Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&P - Spare parts availability, and armorer's manual

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge there's no armorer's manual out there for the M&P...at least not one that anybody can get a hold of. I'd sure as hell like one.
    I have a M&P armorer's manual and like Todd said it is quite detailed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 87GN View Post
    I don't think it's unreasonable to buy spares ahead of time.

I like to have stuff, just in case...1 of everything is fine for me, maybe 2 of the high wear parts...and a spare extractor is a nice thing to have. Plus, I tend to break stuff.

This yahoo will keep on keepin on, 'cuz it's a free country and we can do what we want...such as dump or hide in the back of the safe guns we can't buy parts for. If you're that much of a "high volume" shooter, you might want to plan ahead and buy stuff while you can. Ever hear "Poor prior planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part?"
    Why do people use the "It's a free country" argument every time someone does something selfish? Yes it's a free country, that doesn't mean that we have to personally condone such selfish behavior. It is also why Sig can hold on to the more rare parts on discontinued models for people that really may need it.

As far as buying stuff ahead of time, believe me, with exception of the breech blocks, slide, barrel, and frame I have enough parts to totally rebuild a Sig 228R, Sig 229R, and Sig 226R.

Anyways with exception of the extractors (which are available from a third party), and the breech block 228 parts are available from Top Gun Supply and Brownells. And if you truly need it Sig also has the parts for sale as needed to repair broken guns.

The M&P parts and armorers issue. I hope someone fixes that, I know with Sigs a couple of companies have done armorers instructions on DVD, and CD. Maybe Todd can do something.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    That decision was made in '07, as I recall. It was actually related more to the P220 models than anything else. The goals were twofold: reduce spare parts inventory, and motivate owners of older heavy-use P220s to buy new guns.

The policy helped lead to SIG losing its only federal agency that issued the P220 exclusively.
    Did they go to M&P.45's? If its the agency i think your talking about, I didn't know issues with Sig was an issue.

Bob

ToddG Guest
    Bob -- I'm not in a position to speak for the agency. They were looking at various new guns for a while, in particular the P226R-357 and then later on the M&P45 ... which they adopted. Right before they started looking at the M&P45 so seriously, they were having some P220 problems and SIG wasn't exactly falling over itself to fix them or find solutions.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike benedict View Post
    I have a M&P armorer's manual and like Todd said it is quite detailed
    Well yeah, guys who go through the armorer's course can get them...but guys who can't (AFAIK the armorer's courses are LE only) are SOL.

...unless you're willing to sell me yours.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Why do people use the "It's a free country" argument every time someone does something selfish? Yes it's a free country, that doesn't mean that we have to personally condone such selfish behavior. It is also why Sig can hold on to the more rare parts on discontinued models for people that really may need it.

As far as buying stuff ahead of time, believe me, with exception of the breech blocks, slide, barrel, and frame I have enough parts to totally rebuild a Sig 228R, Sig 229R, and Sig 226R.

Anyways with exception of the extractors (which are available from a third party), and the breech block 228 parts are available from Top Gun Supply and Brownells. And if you truly need it Sig also has the parts for sale as needed to repair broken guns.

The M&P parts and armorers issue. I hope someone fixes that, I know with Sigs a couple of companies have done armorers instructions on DVD, and CD. Maybe Todd can do something.
    You call it hoarding, I call it being prepared.

I bought primers years back when they were cheap and plentiful, powder and bullets too. Oh, and .22LR. There are a few things I wish I had more of - I didn't buy them way back when - tough luck. 228 extractors being one of them. I won't depend on a platform that I can't repair myself, having had horrible experiences from some of the top names in the industry (and some of the lower end names too).

What is the difference between me having enough parts to rebuild a pistol and you having enough parts to do the same?

Feel free to share the third party where I may buy an extractor or two for my 228.

And if anyone knows where I can get an MA trigger bar for an M&P, I may get back into them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And if anyone knows where I can get an MA trigger bar for an M&P, I may get back into them.
    My advice would be to call up a S&W armorer...like GotM4. He might be able to hook you up.

Feedback Score
    You call it hoarding, I call it being prepared.

What is the difference between me having enough parts to rebuild a pistol and you having enough parts to do the same?
    Oh god not this stuff again. I was referring to someone, who fires a few of cases a year total through all his guns, and yet would buy ALL of the rare spare parts, for example 15 breech blocks (something that you would rarely if ever need to replace). You know that there are shooters like that. It's because of those people that Sig has to restrict the sale of rare parts. Don't blame Sig blame selfish shooters.

I have no problem with someone that buys what they need. I have a problem with people that selfish buy much much more then they will ever need.

Feel free to share the third party where I may buy an extractor or two for my 228.
    Like I said GerryR on SigForum.

Feedback Score
    I ordered a trigger return spring and a recoil spring assembly directly from S&W yesterday. Pretty common parts but they were in stock and about what I would expect to pay for a similar Glock part.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    About the 228 spare parts issue, my guess is that Sig canceled parts production for the 228 at the same time as the decision to drop this model was made and have no intention of making more. They probably view repairs on customers' guns as a costly service that loses money and have zero concern for the consumer who owns an obsolete pistol.

You never know who makes parts for what because of outsourcing, which is a practice that affects spare parts production.

Ruger has had a decades old policy of restricting parts--most likely for liability concerns.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast