Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slamming mags in HK45?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Question slamming mags in HK45?

I have noticed when slamming my mags in the HK45 it auto releases the slide. Built this way by design? I expect it is but did not know? If it is, what other pistols are built this way. I can slip them in easy and drop the slide with my thumb if I desire, fyi. Thank you experts in advance.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My P30 and others I have shot also do it. I don't however think it is part of the design though... Could be wrong but I doubt it.

Feedback Score
    Mine does the same thing when I over-lube (i.e., not paying attention and being sloppy). Pretty much every HK I've known and even my Glock will do it if given enough force.

Feedback Score
    Don't believe it was in the design, and you may not be able to count on it every time. My HK45 and my P30 both will do this. If I lean the handgun to the right while slamming the mag., I've noticed that it almost always releases the slide.
    Last edited by dobe; 07-11-09 at 22:44.

ToddG Guest
    Check your manual. I don't have a HK45 manual but I'm willing to bet, like most HK manuals, it says something like this:

WARNING: Forcefully inserting a loaded magazine into many pistols may cause the
    pistol’s slide to close, chambering a cartridge and making the pistol ready to fire.
    When inserting a magazine, always be sure the P Series is pointed in a safe direc-
    tion with your fingers off the trigger and outside the trigger guard. Failure to do so
    could cause you to unintentionally fire the pistol, resulting in serious injury or death.
    Ordinarily, I recommend against doing this purposely for two reasons:
    1. On occasion, the slide will go forward without stripping the top round from the magazine. Now you've essentially induced a stoppage.
    2. More often, the slide fails to go forward because something (angle, force, etc.) isn't quite right. The shooter drives the gun forward thinking it's in battery and when it fails to fire, he falls into a diagnostic mode trying to get it working.

Having said that, it's worth noting that at least one major federal LE agency issuing P-series HK's actually teaches its personnel that this auto-forward technique is a viable reload method.

Feedback Score
    Is this maybe a result of the very large and long (comparatively) slide release?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic4450 View Post
    Is this maybe a result of the very large and long (comparatively) slide release?

That was my thought also, especially since the right side seems looser than it should be. I have learned to just deal with it....

I do think that the slide stops on this pistol (P30) is its weakest link. I had to learn an entirely new grip to shoot it properly (not that its a bad thing to learn).

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    All poly handguns do this to my knowledge. Some people reload this way on purpose (although I don't think it is a great idea).
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My Springfield 1911 TRP does not do it, and my XD's do not do it. It seems like a good design feature as long as it functions well. It has functioned perfectly when doing it. No jams or issues. I am going to check the manual and see if it references it.

Greg, if it functions well, why do you not like the concept?
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-12-09 at 10:17.

Feedback Score
    I think the problem is that you cannot depend upon it working every time. Therefore, if you are expecting it to happen and it doesn't, you will be delayed in chambering a round.

I personally do not feel there is a problem with the slide not picking up a round. The slide is already as far back as it would be if you were to manually release the slide. Because the slide is locked to the rear, the same amount of force is being transfered It should always chambers as well as manually releasing, when it actually releases.

The problem still exist in that it may not release as expected when you need it most.
    Last edited by dobe; 07-12-09 at 10:34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast