Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Suppressed SBR Ever????

Feedback Score
    Just saying that after years of suppressed SBR use, I fully advocate adjustable gas blocks for suppressed carbine use.

Smaller gas ports are ideal on the barrel itself, but by no means required, and under heavy firing schedules, I imagine that port erosion makes it irrelevant. With a AGB that issue is correctable.

Also, you can order custom barrels from Kreiger, and I think they do custom gas ports, if money is no object.

One day I want one with their super heavy bull barrel profile using carbon chrome-moly steel, and nitride it.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Well it took a while for me to get this setup but, I am glad I did.

I had ADCO cut a 14.5 barrel down to 10.5 and asked they didn't open the gas port any. As well I sent in the syrac block with everything to get pinned on, as the block is to large to fit under the CMR rail without touching. I had it pinned so I could remove as much material on the bottom of block that I felt comfortable with and not worry about the set srews. Also added the LMT enhanced carrier and a Colt bolt. Running with a H3 buffer and a Colt spring.

This turned out to be a very soft shooter and so far no issues.

Feedback Score
    Nice! Perfect.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just out of curiosity I was wondering how the 10.5 inch HK 416 performed?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man2112 View Post
    Just out of curiosity I was wondering how the 10.5 inch HK 416 performed?
    In regards to??

C4

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Jeez, this adjustable gas block thing ain't working out for me at all. I just had my second failure of one of these things. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what it could be. Both failures on quality blocks from different mfg's (not naming...first one took care of it, second will as well, I'm positive).

Both lost their detent clicks so the adjustment screw can spin freely and you have no way to tell where the adjustment is. One failure happened on a 10.5" 5.45 gun, this second on a 10.5" 5.56 gun. Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krichbaum View Post
    Jeez, this adjustable gas block thing ain't working out for me at all. I just had my second failure of one of these things. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what it could be. Both failures on quality blocks from different mfg's (not naming...first one took care of it, second will as well, I'm positive).

Both lost their detent clicks so the adjustment screw can spin freely and you have no way to tell where the adjustment is. One failure happened on a 10.5" 5.45 gun, this second on a 10.5" 5.56 gun. Any ideas?
    I have not see that happen so I would contact the manufacturers.

C4

Feedback Score
    I'm doing some research for my first suppressed sbr. I'm going to go with a 11.5 bcm with syrac gas block. When i end up installing the gas block should i have adco open the gas port to the maximum of the port on the syrac? Or leave it be?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No need to open the gas port.

Suppressed use will always need a port smaller than "normal".

The AGB will take care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidbattlecry View Post
    I'm doing some research for my first suppressed sbr. I'm going to go with a 11.5 bcm with syrac gas block. When i end up installing the gas block should i have adco open the gas port to the maximum of the port on the syrac? Or leave it be?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I have not see that happen so I would contact the manufacturers.

C4
    The first failure was explained after inspection by the manufacturer as "possibly" a bad heat treat on the spring. No idea if that's really what caused it. That block was shot strictly with 7n6 surplus 5.45 ammo, which isn't the friendliest stuff to gas ports and such. But it failed the first time out with hardly any rounds fired. The second failure was a different manufacturer's block, talked to them today. They found that carbon buildup inside the block had caused the detent ball to jam up. The theory is that my 10.5" barrel with an .078" gas port is allowing too much gas into the gas block and fouling it up. Proposed solution is to use anti seize or CLP on the adjustment screw. I *might* try that, but I'm not sure I'm buying that story. Even if the size of the gas port is to blame, the point of these gas blocks is to tune an overgassed gun with a large gas port so it kind of defeats the purpose if problems can come about due to that. BTW, this failure happened with under 300 rounds of use on the gas block. The ammo used comes into question I guess, but nearly all I used was hand loads that could be described as slightly weak M193 in terms of projectile and powder charge, loaded with military surplus powder (WC844F). That is not a particularly clean burning powder but not dirty either IMHO. If shooting ammo that's not super clean causes an adjustable block to fail, again, what's the point?

All I can speak to is my own experience, and based on that, *I* won't be putting adjustable blocks on any gun I would ever want to depend on in a serious application.

Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast