Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: handgun dilemma

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

handgun dilemma

I have 2 high end 1911s and a glock 19 with preban mags (NY). The 2 1911s fit my hand great and point naturally, that's not to say the glock doesn't fit me well, just that the 1911s fit very well. After buying them I have limited funds for ammo and have no training. This bothers me since I'd like to be more serious about my shooting and start being more acquainted with my guns and take classes/go to competitions.
    I can't help but think I could sell the 2 1911s (this would crush my heart) and get 2 glocks, 2 lights, ammo, take a class, and buy my 3rd ar with an optic. I don't shoot the glocks as well but I'm sure I would after a few thousand rounds and training. They are simple rugged and reliable as hell where the the 1911s are accurate, dead sexy and hand fitting.
    What's everyone's advice hear?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'll offer my humble opinion. There's alot to be said with being comfortable with a handgun, there is also alot to be said with being able to afford to shoot it. I have a nice 1911 sitting in my safe that a friend built for me years ago. I was always mediocre, at best, with it while anyone else that shoots 1911s loves it. I was unable to afford enough ammo to be profecient with it and that was when .45 was $10 a box. Now I wonder if I will ever be able to enjoy it. I have always shot 9mm because i could afford plenty of ammo and while today 9mm is $10-15 a box I am a little better off than I was then, but not $25 a box better off. So you could sell the 1911s and concentrate on the Glock, or why not sell the Glock and 1 1911, forget more AR stuff and focus on shooting the remaining 1911. You can always get another one down the road. I understand the redundancy thing with having the 2nd 1911 and talking about a 2nd glock and parts for a 3rd AR, I would like to get 2nd G19 myself, and get somewhere on a 2nd AR. But right now I am trying to spend the $ on ammo (for shooting) and hopefully someday some training.
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 06-01-09 at 08:24. Reason: additional thoughts

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I definitely prefer to have 2 of a kind. That way if one fails, I have another with mag compatability and ammo compatability. Also if the lady and I ever had to bug-out, we could have the same compatabilities.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My take on 1911 vs. Glock is...

More time available for shooting but less time available for maintenance? Glock.

More time available for maintenance but less time available for shooting? 1911.

Least that's how it's worked out for me.

The Glock absolutely *can* be just as fast/accurate/whatever as the 1911, but in my experience it takes more effort at the range to make it so. I can shoot the 1911 better with less time invested at the range, but it requires a little more time at home to keep it maintained.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think you should stop doing whatever it is that prevents you from getting the training you need. Based on the fact that you have asked the questions above, I would say you don't know what you don't know.

You would do well to invest your resources strictly in attending quality classes. If that means no pizzas/carry out for six months then so be it. There is very little return on selling guns to buy other guns, when you can't use the guns you have in the first place very well.

M_P

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I mentioned selling the 1911s and buying the glocks because I would have enough money left over to afford a good amount of ammo and take a class as well as buy some mags, springs, replacement parts etc. I could forget getting another ar15 for awhile and buy ammo for them as well.
    I am attached to the 1911s but I'm not so sure that's a good reason to hold onto them when the glocks and a good amount of ammo can be had with the sale of the 1911s. The glocks will be cheaper to shoot in the long run as well since 9mm is cheaper than .45.
    Maybe I could hold onto 1 1911 and sell the other which would also afford me another g19 and a fair amount of ammo plus a class.tough choice. Very tough.

ToddG Guest
    How about taking baby steps?

Sell one of the 1911's, the one most easily replaced should you reverse course. Take that money to buy some ammo and take a course with the Glock. At the end of the course, do you feel like you're doing well? Do you feel confident? If so, assess your next step.

Training & practice trump hardware every time as long as we're talking about quality guns.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Thanks PT! That makes sense. Now I have to decide whether to sell the nighthawk 10-8 with x300 or nighthawk talon.if the class makes me a lot better with the glock than I am now, I may then buy a 2nd g19. If I am still no better with it, I'd sell the g19 and get a second 1911 all over again. I can only imagine that with training and much more rounds fired I'd get better and better with the Glock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just wondering why are you talking about buying a 3rd AR when admittedly you have limited funds for ammo and no training? Also you have a NHC Talon and a 10-8?!? No wonder you're broke!

Why not sell an AR (should command top dollar right now) so you have one good AR with a good optic and white light, then sell one of your super high end 1911s? Use these funds to make sure you have good night sights on your G19, get an X300 for the Glock, and a good holster for both the Glock and the 1911. Then finally buy a ton of 9mm and .45ACP ammo and take a class? This should get a fair amount of money in your pocket from the sales and this leaves you with some respectable and well set-up weapons.

I understand the need for a 2nd Glock but seriously if you can't even afford ammo at this point then it can wait. Even with a 1911 and a G19 you have 2 outstanding service caliber pistols to choose from. You may be more proficient on one rather than the other, but you will be able to shoot both fairly well assuming you take a good pistol class.

Having all of the pistols in the world is fine and dandy but they are expensive paper weights if you can't afford, or don't know how to shoot them.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    My idea to buy a 3rd ar came from fear of an awb in the near future and not having any money when it came around because ill be aiming towards a home purchase and marriage. I can't sell an ar. 2 will be fine for awhile and ill hold off on buying a 3rd and sell a 1911 or maybe both to buy ammo, training spare parts. I'll sell 1 for now I suppose. If I sell both maybe I'll pick up a 2nd g19 and get a light for 1 of them and call it a day. That would leave me with 2 ars and 2 g19. Not bad.
    Btw, can you guys recommend a good class for my g19 and I to take? It would obviously be my 1st.
    Last edited by newyork; 06-01-09 at 12:10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast