Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOE Handguard install

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

MOE Handguard install

Is the MOE hand guard a simple process of taking off old hand guards (off my Noveske 14.5 inch barrel) and putting on MOE. I would like to change hand guards and maybe add a vertical grip. And keep the gun light weight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yup. Remove old one...install new MOE unit. Directions in the box.

Feedback Score
    I installed one myself with no tools, but a little trick, since it's easier with 3 hands, but I was alone.

I slipped a piece of string through the holes in the lower handguard, tied a loop. I put the stock on the floor, and used both hands to depress the spring. Once fully down, I pulled the string with my teeth, which popped the guard out, then was able to push the other one away with a finger. Reassembly was very simple... took less than a minute start to finish.

If you have two people, it might be even easier (and faster) than that.

Feedback Score
    The MOE handguards install the same way as stock handguards. It's much easier and less frustrating if you have someone to help you.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks guys, I just ordered a set. And their rail to put on a Vertical grip. I'll let you know how the sturdy it feels. Has anyone added the rails and a grip?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Thanks guys, I just ordered a set. And their rail to put on a Vertical grip. I'll let you know how the sturdy it feels. Has anyone added the rails and a grip?
    Sure have, and on my rifle it's very sturdy.

Feedback Score
    Had thought about doing the same thing - a rail section and a stubby grip. Instead, what I may do is get a small chunk of aluminum, block of HDPE, micarta, or some such and fabricate a hand stop instead, and bolt it directly without the rail. I have some additional projects in my queue ahead of that one, though, so it'll be a while, but will post thoughts and pics if something actually turns out.

Feedback Score
    I added a section of rail to mine. Because of the way the front of the handguard is shaped, I had to cut an inch off the rail I used before it would fit. That accounts for the rough look of the back end in the following picture. The grip is a TangoDown Quick Detach foregrip, and is pretty sturdy. If you apply torque to it, it will wiggle a little, but it works for me.

Last edited by fdxpilot; 07-04-09 at 20:22.
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    FDXpilot, good looking rifle. I have that defender, and ran it hard today, big fun. I like what you did with yours. Thanks for the pic

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I added a very short piece of Midwest Industries rail and its just the right size for my TangoDown VFG...

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast