Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping a friend

Feedback Score

Helping a friend

Here is the deal,

A friend recently asked for help in choosing a handgun for himself. My first recomendation was for him to shoot a M&P9, G17-G19, and HK P30 then buy whichever one he found comfortable/shot the best. He then talked to a couple local LEO who told him the 9mm was too weak, .45 ACP is the only caliber with "knockdown power", you know the rest. To make matters worse, they have convinced him that a Kimber series II is the best possible .45 ACP one can buy.

I told him that if he must have a .45 ACP handgun then he should look into the M&P45 and HK45, but he is dead set on getting a 1911 (with the Kimber leading the list). If I can't convince him to stay away from the lower tier 1911s, I atleast want to ensure that he gets the best possible 1911.

My problem is that I know very little about 1911s. I know many of you are extremely knowledgeable about the 1911 platform, so I am looking for help in ensuring that my friend doesnt end up with a piece of junk. His budget is $1000-$1200.

*I have nothing against 1911s or the .45ACP. I just don't have the time/money to go down that road.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddt06c View Post
    Here is the deal,

A friend recently asked for help in choosing a handgun for himself. My first recomendation was for him to shoot a M&P9, G17-G19, and HK P30 then buy whichever one he found comfortable/shot the best. He then talked to a couple local LEO who told him the 9mm was too weak, .45 ACP is the only caliber with "knockdown power", you know the rest. To make matters worse, they have convinced him that a Kimber series II is the best possible .45 ACP one can buy.

I told him that if he must have a .45 ACP handgun then he should look into the M&P45 and HK45, but he is dead set on getting a 1911 (with the Kimber leading the list). If I can't convince him to stay away from the lower tier 1911s, I atleast want to ensure that he gets the best possible 1911.

My problem is that I know very little about 1911s. I know many of you are extremely knowledgeable about the 1911 platform, so I am looking for help in ensuring that my friend doesnt end up with a piece of junk. His budget is $1000-$1200.

*I have nothing against 1911s or the .45ACP. I just don't have the time/money to go down that road.
    suggest he look at Dan Wesson. Their .45 ACP VALOR is awesome. They have other models but I think that for the money he cannot beat the Valor!
    Last edited by Ricardus; 07-08-09 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If he absolutely must have a Kimber then I would go with a lightly used pre-series II. You see them on gunbroker from time to time. Mine has been very good to me.

If you can get him away from the Kimber then I would recommend a lightly used Les Baer TRS (Thunder Ranch Special). I have seen them in the $1200-1400 price range.

Another one that is highly recommended but I have no personal experience with is the Springfield TRP. http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=26
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardus View Post
    suggest he look at Dan Wesson. Their .45 ACP VALOR is awesome. They have other models but I think that for the money he cannot beat the Valor!
    I have heard good things about the Valor as well. My DW Bobtail has been a good gun. Very tight but reliable.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Experience is a harsh teacher. If he won't listen to you, maybe the best thing is for him to buy a Kimber. Is he going to carry it? If not, no worries really.

After all, it is just a pistol and can be resold fairly easily.

M_P

ToddG Guest
    If he listened to your advice and ignored it in favor of some cops who think the .45 and the Kimber are king of the heap, then it sounds to me like you've got a lot more respect for him than he has for you. His money, his karma, his lesson to learn. I say wish him luck and be there when he falls.

Feedback Score
    For $1000 to $1200 your friend actually has alot of good options for 1911s. My top three recommendations are the following:

1) Dan Wesson Valor or CBOB
    2) Springfield TRP or MC operator
    3) Colt XSE or Series 70

Even though I like 1911s, I would not spend $1000-$1200 on a platform that I'm not 100% sure that I would like. I actually think a better option for your friend is to pick up something like a Springfield Mil-spec which is a very good pistol for around $550 to $600 or lightly used Colt or pre-series II Kimber. He could use the rest of the money either for future purchases or practice.

Feedback Score
    What Todd G said. He asked you and then ignored you. I go bonkers when someone asks you for an opinion, doesn't like what he heard, then keeps asking until he gets the opinion he wanted to hear all along.

Feedback Score
    Grab popcorn and brace yourself for the ensuing lulz.
    Last edited by JiMfraRED1911; 07-08-09 at 22:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am currently in the process of learning the painful, literally, lesson on why sub-$1500 semi-custom 1911s are just not a good idea if you're going to use the pistol for anything serious.

If he is hell bent on .45ACP, try to sell your friend on an M&P45 or a HK .45. Money well spent (or saved in this case) in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast