Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extended mag release

Feedback Score

Extended mag release

I need to give thanks to Mr. Clint Smith. I believe he has stated "One is none and two is one". I took a recent trip to Austin, Tx. I knew that the people that I was traveling with are not gun friendly as I would like them to be. However, I very seldom go without my firearm by my side. Well, this meant that my carbine had to stay at home. But I still wanted to carry something with a little more punch and reload less. My choices are the Kimber tactical .45, Glock 31 .357Sig, and the Glock 19 9mm. So, I went with the Glock 31 (Gen II), something that I bought this past Christmas from a friend at a great price. This would be my first time to have this gun as my primary carry handgun. It has been my range gun on many occasions, so I know that it can shoot.

All went well while we did the normal sight seeing gig. That is until we came back to the car. I saw something that sent chills (so to speak) down my spine, thankful that I did not have a confrontation or anything else negative happen. I saw a loaded magazine in my seat. I did a quick pat down and that was not one of my spare magazines sitting there. So I index my mag-well (through the concealment) only to find it empty.

Apparently, I Inadvertently depressed the extended magazine release while seated in the car. I knew that the Glock 31 (that I had purchased as a project gun) has a extended magazine release, but I did not think that it would cause any problems while carrying concealed.

I have ran many drills that include and/or revolve around reloading, but I can not think of a single drill that I run with a round in the chamber and no magazine to start off with. I am thankful that I remember to carry 2 spare magazines.

Some items that I carry while out

A photo of the extended mag-release touching the holster

A photo of the soon to be gone extended mag-release
    Last edited by badcatbigbat; 07-18-09 at 22:20. Reason: spelling
    A citizen noted the hammer back on the 1911 carried in the waist band by Charlie Miller, Texas Ranger. The Citizen asks, "Isn't That Dangerous?" Charley replied, " I wouldn't carry the son of a bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Inadvertent jettisoning of magazines is the reason why I'm not a fan of the Glock factory extended magazine release.

The Glock mag release designed by Larry Vickers is the best option available, in my opinion. It's extended enough that it makes ejection of mags easier, but not so extended that it causes events like the one you just endured.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 07-18-09 at 22:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I carried a G22 with a factory extended mag release for years on duty in a 6004, and never lost a mag. Just sayin..

I think the new 6004's have been redesigned with a bulg near the mag release to help protect it.

Bob

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Extended parts are best left for competition guns

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I replaced the factory extended magazine release on my G34 with the factory standard one. I did this because the extended one had a tendency of digging into the palm of my support hand.

I must have long fingers, because I really don't have issues with using the standard size magazine release.

To the OP, I'd swap out the magazine release in a NY second...

Feedback Score
    I think your holster is the non extended magazine friendly part of your gear. It looks like it's rubbing against it.

I've run exteded mag releases on my carry pguns for about 5 years and haven't had a single problem. I think it's the holster.

I usually wear an inside the waistband so the thing is usually against my skin so that's not hard enough to eject the mag.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Having been to a few hundred matches and several classes I've seen several hundred people draw Glocks and have the mag just fall out of the gun coincidentally all had extended factory Glock mag catches.

I see a pattern here...........just sayin'.

I wouldn't use a factory extended mag catch, I have a few of the TangoDown/Vickers ones which works quite well. The factory extended mag catch is nothing other than a G20/21 mag catch in a 9mm/.40/.357 frame and is no engineering marvel.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I carried a G22 on duty for over 3 years, with an extended slide stop and mag catch. It was carried in a 6004. In and out of patrol vehicles, flat range, shoot house, tactical obstacle courses, SRT course, can runs, Annual competition, etc. and never lost a mag.
    The only lost magazine I personally know of, was a Lt. and he had a standard mag release. He wears his gear so sloppy and 1/2 assed, its no wonder he lost a mag, surprised he didn't loose the whole gun.
    The only reason I don't have one now, is the armorer is d...

All I'm sayin, is its not a death sentence. Pay attention to how you set up your gear, and how it interacts, and you should be fine.

Bob

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    I carried a G22 on duty for over 3 years, with an extended slide stop and mag catch. It was carried in a 6004. In and out of patrol vehicles, flat range, shoot house, tactical obstacle courses, SRT course, can runs, Annual competition, etc. and never lost a mag.
    The only lost magazine I personally know of, was a Lt. and he had a standard mag release. He wears his gear so sloppy and 1/2 assed, its no wonder he lost a mag, surprised he didn't loose the whole gun.
    The only reason I don't have one now, is the armorer is d...

All I'm sayin, is its not a death sentence. Pay attention to how you set up your gear, and how it interacts, and you should be fine.

Bob
    Carrying it in a 6004/6005 is akin to carry a pistol in a Pelican case. Nothing in there is going to hit the mag catch and drop the mag. Carry it for 3yrs with a Glock Inc extended catch in a REAL concealment holster and tell me about it in 2012.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sure thing dude I'll get right on it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast