Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T-shirt holsters

Feedback Score

T-shirt holsters

Good morning guys,

I'm looking for an alternative carry option for my HK45c. I have a Comp MTAC which works beautifully in most situations. Nevertheless, I'm thinking about one of the following tshirt holsters. Are there any folks in here who have had experience with these? Are they worth a crap (do they hold up, I understand the associated draw problems)? Would you recommend one of these over the other? Are there others I should look at or should I just say screw it, bad idea to begin with?

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...FQw65QodfVtE1g

http://www.concealmentt.com/index.html

http://masterofconcealment.com/pgrou...rt/?return=%3f

Thanks!
    "It's your gun, so shoot it the way that is most comfortable to you, not the way some board critic thinks you should shoot it." -Mega

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The only thing worse than using a t-shirt holster is not having a gun at all so I guess it is a step up. The only way I would use it is if I was also carrying a primary on my belt and this was a back up and even then its a lousy place for one. I feel they are all marketing gimics.

With the advancements in holster technology and materials finding a quality holster to fit your needs is simple. Just look to your major holster manufacturers.

What holsters have you tried that have been inadequate that you feel this will be a fix?
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wouldn't recommend these shirt holster type things. Yes I tried one in my early days of carrying my M&P9c (a 5-11 Tactical), and sadly even recommended it to a few friends until I learned more. They nearly always print, they sag if your CCW is of any weight at all, and retention of anything larger than tiny pistols such as Kahr PM9, Rohrbaugh, etc., is often not good. In the one that I had, my M&P 9c could slip right out of it if you were in certain positions (like bending over to pick something up). These things simply don't work that well IMO, are potentially dangerous (for potential ND's), and I would use almost anything else first if you can find something that works.

To add to that, there's a ton of great holsters available as SwatCop says, and I found that when I got a quality IWB leather/kydex combo holster and worked at it a bit, I was able to carry the M&P9 very comfortably. A lot of folks on this site have liked the Comp-Tac Minotaur holster for an IWB (this is what I'd get if I were buying a holster today, although I already have a CrossBreed Supertuck with the improved steel clips, and it's worked fine too). Or check out Raven Concealment for a great kydex options including index carry holsters. There are lots of great holster makers (see the sticky thread), but these are a couple that come to mind.
    Last edited by maximus83; 09-19-11 at 13:02. Reason: add holster options

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input. As I said, I have a Comp-Tac MTAC (Minotaur) (Although I had a typo above...). I love it. Works great for most situations. My delima is that I want to carry at work, and I don't want anything showing. That includes the belt clips. So, I am just looking for solutions. My concerns were echoed by maximus83. I just can't see how they would not sag and could secure the weapon without falling out. So I appreciate the feed back. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!
    "It's your gun, so shoot it the way that is most comfortable to you, not the way some board critic thinks you should shoot it." -Mega

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    There are a few times when I have to carry in a very non-permissive environment. These are times when I'm limited to a simple shirt and pants either slacks or jeans. For these very few times when there is NO OTHER WAY possible to carry I will use an ankle holster.

I have a lot of time on the range with this mode of carry and I DO NOT recommend it for anything other than a "no other option" carry scenario.

When I do carry this way I have two pairs of pants that I have had the local mama-san shop sew hook and loop along the seam so I can pull my pant leg and have immediate access to the firearm.

99.99999999% of the time I will carry OWB or IWB and I have yet to be "made" even by those who know I'm a LEO and I'm always carrying.

YMMV but I would ankle carry 100% of the time over a t-shirt holster.

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am not going to highly RECOMMEND this approach, because I am not really sure how well it has been validated by the larger shooting community. Some well known shooters tried it and thought it was viable--not that I'm saying you're a "skirt wearer" :-) but I think the point is Todd thought the SC was an option). Although I don't know if he still endorses SmartCarry or not. Anyway, I have found that for me, the best "deep concealment" carry method when I can't carry IWB has been the SmartCarry. There are certain drawbacks/limitations to this method too (as with ankle or any other method), mostly that it's a little slower to access the pistol, and it can feel a little weird at first having it riding right in front of your junk. Some can never quite accept that, I found that it was tolerable and with a small/light pistol, I was even able to go on an extended bike ride with my daughter, go running while carrying it inside the running shorts, etc. I would definitely not want to carry my full IWB with the M&P9c while running or biking, or in places where I need deep concealment.

There aren't a lot of great or reliable options out there after you get beyond traditional waistband carry, but I do understand the need for deep concealment in some cases and the SmartCarry is one option to check out.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    When I do carry this way I have two pairs of pants that I have had the local mama-san shop sew hook and loop along the seam so I can pull my pant leg and have immediate access to the firearm.
    Could you elaborate a little on this? If you have pics that would be great too. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    99.99999999% of the time I will carry OWB or IWB and I have yet to be "made" even by those who know I'm a LEO and I'm always carrying.
    Swatcop, I'm wondering about your experiences with IWB (this also ties to the OP's question).

Have you ever worked with the various "tuckable" IWB solutions, such as the Compac Mtac that the OP has? Are the "tuckable" IWB holsters adequate to keep a ccw deeply concealed when you absolutely cannot afford to be "made" in a public setting? I have experimented with the "tuckable" approach (using dress shirts, etc.) on my Crossbreed holster, and have never really been satisfied. Always seemed like it printed excessively, plus it is easy to get the shirt all tangled when trying to access the CCW.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Could you elaborate a little on this? If you have pics that would be great too. Thanks.
    No pics right now sorry. I am right handed and when I have to carry this way I have the holster on the inside of my left leg so that I have easy access whether I kneel down or access it from a seated position. Basically I look the seam out on the inside of the left leg from the pant cuff to about twelve inches up or just below my knee. I then had thin hook velcro sewn on one side with thin loop sewn on the other. I can grab the pant cuff and pull which opens the pant leg and grants uninhibited access to the holster and firearm. Again not ideal but with training it does become an option.

You just have to resign to the fact that you will look like a jackass with your pant leg pulled open like a huge bell bottom while moving to a point of cover but se la vi.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Swatcop, I'm wondering about your experiences with IWB (this also ties to the OP's question).

Have you ever worked with the various "tuckable" IWB solutions, such as the Compac Mtac that the OP has? Are the "tuckable" IWB holsters adequate to keep a ccw deeply concealed when you absolutely cannot afford to be "made" in a public setting? I have experimented with the "tuckable" approach (using dress shirts, etc.) on my Crossbreed holster, and have never really been satisfied. Always seemed like it printed excessively, plus it is easy to get the shirt all tangled when trying to access the CCW.
    I personally am not a fan of the tuckable IWB due to how they bunch up around the holster and when doing dry run with them I've had issues with the handgun becoming entangled in the cover garment or being able to clear the cover garment out of the way. I always felt that the bunched up shirt with clips hanging out was a bigger give away that a simple untucked shirt covering a well designed and manufactered IWB holster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast