Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Seekins Precision Rook or Nest flash hiders.

Feedback Score

Looking at Seekins Precision Rook or Nest flash hiders.

Current project is a Core15 lower w/ Aero Precision upper, Aero Precision 16" fluted barrel etc, etc .... Its a fair amount lighter build than I usually do. I am not concerned about recoil or muzzle flip reduction, killing flash is the key. I have looked at a fair number of different reviews and videos (including the video by whoever the guy was that did the shootout with the JP winning.)

I have been leaning toward the Seekins Precision Rook or their Nest (enclosed.) Does anyone have experience with these both? or even one of them? I may also consider the JP flash hider.

Now I have read some about the "ping" made by some flash hiders, it's my understanding that it is common on 3 prong devises. Is this the case and is it most common with all 3 prong or are there some that do not have the "ping?" One reason I am looking at the Nest is the enclosed end, but does it hide, kill, suppress (what ever term you want to use) the flash close to as well as the open ended 3 prong devises?

Thanks
    Last edited by duramaxtech; 11-14-18 at 14:32.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Jp is supposed to be best other than smith vortex
    Tests on several 11.5/12.5 556 uppers I’ve changed to
    Griffin micro flash comp as it’s super short
    Lightweight and virtually same excellent flash suppressor
    Also great for reducing concussion when compared to a2 device

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Short 3prong has no noticeable ping

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Short 3prong has no noticeable ping
    What do you consider short? Also I have noticed a few 4 prong hiders, would they tend to ping (tuning folk effect or whatever you want to call it) more?

Almost forgot another question or two, with both Seekins hiders it says no need to time it. I think I would want to just to insure the thing isn't with a port (slot) facing down? And would you want to maybe use a crush washer anyway, would it hurt anything?
    Last edited by duramaxtech; 11-15-18 at 00:08.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Haven’t tried any without double plugs
    I’ve used the griffin micro with just plugs and didn’t notice any
    Micro is about half as long as jp

There is a chart and YouTube videos of flash hider tests
    Last edited by joeg26er; 11-15-18 at 07:18.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxtech View Post
    Almost forgot another question or two, with both Seekins hiders it says no need to time it. I think I would want to just to insure the thing isn't with a port (slot) facing down? And would you want to maybe use a crush washer anyway, would it hurt anything?
    That's correct on the not needing to time the Seekins. In my experience with them using a crush washer is pretty much only needed (as far as timing) for avoiding having an open port/slot facing down.
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R6436 View Post
    That's correct on the not needing to time the Seekins. In my experience with them using a crush washer is pretty much only needed (as far as timing) for avoiding having an open port/slot facing down.
    Thanks, great info! Still debating between the Rook with open tines and the Nest which is enclosed.

Feedback Score
    I very much prefer the Smith Vortex for almost anything.

It doesn't require washers, it doesn't require timing, it self tightens, it eliminates the carbon gap and it's one of the best flash suppressors.

I also have the B.E. Meyers 249F and I still prefer the Smith Vortex.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxtech View Post
    Thanks, great info! Still debating between the Rook with open tines and the Nest which is enclosed.
    You welcome! In my experience, the closed tines tend to reduce/eliminate the "ping". I will admit though that I usually don't notice it on open tines, same with the "twang" from buffer springs, unless someone points it out while I'm at the range.

Sent you a PM with some other information/observations.
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Feedback Score
    I have the rook and think it is really nice. Never heard a ping from it and I love the way it looks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast