Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a good first 9mm?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

What's a good first 9mm?

I am looking to pick up a rock solid 9mm that I could use as a CCW and that my wife could also shoot. Only 9mm that I have ever shot is the one issued to me by the USAF

I know most folks here are Glock and M&P folks but just looking for some options to check out. Thanks.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There are a couple of threads on this topic gathered here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ight=reference

and here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15243

Which I'm sure you overlooked.

M_P

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks much. I am a little slow on the search button.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I might be biased, but I say GLOCK 19...lol

SIG 239, 228, and 229 are nice choices too...

Feedback Score
    Go to your local range, rent a few and see what fits you best. It's all about feel and what you are comfortable with. Try different calibers. You might be suprised to find you are good shooting another caliber. Some of my fav 9mm CC pieces are the Kahr PM9 (though it is pricey), Glock 26, (please dont hate me everyone) Kel-Tec PF9, and S&W M&P. Those are just some of the CC's I have shot and like. Your results/tastes may vary.

As for your wife, let her try some weapons of her own choosing. I remember taking my wife with me for the first time, she loved being able to pick what she wanted. Chances are what you are comfortable with might not be what she is comfortable with. If she hasn't shot, see if she enjoys it and if she does, get her in a class. You might even want to take the class with her as a refresher.

Good Luck, be safe, and have fun! Let us know what you go with!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Being a .45 guy myself I have recently picked up a P30 that I like a lot. I had to learn a different grip than I was used to on my 1911, but the transition has been pretty seamless so far.

The M&P line is also very nice and very reasonably priced. The new "Pro" line I like a lot and will probably pick one up n the near future.

I also really like my Hk P7M8 but I wouldn't recommend it for heavy training, as it get as hot as a June bride in a feather bed...

The first thing to determine, will be what the pistols primary use will be.

I am sure others that know much more than I do will be along shortly with all of their technical wisdom.

Feedback Score
    First nine or last nine............Glock 19, 26, or Kahr K9 or P9.

Feedback Score
    My first answer is ususally the Glock 19. That coming from a Glock 22/23 shooter.

But lately, I have been eyeing the Smith and Wesson M&P. It fits better in my hand than the Glock does. Also, I like the stock sights that come with it. Plus the M&P does have the changeable backstraps and the optional thumb safety.

I have no experience shooting the M&P, but others here seem to have good things to say about it.

I did notice that the magazines for the M&Ps were running about $8.00 more than the Glocks, the last time that I checked.

Personally, I will probably stick with the Glock for myself. But, the wife and I are looking for an M&P for her. Our only difficulty is that we are having a hard time locating one of the M&P 40c's with a thumb safety. (The thumb safety, and the .40 caliber, is something my wife is insisting on)

Feedback Score
    My suggestion is S&W M&P9 (fs). For options other than M&P and Glock you may want to consider the Walther P99.

Feedback Score
    I think you should go to a range and attempt to rent as many 9mms as possible and find out which ones work best for you. There are numerous handguns available that are high quality and have solid reputations. You can't go wrong with a Glock, M&P, Beretta, HK, SIG, CZ, Browning, etc...

That said, I would look at the CZ line up particularly the CZ-75 or if you are looking to carry the CZ p-01. I have been extremely impressed with my CZ-75 and it is very reasonably priced.

However, if I had just one 9mm it would have to be the Browning hi-power. Out of all the 9mms that I have owned or fired, nothing quite matches the hi-power in overall accuracy, handling, or reliability although the CZ-75 does comes very close. The Browning makes it so easy to shoot well IMO.
    Last edited by crusader377; 07-12-09 at 14:56.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast