Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your feeling on a Keltec PF9 or P3AT?

Feedback Score

Whats your feeling on a Keltec PF9 or P3AT?

I am looking for something small and thin for discreet CC. My local dealer has both for 260 out the door and I could probably talk him down some more or sweeten the deal some how. What do you guys think of each...is one better than the other? What is your opinion of the Keltecs? I am leaning towards the 9mm just because of the ammo price/availability/and it packs more punch than a .380. I know a lot of guys love those P3AT's. Anyone with some knowledge?
    Last edited by .357sigger; 07-11-09 at 19:02.
    “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training.” Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been planning on getting a PF9. They are very slim which I need in the summer in phoenix [I print easy]. Evenone I've talked to said even if the gun isen't 100% kel-tec customer service is top notch and will make it right. I figure why not give it a try for the price?

Feedback Score
    I've had a P3AT for about 8-9 months. I'd wanted an LCP but they were impossible to find. I came upon a great deal on the Keltec and decided at the price I would try it. So far it's ran great. I have about 400 rounds through it. The P3AT looks homely (IMO), shoots to point of aim and feeds everything I run through it. It slips in a pocket and proves to be the gun I can carry when I can't "carry".

If you search the forums it sounds very hit and miss on Keltecs. Some love them like children and others hate them. I guess I fall in the middle. My total experience with Keltec is exactly one so take it for what it's worth.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My wife has one, although I got more rounds through it then her...

I don't like it but the size is good for a BUG (Back Up Gun)...

Hurts my hand to shoot it, but if its a back up, I guess who cares...

I know some folks who have them and NEVER had a problem with them...

Others have an issue, send them off to the factory and then are usually fixed after that...

Mine Sucks, I have a mis-fire every few rounds... CLICK, No-BOOM...

So I will never carry it for lack of reliability factor...

To each there own...

I'd imagine the Ruger version would be a better quality/performer...

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I had two P3ats and both were dependable. I sold the last one when I decided I wanted a 9mm pocket gun rather than a .380 (ammo price and availability did have an influence on my decision too).

I liked the size of the P3at and it shot well enough but was not comfortable and I barely shot it enough to stay proficient. I even added an Armalaser to it some months before I sold it off.

After deciding I wanted 9mm pocket gun I found a used Kahr PM9 at the LGS and feel I got a pretty good deal (some times they are Ok on price other times not).

I am very satisfied with the Kahr. It has functioned without complaint with every type of ammo I have tried. I like to shoot it and it carries great. Not a super compact like the P3at but much better than the G27 I had or the M&P compact I have.

So, if you want a Kel Tec I say go for it (I would give the PF9 a ride personally) and see how it works for your purpose. I had good luck with them but in the end decided that I wanted something a little bigger and easier to shoot.

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    Well I am going to go with the pf9...anyone else have experience with one? How about a good place for extra mags?
    “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training.” Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER

Feedback Score
    i have both and they are good guns -- very good guns if you consider the price

i feel the p3at is the better over all because of it's size to power ratio

they are also very accurate for such small pistols

the only gripes i have are with the pf9

1. the rail is silly and makes the gun much bigger than it need to be in a critical area for concealment
    2. the gun over all it bigger than i want a 9 in - keltec's in my mind should be the the smallest gun available in a given caliber and several manufactures have smaller 9's than the pf9 - i went with the kahr
    3. the slide to frame mating is sloppy i.e. it rattles , this doesn't seem to effect accuracy and it may help with reliability but it makes the gun feel cheap

Feedback Score
    I have been carrying it every day, every where, either as a BUG or as a primary carry in a pocket holster. As far as small guns go, the 9mm caliber is the smallest I will carry and feel completely armed with it. The PF9 allows me to do so in a package that I can hide adequately. It is very accurate and the trigger beats the heck out of my P-11. I wish I had one of the small lasers for the rail but have yet to make the investment.

tex45acp
    All it takes for evil to occur, is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!

Feedback Score
    I have had a PF-9 for a while now.
    With Kel-Tec's the Fluff&Buff (basically a de-burring; see Kel-Tec forum for instructions) is in my opinion mandatory when you first bring it home. From owning Kel-Tecs before, I did this before I ever fired the weapon. Mine has functioned flawlessly with every ammo I've tried.
    I added the eraser trigger stop and that helps (see Kel-Tec forum for instructions). And I changed out the magazine release from a plastic to a metal unit. I had to shim the rear sight to get it sighted in. This may sound like a lot but it isn't really.
    Although it functions well, it is not a pleasure to shoot. And as with all Kel-Tecs it is not designed nor made to shoot thousands of rounds.
    It is purpose driven: light weight, concealable, economical, not heavy duty. If you approach it as a tool specialized for that purpose, you'll be pleased.
    Stay safe.

Feedback Score
    Well I splurged and got both a p3at and a pf9...

Now that I have them I need to find a good holster(s) for them. What do you guys recommend? Any ideas are appreciated...

CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast