Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Breaks, Suppressors and Flash Hiders

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    After a recent side-by-side comparison, I can vouch that an AK74-style brake is very effective in .223.

My bird-cage equipped AR definitely has to be pulled back to the target after each shot (espcially with full-power mil-spec loads), whereas my .223 AK (Arsenal SLR-106) hardly budges. The blast hitting the front plates of the brake just grabs that barrel by the throat! The AK brake may be a little louder, but nothing like a Y-comp (which I agree with the earlier comments from a fellow match official).

I'll be keeping the flash hider on my AR though, as it is configured for low-light/no-light conditions in the home-defense mode.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Randy the AKConcepts DNTC brake on an AR doesn't have much flash if using good ammo like American Eagle, M855 and such.

If using Guatamalan it has a HUGE flash. It's a very good comp and reduces recoil and muzzle lift very well, it is louder than an A2 comp but not as loud as a Cooley or my F2 comp.

Here's what it looks like with American Eagle (16" midlength bbl).

Here's with South African on DavidP14s Olympic M16 lower (w/H buffer) and our ARES piston converted 11.5" upper. This combo was VERY controllable, witht an aggressive stance I could keep the entire mag on full auto in a 1.5-2ft circle at 125-150yds without climbing off the target. It's cyclic rate was much slower than with Davids 10.5" LMT upper.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Does anyone know of any "formal" testing of brakes in terms of which one was the "loudest" down to the "quietest" Forgive me if my terms are not technical...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Randy the AKConcepts DNTC brake on an AR doesn't have much flash if using good ammo like American Eagle, M855 and such........It's a very good comp and reduces recoil and muzzle lift very well.......
    Very nice......appears to have the best of both worlds.

Flash on the 74 brake is not bad, based on M855.....oh, and that Wolf (bleh!......gag!.....weeze!.....), but is more than from the bird cage. Just yesterday got a few boxes of UMC from the local Wal Fart to try next.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The loudest? I'll put my very first attempt at a brake into that contest. I never really did a lot of experimentation as to what makes one louder than the next, but there do seem to be certain designs that magnify blast (and flash) more than others while not necessarily being better at keeping the muzzle steady. The standard AK74 brake does not seem to create a big ol' shock wave like some. I never felt that my current design was too bad but then most of my experience with it is from the driver's seat.

It would be great if one of you guys could spend an afternoon at this.... hint, hint. I think I have a "loaner" around here and if mine is not the quietest, no big deal since I never even considered it at the time I first came out with it ('88 or so), and I really don't push them anymore.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post

It would be great if one of you guys could spend an afternoon at this.... hint, hint. I think I have a "loaner" around here and if mine is not the quietest, no big deal since I never even considered it at the time I first came out with it ('88 or so), and I really don't push them anymore.
    I'd give it a try!
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

Surefire MB556K

Grant, or anyone else who has tried it...what do you think of the Surefire MB556K that was on page 2 of this thread? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcm3087 View Post
    Grant, or anyone else who has tried it...what do you think of the Surefire MB556K that was on page 2 of this thread? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have tried it and do believe that it does reduce muzzle flip. The down side to them is that they are expensive. I do have some in stock and offer M4C members discounts on them if interested.

C4

Feedback Score
    Thanks Grant. What is your take on + or - blast on the sides? I'm also considering one of the new Vltor flash hiders as an alternative. Any other thoughts from anyone? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcm3087 View Post
    Thanks Grant. What is your take on + or - blast on the sides? I'm also considering one of the new Vltor flash hiders as an alternative. Any other thoughts from anyone? Thanks.
    There is of course blast on the sides, but since I am the shooter, it doesn't bother me.

I have also been running the new VLTOR. Very good muzzle break as well. blast comes out in all directions (so I am told).

C4

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast