Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting my first handgun

Feedback Score
    19 (88%)

Getting my first handgun

Hey guys I am turning 21 next week and I am going to buy a handgun. Can you buy one the day that you turn 21 or do you have to wait a day or two. This would be my first and I was considering either a 1911 or a glock in 45acp, I will be using it as a carry weapon when I get my CCP. Anyway, I need advice on what you guys think will be the best option or option for me. Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    I believe that you will need to fill out a "Right to Purchase Handgun" or what ever it is called application at your local police office or sheriffs office. You can not do so until you are 21 and it takes 2 weeks for them to call you to either come pick up your purchasing permit or let you know that you have been denied.

Feedback Score
    19 (88%)
    Sir, I dont know where you live, but I live in Miami Fl and there is no such law that requires you to do what you just said. Thanks anyway

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Going4Broke View Post
    I believe that you will need to fill out a "Right to Purchase Handgun" or what ever it is called application at your local police office or sheriffs office. You can not do so until you are 21 and it takes 2 weeks for them to call you to either come pick up your purchasing permit or let you know that you have been denied.
    Dude, WTF are you talking about?!?! FAIL

Maybe in some of the more oppressive states, but in most of the country you turn 21...walk into a gun store...pick your gun...pass your background check...enjoy your new purchase.

That being said there are literally hundreds of threads which cover this subject very thoroughly.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221

Although I love 1911s they are not for beginners, and definitely not for someone with a limited budget. If you want a .45 I would suggest an HK45, an M&P45, or a Glock 21 SF. Be advised though the HK and Glock are very big handguns and will be difficult to conceal if you go that route.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 07-18-09 at 21:36.

Feedback Score
    FL has a mandatory 3 day waiting period, unless you currently are a CCW license holder, then it's the same day, with all the normal paper work and the call to FDLE for a quick background check. With that, you're out the door in 15-20 minutes.

That said, what state are you in? Google your state's gun waiting period to be sure and what the age requirement is. Try the midsized S&W M&P.45 with the 10 cap mags. It's not as long as the full sized and not as small with the 8 round cap like the compact. It's inexpensive, typically around 500.00 to 550.00, very well made, very comfortable with the 3 adjustable backstraps, very controllable and excellent customer service.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 07-18-09 at 22:29.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    19 (88%)
    Thanks, but what should I be looking at. I have done some research, and I am

looking at 45 acp compact( good reliable model), Sig, Glock, Kimber etc . I dont

know, should I even go the 45 route, I am very open to advice from you pros at

this moment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrin88 View Post
    Thanks, but what should I be looking at. I have done some research, and I am

looking at 45 acp compact( good reliable model), Sig, Glock, Kimber etc . I dont

know, should I even go the 45 route, I am very open to advice from you pros at

this moment.
    Check out the link I posted earlier in the thread and start reading.

If you are not bent on .45 I would suggest starting with a good 9mm and going from there. Ammo is significantly cheaper which means you will be able to shoot more and practice more. 9mms generally are easier to shoot than .45s, they tend to recoil less, and you will have a higher magazine capacity at your fingertips.

Todd Green's advise is to find a range that will let you try numerous different weapons. Find which one you shoot best. Not necessarily the one that feels best.

A few weapons I would suggest, M&P9, Glock 19 or 17, HK P30.

Feedback Score
    Check the thread below. It's a compilation of a lot of X vs Y brand handgun threads.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris2163 View Post
    FL has a mandatory 3 day waiting period...
    Huh, I didn't know about that.

Good advise on the link.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Good luck on your purchase and let us know what you get!!!
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

JHP's are good times, for bad people.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast