Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Suppressed SBR Ever????

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Ok that makes sense. And I know that you said that the Noveske switchblock is overgassed in your opinion, so I guess I'll have to play with different buffer weights and maybe the LMT bolt carrier to find what works best...

It would be nice if you could just tell us what GP size you used on the 10.5" just as a "go-by"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    C4I- I was referring to the discussion of KAC bolts and barrel extensions.

And I do believe that suppressed DI SBR setups are more than twice as dirty. It's unbelievable!
    Last edited by Boss Hogg; 12-27-10 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    Boss Hog, a better buffer system would definitely be an upgrade, but doesn't change the fact that the KAC bolt is also an upgrade from the standard AR bolt. That's what some of us want to take advantage of.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The First Solution: Build an AR with a much smaller gas port size so that it can utilize the back pressure generated by the suppressor to cycle the weapon.

The Second Problem: Dedicated suppressed AR’s will not cycle enough to pick up a second round, making the weapon useless if the suppressor becomes damaged or removed.
    Had something kinda like that built about 10-years ago. Had to wait a while for the barrel to come in from Colt, IIRC it only had a pilot hole for the gas port or something like that. It was opened up just a tad (you can tell I'm just a super technical guy) as to run dedicated suppressed only. Has a little Gemtech M496C on the front and has been perfect in the decade I've been playing with it. I did have the suppressor off for a few months a couple years ago; took it out on a few different occasions to see if it really wouldn't run without the suppressor. It doesn't. Well, not very well. M855 worked properly maybe 60-70% of the time and the XM193 maybe 50% of the time. Couldn't get more than a few rounds out of it with anything else, so I put the suppressor back on and am back to 100% with everything I feed it. As was the fad back then the barrel is the HBAR variety with a 1/7 twist. The suppressor is a beast and never given any problems. This is also my most accurate AR. As much as I love this and as great as it is, I'd not recommend to anyone to build a dedicated suppressed AR with a thread on suppressor unless you have a very specific need; really puts you into a corner - a real niche piece. QD suppressor is the way to go. What Grant has going on sounds terrific.

An old, old pic

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buffers dont solve the problem, they are really an band-aid solution.
    A heavier buffer will not solve the fouling issue directly, it will reduce it as the majoirty of the fouling on suppressed weapons does come from when the bolt unlocks from the gasses, be it DI or Piston or Blowback.

A smaller gas port is really the ideal way to setup the system, as this will reduce recoil and fouling from the gas tube.

I think some of the people want the E3 bolt due to the longer life of the bolt, extractor and the extractor springs.

I've shot Grant's gun and its very slick, low recoil and low fouling.

That said with proper materials and coatings you can get suppressed 11.5" DI guns that will run 5k rounds without cleaning or lube, and still cycle M855 without the can at the end.

FYI at SHOT we are starting to sell SBR's
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Buffers dont solve the problem, they are really an band-aid solution.
    A heavier buffer will not solve the fouling issue directly, it will reduce it as the majoirty of the fouling on suppressed weapons does come from when the bolt unlocks from the gasses, be it DI or Piston or Blowback.

A smaller gas port is really the ideal way to setup the system, as this will reduce recoil and fouling from the gas tube.

I think some of the people want the E3 bolt due to the longer life of the bolt, extractor and the extractor springs.

I've shot Grant's gun and its very slick, low recoil and low fouling.

That said with proper materials and coatings you can get suppressed 11.5" DI guns that will run 5k rounds without cleaning or lube, and still cycle M855 without the can at the end.

Kevin is spot on concerning the buffers and such.

One of the few components I believe that EXCEED'S the TDP is the KAC E3 Bolt/barrel extension setup.

Now if I could just get a hold of them on a barrel I want.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We don't sell short barrels commercially at this time, or I would.
    That is a shame. I hope one day that will change.
    USMC vet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    One of the few components I believe that EXCEED'S the TDP is the KAC E3 Bolt/barrel extension setup.

Now if I could just get a hold of them on a barrel I want.

C4
    Now if we could just get KAC to license that design to other OEMs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Read what you posted on barfcom and got all excited. Gotta say I love my SR-15 E3, but always wanted a factory built SR-15 SBR from you guys. You have just made 2011 a wonderful year to look forward to.

God Bless and a happy and healthy new year!

HC

Feedback Score
    'S exactly why I want it, and I'm willing to bet is why magic_salad chose to pull the barrel extensions from his SR-15 barrels so he can use the bolts in new guns.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast