Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rails and grinding off the FSB?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Rails and grinding off the FSB?

I'm thinking I may put longer rails on my Colt 6933. To do so... which rails would go over the ground down fsb? I am leaning towards LaRue or DD Lites. Will both work over the ground off FSB?

Is one easier to install than the other? I Really don't want to take my BBL off or FSB off.... I'd rather just dremel off the FSB if that's a good option.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It is possible to grind down the FSB to fit under a Larue or a DD Lite, but it will require more grinding for either of those than a DD M4.

Feedback Score
    jon, your gonna have to take your FSB off either way in order to get the barrel nut on for your larue or DD rail.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    From experience, it takes an awful lot of grinding to get under a LT rail. While I definitely prefer the security of the pinned block, if I had to do it all over again I'd consider using one of the low-pro blocks and saving my standard FSB. If it's completely under a rail I don't feel as worried about not having it pinned...
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    ADCO will pin a low profile GB with one pin for 35.00 and actual shipping. Unless you are unsure of removing your barrel, not a big deal.
    Peace, Jerry

I don't drink the koolaid

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I average 1-3 'shave' jobs on FSBs a week. These fit under Troy, Daniel Defense RIS II/Lite Rails/M4 rails, LaRue rails, JP/VTAC, PRI FF tubes etc.

'Shaved' and Norrell moly resin coated blackish/gray:

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    jon, your gonna have to take your FSB off either way in order to get the barrel nut on for your larue or DD rail.

Dayum! I was hoping not to have to do that. I just dont have a vice set up, nor the proper tools. Might have to do some checking around! I do know of a Class II not too far away.. maybe he'd help me do it. I think I should go ahead and put a good rail on after spending the real money on a Colt. Or...... just keep the FSB unshaved... guess for a good rail it still has to come off to install anything decent eh?

How are the DD Omega's? They don't look as nice IMO with the big screws on the side. Hmmmm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon G23 View Post
    Dayum! I was hoping not to have to do that. I just dont have a vice set up, nor the proper tools. Might have to do some checking around! I do know of a Class II not too far away.. maybe he'd help me do it. I think I should go ahead and put a good rail on after spending the real money on a Colt. Or...... just keep the FSB unshaved... guess for a good rail it still has to come off to install anything decent eh?

How are the DD Omega's? They don't look as nice IMO with the big screws on the side. Hmmmm
    Send it to GOTM4 and let him assemble it for you.
    Peace, Jerry

I don't drink the koolaid

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon G23 View Post

I once shaved a FSB on a .625" barrel while on the barrel (14.7" with a perm. mounted A2 flash hider) and used a 12" Omega. I won't do that again. It was very time intensive to get it small enough to fit under the Omega. I'm quite certain a .750" barrels FSB couldn't be made small enough to fit.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you don't want to remove the barrel then look at Troy or Samson. You only have to cut off the delta ring, snap ring, and spring.

matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast