Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your impression of/take on the 6.8?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    But there you go again acting like somehow a successful 6.8 has anything to do with 5.56, this is what I don't get.
    I guess it all adds up to what your opinion of success is. Is success based on being prolific and affordable? Is success based on the performance of the cartridge? Or, is success based on displacing 5.56 as a rival? For me personally, if 6.8 could be as prolific as 5.56 and only cost approx 30% more it would be successful. Having our troops be equipped with a more effective cartridge wouldn't hurt either. This is just one mans opinion. Unfortunately, I don't expect any these things to happen. I had 16 PRI 28rd mags and sold them. Maybe I'll regret it. I wouldn't be the 1st time I ended buying something all over again.
    Last edited by Cagemonkey; 07-09-09 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I love my 6.8. Since I don't reload( I know that I should) the ammo is hard to come by and pricey when found.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    I guess it all adds up to what your opinion of success is. Is success based on being prolific and affordable? Is success based on the performance of the cartridge? Or, is success based on displacing 5.56 as a rival?
    I think for many folks this just about nails it - is it affordable and "prolific". Prolific also indicates that it is not a "novelty" or and unpopular cartridge where gun parts, ammo, and components for hand loading are not rare - and expensive when found. Fact is 6.8 is still in the "novelty" stage (I am simply using the term "novelty" because it was used upstream - no doubt there are better terms).

Simply said, as a 6.8 owner and shooter I am anxious about it's future. It is apparent the military has no real interest, although a few fed agencies appear to have limited regular use. That being the case, is a limited "enthusiast" user base enough to guarantee it's future? So far sort of - but at a high cost.

I would feel MUCH better if a real plinkering factory ammo became available (I don't think SSA's offering is going to fit the bill - it's going to be too costly). Folks then could better afford to use their AR's as they are meant to be - not as expensive hunting or "precision" rigs but as real training/hard use weapons. Hand loading gets you a lower cost per round but IMO that will change in the future as component costs will continue to rise and not come back down. Besides, primers are as hard to find as 9mm at Walmart right now - so that's no help.

As it stands right now, if I were a betting man I would say 6.8 future is not looking so good...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crenca View Post
    I think for many folks this just about nails it - is it affordable and "prolific". Prolific also indicates that it is not a "novelty" or and unpopular cartridge where gun parts, ammo, and components for hand loading are not rare - and expensive when found. Fact is 6.8 is still in the "novelty" stage (I am simply using the term "novelty" because it was used upstream - no doubt there are better terms).

Simply said, as a 6.8 owner and shooter I am anxious about it's future. It is apparent the military has no real interest, although a few fed agencies appear to have limited regular use. That being the case, is a limited "enthusiast" user base enough to guarantee it's future? So far sort of - but at a high cost.

I would feel MUCH better if a real plinkering factory ammo became available (I don't think SSA's offering is going to fit the bill - it's going to be too costly). Folks then could better afford to use their AR's as they are meant to be - not as expensive hunting or "precision" rigs but as real training/hard use weapons. Hand loading gets you a lower cost per round but IMO that will change in the future as component costs will continue to rise and not come back down. Besides, primers are as hard to find as 9mm at Walmart right now - so that's no help.

As it stands right now, if I were a betting man I would say 6.8 future is not looking so good...
    The military won't adopt it because A) It makes sense and its all ready developed. B) The logistics command in the Army has more say then Ordnance. C) It wasn't designed by the Army bureaucracy. D) Doesn't have the long range capabilities many want. One has to remember that Sec Def Macnamara forced the Army to adopt a rifle and caliber they didn't want. The M16. I would love to see the 6.8SPC succeed.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I use a Stag 6.8 for my patrol carbine. I have an identical Stag 5.56 setup for my backup carbine. Same Aimpoint, Larue mount, white light and mount, etc. I also have a .22LR conversion kit and BDM mags for use in my 5.56.

When ammo was cheap several years ago, I could pickup XM193 or Q3131A for around $129 on the state bid. Between my 5.56 and 45ACP Glock 21 I was shooting 5,000 to 6,000 rds a year between practice, classes, and quals. Needless to say, those days are gone.

But I am still shooting 5,000 to 6,000 rounds a year. It is just now around 60% 22LR, 25% 5.56, and 15% 6.8. With my AA conversion for the Glock I shoot around 75% 22LR and 25% 45ACP. I also try to get in quite a bit of dry fire practice. I shoot some Bullseye and PPC matches too, but use a .38 for those since I am officially an "old timer" If you want to practice a lot, just think outside the box. And if that is too much for your budget, dry fire is free.

I like the 6.8 because I may have to shoot into, or through, cars and or/windshields. I trust it because Doc GKR, and others, have shown it performs. I will continue to use the 6.8, doesn't matter if the military adopts it or not, but I will certainly not complain if the price comes down. But to say you're not going to use it, or another round, because it is too expensive is just silly if it is the best tool for your mission. I spend hundreds of dollars a year for life insurance, have spent $500-$600 on my plates and plate carrier, wear a $500 ballistic vest, so another $40 or $50 a year extra for 6.8 duty ammo is cheap in comparison. I guess it just depends on your mission and your priorities.

Feedback Score
    Why do people constantly say 6.8 SPC is a "novelty" when almost "every" major manufacturer of AR's and quite a few custom builders have at least one 6.8 in their line-up???????????

MadDog

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Own one? Which one and why? Planning to buy one? Which one and why? Don't own one? Why not? What, if anything are you waiting for, or is it something you'd never even consider? How much research have you done into the caliber? How much more would you do if the resources were easily (more?) accessible and easy to understand?
    Yes, I own 2. Which one? Well, first time out I had a hard time becuase I wanted it custom built from parts I chose.... TimW(before Titan armory) was gracious enough to take me under his wing and turned out an upper that could not been purchased from anywhere in the configuration it was built... not to mention the fact theat he broke it in for me with 1000 cycles and then fire lapped it with tubbs.... I have another one he is assembling on the same billet upper but in a different configuration.

Research... well lets just say that when I decided to sell the 7.62x39 and the DSA FAL in favor of the more modular and configurable AR platforms I looked into every other caliber other than the 6.8 first.... including but not limited to the 6.5G... I knew for certain I would not even think twice about a .223/5.56 caliber upper so I trolled for something larger... I got the run around and eventual blow off when it came to the 6.5g and I stumbled upon the 6.8forum by accident.... I joined the sit and found that it was unlike any other place... Knowledgeable "experts" willing to get you any info you needed and make sure to walk you hand in hand through the build... A wealth of knowledge is spilled into the forum for the good of the caliber not anything else.... Not a bunch of pissin and whining about senseless bs... just good hard facts and data to back it...

I never felt overwhelmed... in fact, all that info resulted in me having an intimate knowkedge of the caliber and the rig built around it.... I also gained the knowledge and ability to assemble my own lowers and uppers if need be....

As far as getting more info... its all there, I just have to want it... as far as it being easy to understand= If I never get out of my chair and immerse myself in it then its always going to sound like martian to me.... on the same token, if I try to concentrate on ballistic data, reloading data, build specs and general AR tech at once then things will again start to look and sound like martian.... I take it step by step and complete the previous before I begin the next...
    As far as I am concerned I dont see an easier mor understandible accessible way for info other than whats already in place....
    Its up to the end user to keep it stupid simple.
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I love the 6.8, I wish the army would make it standerd. They aren't, so that leaves civilians and law enforcement.
    Law enforcement hasen't adopted it.
    It dosen't shoot really far, so the long range guys won't latch onto it.
    Its not cheap and its not all over so the plinkers won't get into it.
    Its not used by the military all over so the civilian "me too's" won't want it.
    That leaves a pretty smart market for the round IMO. Personally, Im a me too. I like the Ar because parts and ammo are everywhere you go. Civilians, police, the entire military, anywhere in good ol america. So while I want a 6.8, I can't justify one when for the same cost I can get .308 for my Fal or cheap .223 and can find those rounds all over.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    [QUOTE=st_judas;406995]I want one badly. Dr. Roberts's NDIA presentation on rifle calibers. Really, that report should be all anyone need see before they have the craving for a 115gr OTM round at ~2600fps.

That's all i need! been wanting one badly for just the reason's the good dr listed.(not in his exact technical-ese). the fact that it was developed by tip of the spear end user's should tell us that ( and the gov't!) that this is the round we should be using in AR platform's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Why do people constantly say 6.8 SPC is a "novelty" when almost "every" major manufacturer of AR's and quite a few custom builders have at least one 6.8 in their line-up???????????

MadDog
    I agree with you MadDog. I've also noticed that several large ammo manufacturers are now churning out 68. I've spotted Cabelas carrying S&B 68 on several occasions.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast