Thread: Arsenal SGL20 Saiga questions

Feedback Score

Arsenal SGL20 Saiga questions

Hey all , I got my first AK over the weekend and took it right to the range. I showed up late so I only got about 10 shots in before they closed . I picked up some of my spent shells and noticed a dent or stamp mark in the side of all of them . I did a quick web search , found out its a common thing . One person said something about a "buffer" to help with the problem . So what I want to know is what this buffer is , where it goes? How will it effect my AK , pros and cons ? Thanks

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It's not a problem, it's normal.

Recoil buffers are one of the only things I've seen make a properly functioning AK **** up.

Don't mess with what works....embrace the dent, cherish it, it means your AK is healthy and running as it should.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks Templar, thats what I needed to know.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    It's not a problem, it's normal.

Recoil buffers are one of the only things I've seen make a properly functioning AK **** up.
    No kidding. The only valid reason I've ever seen for a recoil buffer is for builders who cut the rear channel for the bolt carrier too large so it pops off the rails without one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebb105 View Post
    One person said something about a "buffer" to help with the problem . So what I want to know is what this buffer is , where it goes? How will it effect my AK , pros and cons ? Thanks
    In the context you describe (dinging brass), I believe that person was talking about a "port buffer" which installs at the rear of the ejection port, rather than a recoil buffer which fits onto the recoil spring guide.

http://www.robertrtg.com/valmetbuffer.html

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    There are valid reasons for recoil buffers, just not on a standard config. If you are running a suppressed gun they can be of use.