Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YHM Stainless Phantom Suppressor

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

YHM Stainless Phantom Suppressor

I've been thinking about buying a suppressor for quite some time now and I'm planning on getting the YHM Stainless Phantom (QD) suppressor for a few reasons. First, I've been reading a lot of great reviews about it and a friend of mine owns one and he really likes. I did some research and I think the price is right. A local dealer wants $510 (before taxes) for the QD model and mount. I'm AD Air Force and I don't know where I'll be heading next (or when) so I don't feel like paying $1K for something I may not use often.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this suppressor and is the price right? Also, it will be going on an LMT 16" Defender 2000.
    Last edited by Shotdown; 07-14-09 at 05:40.

Feedback Score
    They are nice cans. If it were me I'd get the .308 can. It will run just fine on the .223 matter of fact I'm not sure to the shooter that it isn't more quite than its .223 counterpart. Plus the fact you then have a can you can run on multiple calibers. The can its self is ok, it isn't a high end can but for the money you can't beat it. I have 1 along with several others and it is a nice can, a lil heavy, but a good can overall.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's a good value in a can. I'd buy one.

As silent weapon stated, there's a lot of guys going to 7.62 cans on their 5.56s. It seems to work good, and dramatically reduces a baffle/end cap strike.

But the Phantom is a pretty well rated can for sound suppression.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    There was a recent article in SAR about the YHM suppressors and I believe it was the Phantom stainless in .308. They talked about the versatility and ability of using it on 5.56/6.8/ 7.62 weapons. I think there may be one of these in my future.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    The only dis advatgess to the .308 can is, is length. They are a lttle longer, enough so that is will make even a 11.5" gun feel front heavy. But you can live with it. I realize there is a weight differnce, but its hard to tell both cans are built like tanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an AAC M4-2000, and if I had to do it all over again I would seriously consider the YHM offering. the M4-2000 is a superb can, but the marginal cost/benefit question exists.

And I probably would go for a 7.62 can for the versatility.
    Last edited by Boss Hogg; 07-14-09 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'll have to look into the 7.62 can. How much longer would it make a 16" rifle? I'm plan on purchasing an AK and maybe an .308 in the future.

A bit off subject but I have a friend that's trying to haggle the price for me on an M4-1000. If you had the chance to purchase the M4-1000 (with mount) for about $40 more, which would you go with?
    Last edited by Shotdown; 07-14-09 at 14:23.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown View Post

A bit off subject but I have a friend that's trying to haggle the price for me on an M4-1000. If you had the chance to purchase the M4-1000 (with mount) for about $40 more, which would you go with?
    I have two M4-1000s an 07 and an 08. The M41k will probably be lighter. I've only shot the YHM carbon steel phantom, and it was pretty much comparable to the M4-1000, but slightly heavier.... not sure if the stainless is the same weight.

I'd be happier with either really.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a phantom in 5.56. I have been around quite a few different types of cans in the last couple of years, and I think that the YHM can is one of the best deals out there. I am a big fan of the AAC product line, but I am weary of a baffle strike with them. About the only way to get a baffle strike with a YHM is to just put it on the mount with out screwing it down. YHMs mounts are ugly, but they are probably the most effective at keeping your can on. I remember a conversation that Robb and I had a while back, and as I recall he has had his shoot loose. Not to the point of causing a baffle strike, but loose none the less.

I have shot Robb's and I really like the balance. Robb and I both have 10" LMTs that they are shot off of, and I prefer the balance of the AAC. The YHM is heavy and gives you a very muzzle heavy gun on a 16". I give the AAC nod in the looks department. In the suppression side it is about the same, but the AAC does have a ping to it.

Matt

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glockshooter View Post
    I have a phantom in 5.56. I have been around quite a few different types of cans in the last couple of years, and I think that the YHM can is one of the best deals out there. I am a big fan of the AAC product line, but I am weary of a baffle strike with them. About the only way to get a baffle strike with a YHM is to just put it on the mount with out screwing it down. YHMs mounts are ugly, but they are probably the most effective at keeping your can on. I remember a conversation that Robb and I had a while back, and as I recall he has had his shoot loose. Not to the point of causing a baffle strike, but loose none the less.

I have shot Robb's and I really like the balance. Robb and I both have 10" LMTs that they are shot off of, and I prefer the balance of the AAC. The YHM is heavy and gives you a very muzzle heavy gun on a 16". I give the AAC nod in the looks department. In the suppression side it is about the same, but the AAC does have a ping to it.

Matt

I had two M4-2000s that were replaced with M4-2000 Mod 07s. I sold one off after getting it back. The Mod 07 I have now has been great. The actual sound of it compared to Matts sounds identical to me. Mine is lighter. I think the YHM cans are a great deal for the money. I plan to buy a stainless Phantom as soon as we (VA Arms) has our SOT.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast