Here is the deal,

A friend recently asked for help in choosing a handgun for himself. My first recomendation was for him to shoot a M&P9, G17-G19, and HK P30 then buy whichever one he found comfortable/shot the best. He then talked to a couple local LEO who told him the 9mm was too weak, .45 ACP is the only caliber with "knockdown power", you know the rest. To make matters worse, they have convinced him that a Kimber series II is the best possible .45 ACP one can buy.

I told him that if he must have a .45 ACP handgun then he should look into the M&P45 and HK45, but he is dead set on getting a 1911 (with the Kimber leading the list). If I can't convince him to stay away from the lower tier 1911s, I atleast want to ensure that he gets the best possible 1911.

My problem is that I know very little about 1911s. I know many of you are extremely knowledgeable about the 1911 platform, so I am looking for help in ensuring that my friend doesnt end up with a piece of junk. His budget is $1000-$1200.

*I have nothing against 1911s or the .45ACP. I just don't have the time/money to go down that road.