Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home-made ballistic gelatin

Feedback Score

Home-made ballistic gelatin

I guess this is mostly a question for DocGKR, but is there a difference between the type 250 ballistic gelatin that Vyse sells versus the unflavored gelatin packets you can find on the internet and in grocery stores? I was thinking of making some one of these days, but don't want to get into a big dollar outlay while playing around with it.

Feedback Score
    Not the same...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Not the same...
    Bummer. Have you ever seen how different the results are between plain old grocery store gelatin and the real deal? Looks like Vyse is selling ballistic gelatin for a reasonable price on their website, and per pound it's actually reasonable. If the economy improves and I have some spare change, I might order a batch from them.

BTW - what's the recommended block size for rifle shots?

Feedback Score

Gelatin

Can't answer the question about block sizes, but having observed FBI protocol gelatin testing in person on 2 occasions (one at BRF, the other by an ammo vendor) . . .

. . . the gelatin has to be mixed correctly, then poured into a mold and cooled to a specific temp.

Prior to use, the gelatin has to be checked to ensure it is within spec (by firing a specific weight and diameter bb with a specific velocity range and checked with a chronograph) and that must penetrate to a specific depth range.

Then, the gelatin must be used quickly enough so it doesn't warm up and throw off the results.

All the above requires a lot of equipment that the avg person does not own nor is inclined to buy.

Some ammo vendors (Dooley Entreprises being one) will conduct testing IAW the FBI protocol at LE agencies. If you are LE and in the CA/OR/WA/ID/NV/AZ area, you might want to contact them to see if/when they will be in your area.

If you can't do your own testing, or observe it in person, Federal Cartridge Co, for one, has photos of FBI protocol gelatin testing that you can refer to on its web site.

After typing all the above, I found the following with a web search:

The test media used by the FBI to simulate living tissue is 10% Ballistic Gelatin (Kind & Knox 250-A), mixed by weight (i.e., one pound of gelatin to 9 pounds of water). The gelatin is stored at 4° Centigrade (39.2° Fahrenheit) and shot within 20 minutes of being removed from the refrigerator. The temperature of the gelatin is critical, because penetration changes significantly with temperature. This specific gelatin mix was determined and calibrated by the U.S. Army Wound Ballistics Research Laboratory, Presidio of San Francisco, to produce the same penetration results as that obtained in actual living tissue. The 10 % gelatin has been correlated against the actual results of over 200 shooting incidents. Each gelatin block is calibrated before use to insure its composition is within defined parameters. Copies of the test protocol are available upon request for those interested in duplication the testing or reviewing the procedures in greater detail.

The gelatin blocks for handgun rounds are approximately six inches square and 16 inches long. As necessary, additional blocks are lined up in contact with each other to insure containment of the bullet's total penetration. Each shot's penetration is measured to the nearest 0.25 inch. The projectile is recovered, weighed, and measured for expansion by averaging its greatest diameter with its smallest diameter.

The Ammunition Test Protocol using this gelatin is composed of eight test events. In each test event, five shots are fired. A new gelatin block and new test materials are used for each individual shot. The complete test consists of firing 40 shots. Each test event is discussed below in order. All firing in these eight tests events is done with a typical service weapon representative of those used by law enforcement. The weapon used is fully described in each test report.

Test Event 1: Bare Gelatin The gelatin block is bare, and shot at a range of ten feet measured from the muzzle to the front of the block. This test event correlates FBI results with those being obtained by other researchers, few of whom shoot into anything other than bare gelatin. It is common to obtain the greatest expansion in this test. Rounds which do not meet the standards against bare gelatin tend to be unreliable in the more practical test events that follow.
    Test Event 2: Heavy Clothing The gelatin block is covered with four layers of clothing: one layer of cotton T-shirt material (48 threads per inch); one layer of cotton shirt material (80 threads per inch); a 10 ounce down comforter in a cambric shell cover (232 threads per inch); and one layer of 13 ounce cotton denim (50 threads per inch). This simulates typical cold weather wear. The block is shot at ten feet, measured from the muzzle to the front of the block.
    Test Event 3: Steel Two pieces of 20 gauge, hot rolled steel with a galvanized finish are set three inches apart. The steel is in six inch squares. The gelatin block is covered with Light Clothing and placed 18 inches behind the rear most piece of steel. The shot is made at a distance of 10 feet measured from the muzzle to the front of the first piece of steel. Light Clothing is one layer of the above described T-shirt material and one layer of the above described cotton shirt material, and is used as indicated in all subsequent test events.

The steel used is the heaviest gauge steel commonly found in automobile doors. This test simulates the weakest part of a car door. In all car doors, there is an area, or areas, where the heaviest obstacle is nothing more that two pieces of 20 gauge steel.
    Test Event 4: Wallboard Two pieces of half-inch standard gypsum board are set 3.5 inches apart. The pieces are six inches square. The gelatin block is covered with Light Clothing and and placed 18 inches behind the rear most piece of gypsum. The shot is made at a distance of ten feet, measured from the muzzle to the front of the first piece of gypsum. This test event simulates a typical interior building wall.
    Test Event 5: Plywood One piece of three-quarter inch AA fir plywood is used. The piece is six inches square. The gelatin block is covered with Light Clothing and placed 18 inches behind the rear surface of the plywood. The shot is made at a distance of ten feet, measured from the muzzle to the front surface of the plywood. This test event simulates the resistance of typical wooden doors or construction timbers.
    Test Event 6: Automobile Glass One piece of A.S.I. one-quarter inch laminated automobile safety glass measuring 15x18 inches is set at an angle of 45° to the horizontal. The line of bore of the weapon is offset 15° to the side, resulting in a compound angle of impact for the bullet upon the glass. The gelatin block is covered with Light Clothing and placed 18 inches behind the glass. The shot is made at a distance of ten feet, measured from the muzzle to the center of the glass pane. This test event with its two angles simulates a shot taken at the driver of a car from the left front quarter of the vehicle, and not directly in front of it.
    Test Event 7: Heavy Clothing at 20 yards This event repeats Test Event 2 but at a range of 20 yards, measured from the muzzle to the front of the gelatin. This test event assesses the effects of increased range and consequently decreased velocity.
    Test Event 8: Automobile Glass at 20 yards This event repeats Test Event 6 but at a range of 20 yards, measured from the muzzle to the front of the glass, and without the 15° offset. The shot is made from straight in front of the glass, simulating a shot at the driver of a car bearing down on the shooter.
    In addition to the above described series of test events, each cartridge is tested for velocity and accuracy. Twenty rounds are fired through a test barrel and twenty rounds are fired through the service weapon used in the penetration tests. All velocities are measured and reported.

Two ten-shot groups are fired from the test barrel, and two from the service weapon used, at 25 yards. They are measured from center to center of the two most widely spaced holes, averaged and reported.

Test barrel results demonstrate a round's potential independent of any weapon factors which can affect performance. Test barrel results are the purest measure of inherent capability for accuracy and velocity. Repeating these tests with a service weapon shows how well the cartridge/weapon combination may realize that potential.

Feedback Score
    Also, Doc has posted this as a sticky here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26028

brad

Feedback Score
    Guys - I'm well aware of how BG is prepared/used. My question was only about the difference between plain grocery store gelatin and 250A ballistic gelatin.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Definitely not trying to step on any toes here, but there is an interesting reasonably low-cost alternative for the home ballistician.

Perma-gel is reusable, solid at room temperature, and is crystal clear. I've used it for television shows, and can be calibrated with a BB to the same specifications as 10% ordnance gelatin.

http://www.perma-gel.com/

Perma-gel can be purchased at Cabela's for about $180, to include the oven and mold. Just pour it slowly down a stick to avoid bubbles, and the cost savings is from its ability to be re-melted and reused.

www.cabelas.com

We've used and reused it, and it can poured into just about any mold you choose, if you have a large enough supply...
    Last edited by PRGGodfather; 03-20-09 at 23:25.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGGodfather View Post
    Definitely not trying to step on any toes here, but there is an interesting reasonably low-cost alternative for the home ballistician.

Perma-gel is reusable, solid at room temperature, and is crystal clear. I've used it for television shows, and can be calibrated with a BB to the same specifications as 10% ordnance gelatin.

<snip>
    Perma-Gel is not an acceptable substitute. Doctor Roberts has mentioned that it's OK for testing body armor, but it doesn't accurately model living tissue like BG does.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Okay!
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    Zhukov,

your question interested me so while testing gelatin blocks with other gelatin powders than the ones you use overseas I manufactured a little block(..whose volume was about 1/2 liter..) of 10% (..in weight..) animal gelatin using gelatin sheets for pies that you can find here (..in Italy..) in the stores...

...for the manufacturing I used the guidelines of the gelatin manufacturer together with the ones written by my friend Shawn Dodson...after that I tested the retardation properties of this gelatin block using an .177" air pistol loaded with 4.50mm diameter round lead pellets (0.52 grams each) whose impact velocities were about 110 m/s(..the variation was about 1 m/s between the five pellets..)....I shot five pellets and they entered to the right of the pic...the block temperature was 4 celsius degrees....if this gelatin had similar retarding properties of perfectly calibrated 10% BG I expected a penetration of a bit more than 6 cm(...so more or less the pellets grouped in the middle of the gel block..)....but, as the scale graduated in cm shows, the pie gelatin I was able to test using the percentage and temperature above clearly had less "strenght" than 10% BG...

All the best
    Andrea

P.S.: a note...for pies the manufacturer suggests a 2.5% weight of gelatin sheets...so 1/4 of the block above....
    Last edited by MK108; 07-09-09 at 07:37.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast