Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's the verdict on the HK45?

Feedback Score
    I'll just be glad to be able to find some .45 ammo to feed my HK45. That way, I can grip with the rest of you about how crappy the DA trigger is. Tried to find some ammo today, no joy.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Griping about the DA is like griping about the restrike mode on the P2000--nearly pointless. Especially if you carry C&L.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc142 View Post
    For around $60.00, return shipping included, Bill Springfield will make the DA trigger very nice and the SA even better. I no longer have my HK 45 but Bill did a nice trigger job on mine before I sold it.
    Has Springfield secured an FFL? Last I knew (per HKPRO.com) he didn't have one.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Can't really compare the full size 45... but I had the USPc and the HK45c and I like the original USPc better. Didn't like the HK45c's trigger or safety placement. Seemed a bit out of place compared to the USPc.

The interchangeble backstraps was a nice try, but it didn't seem like there was a big difference. With the S&W M&P backstraps, I can definitely feel the difference. I think the HK is way too pricey to not come with metal tritium night sights. If money were no option I think I would get an HK again. It just seems to me like there are more economical, and better value options out there.

Feedback Score
    My HK45's trigger in DA is better than the new Sig DA triggers out there. It is a bit long, but it's not too bad. Is yours US or German made?
    German

Griping about the DA is like griping about the restrike mode on the P2000--nearly pointless. Especially if you carry C&L.
    Not everyone does.
    Last edited by dobe; 07-11-09 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    I own both, HK45 and custom 1911s. They are both excellent guns in their own design but if you shoot thousands of rounds through each this is where the difference comes into play . The 1911 will require gunsmithing when you have to replace and tune all the internal parts as well as refitting the slide and frame. With an HK45, you just replace the part(s) with no adjustment and you're good to go. Greg has already posted a sticky on his HK45 and you can read the endurance he has put his through. No one has yet posted a sticky on a 1911 conducting a test similar to Greg's HK45.

To the OP, does the HK45 kick the snot out of a 1911? The answer is Yes, IF no change of parts or gunsmithing are included. The answer is No, IF you don't do a high volume of shooting. A 1911 will require more care in keeping it running reliably as oppose to HK45. Other than that, I would equally choose either one for self defense or carry out in the field.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    For a military secondary, an HK45 or other quality SA/DA defeats a 1911 of any standard and on any battlefield. Safer to carry, hi-cap, more reliable.

A quality 1911 can outshoot an HK45, but the tight tolerances don't allow the same reliability in rough environs. And I'm a 1911 guy; just not in combat.

If I were to carry a 1911 for a tactical application, I'd take a standard GI over my Loaded Operator just because of the looser tolerances.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

HK45

I recently picked up a slightly used HK45 after finding an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm no expert, but here are my thoughts:

It is extremely pleasant to shoot. There is no 'snap' or appreciable felt recoil although there is a bit of muzzle flip. I have found that the muzzle flip is very relative to how the gun is held. After experimenting a bit, I found a thumbs forward position that keeps it under good control and allows for fast follow up shots. Some people have stated that the full sized HK45 has excessive flip, while the 45c does not. I suspect the muzzle flip issue is relative to individual hands/grips. Although the gun works well for me this will be a problem for some.

The single action is excellent and far exceeded my expectations. I have about the largest hands you could imagine (6'8", size 17 shoe) and I have no issue with my finger getting pinched. It is light, crisp, and very easy to control. The double action really is bad, although it is a lot more pleasant if you use the decocker first. In any case, the double action is irrelevant to me and probably most people due to the cocked/locked option.

The decocking lever is a bit farther back on the gun than I would have liked it, and it took a bit of adjustment. I have not had any problems with accidental de-cocking, as the lever really does require a lot more force to decock than to unlock.

As others have stated, the gun is incredibly ergonomic and accurate.

On the downside, the night sights really are terrible and will only stay charged for a few hours.

All in all, I am very happy with the HK45. If you dismiss the finger pinch issue and the risk of de-cocking (as I have) the only real down sides to this gun are the night sights and the price. The night sights can be easily remedied, but the price off the gun and magazines might be a good enough reason for a lot of people to pick up the m&p instead. If you consider what trustworthy sources have said about reliability and durability, I'd definitely take it over a 1911 all things considered.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234