Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Muzzle Breaks, Suppressors and Flash Hiders

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    3rd rock from the sun
    Posts
    235
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Living in AWB-Austria, I feel your pain. For defense, avoid a brake. I think a brake that reduces flash and muzzle blast (both very distracting in closed rooms) is an oxymoron. I recommend the KKF fake-FH since they dampen flash and blast a little bit (like the old grease gun "trompet" muzzle devices), protect the muzzle and look good.

    my enmity is only against Tyranny, where ever I find it, wheter in Emperour, King, Prince, Parliament, Presbyters, or People.
    Richard Overton, 1646

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    56
    Feedback Score
    0
    I recently purchased a "tactical muzzle break" from Rock River Arms. I was looking at the PRI or the JP break but for half the price I thought I would try the RRA break and it seems to work fairly well. I have a 16" RRA entry tactical. Now the gun just comes straight back instead of up and back.

    http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-de...TOKEN=69816859

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    10,689
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JmasterJ
    Is flash like with the Guat. surplus ammo in the picture above pretty standard with breaks or is that ammo specific?
    This Guatamalan ammo flashes bad with an A2 flash hider too. It's not very bad in 20" barrels. It might not have flash retardant in it (if there really is such a thing) or that it's powder is just optimal in 20" barrels.
    FFL/SOT armorer

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CONUS
    Posts
    2,774
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    more info and pics of the DNTC brake here:
    http://www.militarymorons.com/weapon...cess.html#dtnc

    while it's obviously louder than an A2 hider to people off to the side, i didn't find it as obnoxious as some others. i was impressed with it's performance though - being a skeptic, i didn't think it'd work as well as it does in reducing felt recoil and muzzle jump.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SE FL
    Posts
    14,228
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As an organizer and safety officer at rifle matches, I hate breaks. With an unkown shooter you have to stand right in the blast area to be able to have ready access to gain control of the rifle. Put them next to a barricade and it's much worse. I keep plugs and muffs handy to be able to double up whenever a shooter with a break comes on the line.

    I do understand, however, that many competitive shooters want the edge that they feel a break gives them.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    788
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4
    Another good choice that looks good perm. attached to a 14.5" barrel is the KKF A3 TacBrake, I used on during the ban. It's not too loud but looks pretty good. Kurt also makes a A3 faux flash suppressor.
    http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citym...page/29585.htm
    I have one of Kurt's TacBrakes on my truck gun (that originally came with a bare muzzle). I'm not sure how much it helps as a brake/compensator, but it looks cool.

    For what it's worth, I think a full length gas system (vs. carbine length), preferably ajdustable, makes a far bigger difference in the amount the gun moves than any compensator. Since all of my guns have been carbines (16 and 14.5 inch barrels), I don't get a dramatic improvement with brakes/comps, but it does help some. I've used Smith Ent. post ban, and now I have a JP/Cooley and I like it better.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,857
    Feedback Score
    0
    A month or two ago SWAT had an article on some new Surefire products, on eof which was a brake that they claimed wasn't as loud as competitior's brakes. I tried to find some info on it on Surefire's website, but no joy. I think it's that new. You may want to contact them directly for info -- it's one to consider.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CONUS
    Posts
    2,774
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart
    A month or two ago SWAT had an article on some new Surefire products, on eof which was a brake that they claimed wasn't as loud as competitior's brakes.
    if it's this one, the MB556K, it's VERY loud to someone at the side, and quite the flamethrower (this is coming from a source i trust who test fired one of them).

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    228
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s
    As an organizer and safety officer at rifle matches, I hate breaks. With an unkown shooter you have to stand right in the blast area to be able to have ready access to gain control of the rifle. Put them next to a barricade and it's much worse. I keep plugs and muffs handy to be able to double up whenever a shooter with a break comes on the line.

    I do understand, however, that many competitive shooters want the edge that they feel a break gives them.
    Same here, we're revising our rulebook to prohibit brakes altogether, with an exception for AK / m1a socom's. As a perennial RSO I'm tired of being blasted and would rather see shooters overcome the mighty recoil of the .223 rifle...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,802
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Although I don't have one, you may want to make the rules to allow ones like the Noveski piggy based on the reports here.

    I guess with the same logic, you wouldn't allow shooters to use cover properly. brake or no brake, ever be next to a shooter with the muzzle on the friendly side of a rat hole???

    I would make sure I let one go like that so it would really irritate you.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,857
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron
    if it's this one, the MB556A, it's VERY loud to someone at the side, and quite the flamethrower (this is coming from a source i trust who test fired one of them).
    That could be it but there's no numerical designator mentioned in the article and the pics are taken from far enough away that I'm not positive. Realistically though, it probably is. I doubt Surefire would release two separate muzzle brakes.

    Denny Hanson was the author, he wrote:

    "I have been on the line next to shooters whose rifles were equipped with muzzle brakes, and the blast is often very extreme. I stood within three feet of the muzzle as Barry [Barry Dueck, Director of Surefire's Suppressor Division]fired an AR-15 equipped with the new Surefire brake. In all honesty, I was expecting an intense blast of pressure, but all I felt was a gentle (though forceful) surge of air. The brake does its job while not making someone to the side of it combat ineffective. I was impressed."

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    228
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56
    Although I don't have one, you may want to make the rules to allow ones like the Noveski piggy based on the reports here.

    I guess with the same logic, you wouldn't allow shooters to use cover properly. brake or no brake, ever be next to a shooter with the muzzle on the friendly side of a rat hole???

    I would make sure I let one go like that so it would really irritate you.
    There's no issue with the Noveske krinks, they actually help with the buffeting in my experience. If you don't use cover at our shoots, you earn a procedural for each offense (3s).

    Backblast from cover is a different issue and not a problem, but thanks for playing. If a shooter is unsafe enough that the RSO needs to crowd them while they're proned on a swiss cheese cover board, there are other issues to deal with.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    VA/OH
    Posts
    27,441
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    That could be it but there's no numerical designator mentioned in the article and the pics are taken from far enough away that I'm not positive. Realistically though, it probably is. I doubt Surefire would release two separate muzzle brakes.

    Denny Hanson was the author, he wrote:

    "I have been on the line next to shooters whose rifles were equipped with muzzle brakes, and the blast is often very extreme. I stood within three feet of the muzzle as Barry [Barry Dueck, Director of Surefire's Suppressor Division]fired an AR-15 equipped with the new Surefire brake. In all honesty, I was expecting an intense blast of pressure, but all I felt was a gentle (though forceful) surge of air. The brake does its job while not making someone to the side of it combat ineffective. I was impressed."

    According to SF, this muzzle break reduces recoil by 54%. I have ordered one to see if I can actually tell a difference.


    C4

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    132
    Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Speaking from personal experience, I had the YHM brake that looks like the phantom hider except cut/machined differently to channel the gasses. Noticeable difference in recoil over an A2 flash hider. I have recently installed a Micrulek style brake and it is even better on the recoil aspect but LOUD. I believe that all brakes are going to be alot louder than flash hider or plain crowned muzzle. Again, it would just be your preference. I have just begun to shoot USPSA 3 gun matches so a brake is a must for me. I hated to take all the cool stuff I had clamped on my rifle (light, vert grip, sling) but you soon find out what you need and what gets in the way. But since I have 5 AR's total it didn't hurt too bad to "strip one down". Please take note that a USPSA match is different than a self defence situation (no body is shooting back!!) and it's always daylight but sometimes rainy. If you are looking into shooting rifle matches, I would recomend the JP or Mirculek style brake. I also saw a Eric Lund designed brake at the last match and that rifle didn't move at all in rapid fire off hand, but could have alot to do with the shooter but it caused enough interest that several shooters on my squad waited til the end of the day to shoot the guys rifle with the Eric Lund brake and they all seemed to like it better than the Micrulek and JP.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0

    Smith Enterprise Brake ...



    This is the brake that I installed. It is very effective. It did increase the "blast" some, but not nearly as much as my buddies' JP!

    Bob

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,211
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)


    I haven't really been promoting these since my personal AR15 context has come to be more along the lines of duty guns, but they do work well. That's not me patting myself on the back so much-- actually there is so much "stuff" coming out the end of anything 5.56 that it's pretty easy to make an effective brake.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    10,689
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm now running the Flatland Forge F2 comp, it's pretty damn good. Tons of noise though. You'll feel quite a bit of pressure in your sinuses if you're to its sides when someone else is shooting. But it's not too bad to the shooter. Only the right side of it is ported for bias.



    FFL/SOT armorer

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,211
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    After what I learned designing mine, I can look at that one (the FF product) and say "it works". When I was developing this, I did not have access to full auto, but I'm pretty sure a brake / comp could be made that would plow earth with a long burst. I had to de-tune it through a few iterations to get it right. It's made in a lefty and righty version.

    One test I always wanted to do was suspend an M16 on cords, and have a zip-tie around the trigger, so that a jerk on a lanyard would pull the trigger and hold it down for a C-mag full...... see if we can get the rifle to go into a "hover"

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northwest IN
    Posts
    3,119
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    After what I learned designing mine, I can look at that one (the FF product) and say "it works". When I was developing this, I did not have access to full auto, but I'm pretty sure a brake / comp could be made that would plow earth with a long burst. I had to de-tune it through a few iterations to get it right. It's made in a lefty and righty version.

    One test I always wanted to do was suspend an M16 on cords, and have a zip-tie around the trigger, so that a jerk on a lanyard would pull the trigger and hold it down for a C-mag full...... see if we can get the rifle to go into a "hover"

    WOW. It would probably swing side to side in a "spray and pray" sort of fashion and I wouldn't want to be around but it would be nice to see on video!

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,211
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Definitely a job for Iron Man!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •