Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict on the HK45?

Feedback Score

What's the verdict on the HK45?

The much anticipated HK45 was, to many, supposed to be the end-all be-all large frame .45 ACP. Has it lived up to its task; is the jury back with a verdict? I know some very knowledgeable people were involved in the design and it had great promise. So tell me, does it kick the snot out of a 1911?
    Last edited by 7.62NATO; 07-06-09 at 21:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62NATO View Post
    So tell me, does it kick the snot out of a 1911?
    IMO ... no.

But it is probably the king of all tupperware .45's.

I'm pretty happy with mine.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    its a great gun

personally I would buy a G21SF or a M&P 45 before an HK45....i am not a DA/SA guy though, so YMMV

i
    VA Arms Co alumnus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62NATO View Post
    So tell me, does it kick the snot out of a 1911?
    No. The HK45 is like an improved USP with a changeable backstrap and an ambidextrous slide release. The ergonomics are much nicer than what you find in the USP. I believe the ambi-mag release lever is better than the USP's as well. The core of the pistol seems to be what HK learned from the USP design.

The HK45 does feel good in the hand. It is easier to field strip and clean than a 1911. It probably would handle extended use/abuse in the field better than a 1911 also. That said, I prefer shooting with a nicely tuned 1911 pistol.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Kick the snot out of it? It certainly gives the 1911 a run for it's money. It will match or better most custom 1911s accuracy wise, from what I've seen. The one area I can see the 1911 beating out the HK45 is pure speed shooting. Other than that one thing I honestly think the HK45 beats out the 1911. That's only my opinion though.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    ...I prefer shooting with a nicely tuned 1911 pistol.
    Isn't that a little unfair? Comparing a "tuned" 1911 to a factory built gun? Let's just say a Wilson or a Nighthawk being compared to a $900 out of the box gun.

Something like comparing Ferrari to a SL 500. Sure the SL is a great car. But does it compare to a Ferrari? NO! It's a different league.
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

JHP's are good times, for bad people.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    The HK45 is a fantastic combat pistol. If I was going to carry a pistol into WWIII the HK45 would be at the top of my list.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1911 and Glock 21 shooters aren't going to be "won over" by the HK45 if they weren't won over by the USP already. The HK45 is a slightly improved USP no more no less. The HK45 is not a game changer by any stretch.
    Last edited by Ian111; 07-07-09 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    What are the improvements over the USP, in terms of the "guts"?

I know that it has ergonomic improvements, and a non-proprietary RIS, but is the a difference in the operating system, so-to-speak?

Feedback Score
    I believe it has the O rings like the USP Expert, Tacticals, and MK23's. Otherwise not sure. I doubt they deviated too much if at all from the basic USP internals since the USP has proven itself over the years. The HK 45 was IMO a quick repackaging so it might have better chances of being adopted for the now ill fated US Military Joint Combat Pistol trials. Shooting characteristics and recoil impulse was very similar to a USP. In other words you feel that big honkin slide when it recoils, albeit its a more rounded big honkin slide. Trigger felt the same as a USP. A G21SF is slightly less fat and a 1911 is still heavy. And when you bring the HK45 up to eye level you definately notice that slide in your face . It was a little disconcerting at first after not shooting a HK tupperware for awhile.
    Last edited by Ian111; 07-07-09 at 19:37.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast