in the amount the gun moves than any compensator. Since all of my guns have been carbines (16 and 14.5 inch barrels), I don't get a dramatic improvement with brakes/comps, but it does help some. I've used Smith Ent. post ban, and now I have a JP/Cooley and I like it better.

Feedback Score
    A month or two ago SWAT had an article on some new Surefire products, on eof which was a brake that they claimed wasn't as loud as competitior's brakes. I tried to find some info on it on Surefire's website, but no joy. I think it's that new. You may want to contact them directly for info -- it's one to consider.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart
    A month or two ago SWAT had an article on some new Surefire products, on eof which was a brake that they claimed wasn't as loud as competitior's brakes.
    if it's this one, the MB556K, it's VERY loud to someone at the side, and quite the flamethrower (this is coming from a source i trust who test fired one of them).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s
    As an organizer and safety officer at rifle matches, I hate breaks. With an unkown shooter you have to stand right in the blast area to be able to have ready access to gain control of the rifle. Put them next to a barricade and it's much worse. I keep plugs and muffs handy to be able to double up whenever a shooter with a break comes on the line.

I do understand, however, that many competitive shooters want the edge that they feel a break gives them.
    Same here, we're revising our rulebook to prohibit brakes altogether, with an exception for AK / m1a socom's. As a perennial RSO I'm tired of being blasted and would rather see shooters overcome the mighty recoil of the .223 rifle...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Although I don't have one, you may want to make the rules to allow ones like the Noveski piggy based on the reports here.

I guess with the same logic, you wouldn't allow shooters to use cover properly. brake or no brake, ever be next to a shooter with the muzzle on the friendly side of a rat hole???

I would make sure I let one go like that so it would really irritate you.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast