Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9x19mm FMJ advantages?

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    If you zoom in on the end-flap of the box in the picture, you can see that the ammo is actually Winchester’s 9mm NATO 124 grain FMJ load (RA9124N), which can hardly be considered “hot.” 9mm 124 grain NATO loads are not any faster than a modern standard pressure 124 grain hollow point load, such as the 124 grain Speer Gold Dot.
    Actually, the 124gr NATO ammunition is at or just above the 9mm Luger SAAMI pressure specification. You can't draw too close of a conclusion about pressure from velocities alone, but FWIW the WW NATO load's velocity falls almost exactly in between the standard 124gr Gold Dot and the +p Gold Dot.

It's definitely hotter than most commercial 9mm FMJ practice ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    FWIW the WW NATO load's velocity falls almost exactly in between the standard 124gr Gold Dot and the +p Gold Dot.
    No, it doesn't. As an example, the chronograph printout shown below is from the Speer 124 grain Gold Dot (standard pressure load) fired from a Beretta 92. The instrumental velocity at 21 feet is 1114 fps.

Now take a look at the next chronograph printout. This printout is from the Winchester 9mm 124 grain NATO load fired from the same Beretta 92, fired immediately after the Gold Dot load was fired. The instrumental velocity at 21 feet is 1108 fps; 6 fps less than the standard pressure Gold Dot load.

Here is some additional data comparing the 9mm NATO load (Federal's this time) to several other service loads. All loads were fired from a SIG Sauer P229 with a 3.8" barrel.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

ToddG Guest
    All I can tell you is that both from my experience, the results of testing I've seen at two manufacturers, and the information from a federal agency I used to deal with very closely that shot both the NATO ammo and standard-pressure HydraShok, the NATO ammo was hotter. If you got chrono data contrary to that, ok.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've seen what Todd describes. Perhaps ammo lot and individual gun/barrel variations explain this.

Anyway, when all I could get was 115gr JHPs for my 9mms (speaking about back in the day) I carried a back-up magazine of ball ammo.
    Now-a-days I carry strictly duty type JHP ammo.

FWIW, in my experience the DPX penetrates hard objects like car doors far better than ball, and it still expands.

Unless you need a bullet to shoot completely through a gelatin block there is no advantage to carrying ball ammo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If I remember this ammo is hot and NYPD did some extensive testing with it.
    Last edited by sjc3081; 07-13-09 at 06:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    All I can tell you is that both from my experience, the results of testing I've seen at two manufacturers, and the information from a federal agency I used to deal with very closely that shot both the NATO ammo and standard-pressure HydraShok, the NATO ammo was hotter. If you got chrono data contrary to that, ok.

Hydra-Shok??? That’s what you’re basing your comparison on? My grandmother runs faster than Hydra-Shok. The standard pressure Hydra-Shok is some of the slowest duty ammo on the market. The 124 grain +P+ Hydra-Shok is hardly faster than the standard pressure 124 grain Gold Dot.

Last edited by Molon; 07-13-09 at 18:20.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 298436 View Post
    Is there any possible advantage that FMJ features over quality JHP loads in any ballistic comparison?

For example: superior metal penetration, deeper penetration for hunting hogs, windshields?

Note: this is not an excuse to discredit JHP loads. I was simply wondering if only a handgun were available, if it would be a good idea to have a mag of FMJ 124 or 115gr +P 9mm in the car.
    124gr+P Gold Dots penetrated car doors better than 115gr and 124FMJ that I tested IIRC.

Regular carry/protection loads will be quality JHP loads -- Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST.
    I really REALLY like 115gr DPX in a 9mm. THAT will penetrate your car!

I searched and aside from loads of penetration, there did not appear to much on the sides of comparison that I could find about 9x19 FMJ.
    In pine boards IIRC it penetrated around 3.5 boards, .45ACP penetrated around 2, and 357SIG around 4.5. In hard targets like car doors, it was about the same in comparison of effectiveness.

Additionally, does .45ACP have ideal penetration characterstics to 9x19?
    .45ACP will do better (less deflection) through windshields, 9mm will go through more sheet metal.

Feedback Score
    I have a 500rnd lot of GDHP +P on the way so I should be set on that.

Are there any -hot- SMG loads in JSP or JHP that ya'll know of? That Hirtenberger and the IMI SMG stuff is all FMJ. L7A1 would likely be way too hot anyways.

What would that 127gr Win Ranger T +P+ be like in a 9mm carbine?

What about SMG 10x22mm loads?

EDIT: oh, and does that 9mm 124gr +P GD go through both car doors or just one? I know it will go through one door and into the BG behind it but what about both doors?

Always good to know pragmatic limitations of ammo -- part of the mindset, tactics, skillset and gear order
    Last edited by 298436; 07-30-09 at 11:12.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What pistol was those loads launched from? I'm getting noticeably higher velocity from the same loads from my G17 and G34.

The whole SMG "hot" ammo thing is a myth in my experience. Everything that I have seen marketed has SMG ammo isn't loaded any hotter than regular 9mm ammo, and often clocks slower than various +p JHP rounds that I have checked.

If you think about the operation of a blowback operated SMG, it doesn't make sense to load ammo any hotter for them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For what it's worth when we've shot cars extensively with FMJs the ground was LITTERED with jacket fragments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12