Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haven Police Ditch Glocks After Two Explode

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    riddlin,

Thanks for posting that because that is exactly where I was going. I guess more and more people are abandoning common sense when it comes to stuff like this and they would rather toss away guns that have a an overall record that is good.

The first thing that jumped out at me in the first article is why they didn't send the weapons to Glock for examination. Equally Glock could have sent someone there to examine them as well.

Did it ever occur to anyone involved that a "kaboom" is many times linked to the ammo and not the weapon? Apparently not.

So they want to switch to an all metal firearm. Sounds good as well know that they won't explode either if a bad batch of ammo is used.
    DITTO! We are a department with over 320 sworn officers and use G17/19/26, G22/23/27, G21/21SF. Any and all Glock problems have been with ammo. The last was a squib round from Remington 9mm yellow box. I don't discount that there has been other issues with some Glocks that are mechanical issues that had to be repaired or replaced by Glock but if there is a Kaboom the ammo will be an involved factor.

We have had numerous problems with our ammo manufacter that supplies us and regardless of the issues they always say that it has passed minimum standards and a few bad rounds out of the batches are tolerated. They know that there will be some slip ups with the ammo when it is made in the millions per weeks/months. I know other departments armorers that have had ammo manufacturers know a bad batch went out and just let it ride not telling the agency they have purchased thousands of dollars of bad ammo.

On Swat we had a bad batch of flash bangs that the manufacturer knew were made with a bad batch of powder. They sounded like black cat firecrackers going off. When we addressed this with them they stated that they knew we got a possible bad batch and instead of calling us and let us know and replace it they let us hit a few hard targets with firecrackers instead of the real deal.

We have been using those models for over 15 years and have had no major issues. My last duty G21 had 25K through it and my competition G21 had 15K through it. I have 5K through both my duty and competition G21SF's I have recently recieved.

DON"T DRINK THE HATER-AID JUST YET FELLAS!

I've seen Sig's, Berreta's and Smith's go Kaboom......all ammo related.
    Last edited by ROSS4712; 07-19-09 at 15:00.
    Your lowest form of training will be your highest performance in combat!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    Opinions on the G26?
    The G26 is an outstanding little handgun. I'm wearing mine now and in my opinion it's the perfect CCW. Stick to the 9mm Glocks and you can't go wrong.

That said, and to make this post applicable to the thread, guns don't just explode. It takes bad or double charged ammo to explode. I had a Kaboom in my H&K USP 9mm several years back because of a bad reload. It happens to all calibers and all platforms.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by ZDL; 05-01-10 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I may not like my Glocks but they are mandatory. I trust them with my life.

Feedback Score
    Own 3 G19s, 2 G17s and a 17L. All superb and shot a lot except the 17L doesn't get worked very hard. But it's all Glock 9 for me and no worries.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Going4Broke View Post
    Most all gun blow ups are a result of the ammunition whether it is a reload or factory overload issue. The problem is that it happens to Glocks more than any other gun by a large margin as far as I am aware
    There are also a lot of Department that issue Glocks. That is likely one reason why it "happens to Glocks more...".

I would never shoot reloads out of a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Going4Broke View Post
    One of the reasons is due to the lack of full case support over the feed ramps on the large caliber Glocks.
    I believe that is a contributing factor as well.

When it come to Law Enforcement I believe maintenance can be a big issue. When I was a LEO I heard of stories of officers having there gun seized into their holster and couldn't get it out at his once a year mandatory qualifier.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Whatever happened to determining the root cause of the problem??? The PD should reevaluate how they determine the solution to a problem.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
    Whatever happened to determining the root cause of the problem??? The PD should reevaluate how they determine the solution to a problem.
    That would limit their ability to point fingers, advance personal agendas, and mug for the newsbabes on Live at 5.

What fun would meaningful contemplation, deliberate research, and cooperation with manufacturers be?

(Also an affliction of more than one of those agencies in the article also alleged to have problems.)
    Last edited by ST911; 07-21-09 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    That would limit their ability to point fingers, advance personal agendas
    Like holding out their hands for all-new guns. They let Glock test the things and confirm that it was the ammo, they have no leverage to get free stuff in the face of what's most likely a dwindling budget.

As it is, even if Speer has rogered up to it, they can still claim that it hasn't been conclusively proven that it wasn't the guns themselves. We may see more articles from this department.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Then there would also be lots of Glock 9mms "exploding" "blowing up" or "kabooming" yet there aren't.

Not many police firearms see hard use.

The author of the original article sure likes to use the word explode in various forms doesn't he?

So many of the reports of such things here say the Police decided on a course of action without having the vendor look at the issue.

I like that they think all metal pistols will solve the issue. Or that their Glock 22's are free of issues.

Yet another reason I don't think much of the GAP round as if I needed any more.

FWIW I have shot a lot of Glock .40 and never had an issue so I don't exactly jump all over Glocks and the kaboom phenomenon but if I was going to use .40 I would got with an M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Another reason more Glocks blow-up is there are simply more in hard use.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast