Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weak hand carry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Weak hand carry

I sprained my right wrist pretty bad last night and it got me thinking...with my strong hand in a splint for the better part of a week, there's no way I would be able to draw and operate my pistol from my normal IWB holster. Now we all know the importance of training with the weak hand (which I do) but who here has actually given thought to purchasing a weak side holster for use in the event that your strong hand should become temporarily unusable?

It is definitely something I'm going to be doing in the near future along with increasing my weak hand training by a good amount.

This also got me thinking about the benefit of carrying a safe action pistol, a Double Action with a decocker, or a revolver as there are no manual safeties to operate without shifting grip.
    I like girl scout cookies.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blob View Post
    This also got me thinking about the benefit of carrying a safe action pistol, a Double Action with a decocker, or a revolver as there are no manual safeties to operate without shifting grip.
    This.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Carried a pistol on duty for 5 weeks, qualified with my duty pistol (not modified, had to do the same course as everyone else), and shot Larry Vickers 2 day pistol class with support hand only. The only part of Larry's pistol class that I did not do was type III malfunctions. I could have done them but I would have been a major safety violation to everyone else on the range.

My strong arm was in a sling after shoulder surgery.

And shooting wasn't the only thing I had to learn to do support hand only (brushing my teeth, dressing myself (think about trying to zip you your pants with only one hand), preparing and eating food, tying my shoes, wipping my ass, signing my name, etc.)

It's mindset. It was a major inconvience and took a lot of patients. You learn to adapt.

Edited to add: I borrowed a left handed holster from another Detective for the 5 weeks I was in the sling.

S/F,
    Jeff

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blob View Post
    there's no way I would be able to draw and operate my pistol from my normal IWB holster.
    While not what I'd recommend if you know your strong hand/arm will be out of commission, this is still something you need to consider. If you cannot draw from your normal carry rig unless your strong hand is free and mobile, what are you going to do if your invitation to a gunfight comes in the form of a bullet disabling your strong hand or harm?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    While not what I'd recommend if you know your strong hand/arm will be out of commission, this is still something you need to consider. If you cannot draw from your normal carry rig unless your strong hand is free and mobile, what are you going to do if your invitation to a gunfight comes in the form of a bullet disabling your strong hand or harm?
    Are you still appendix carrying?
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Are you still appendix carrying?
    Indeed. It's been almost exactly one year since I switched.

Feedback Score
    I keep weak hand rigs for my primary sidearms to cover longterm situations & I carry my BUG offside to deal w/ the immediate issue. Various A/C separations, breaks & cuts have taught me the hard way to be prepared for that situation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I can draw with my left hand from my right side if needed, but it's not ideal. You make an excellent point though and that is something I will incorporate into my training also.
    I like girl scout cookies.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Our department does a small bit of training on drawing the gun using the weak hand (should your strong hand become disabled). It can be done, but those with larger bellies, have more to contend with.

I once impaled my strong hand on a chain link fence (that the dope boys had bent the top part up). While I was restricted to administrative duties, I was still armed at work. Borrowed a left hand holster from a friend. I immediately went to the range to practice. Had to really concentrate on the basics.

I have to admit, shooting with the weak hand only is much easier than brushing your teeth with the weak hand only, or zipping up your pants... It's the little things in life we take for granite.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Semantics Alert: I've always preferred to call it my "support" side rather than weak. It is indeed my support side, but it doesn't have to be weak.

Mindset thing, I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast