Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a new EDC for college. Very tricky.

Feedback Score

I need a new EDC for college. Very tricky.

Currently I'm running a Kershaw 3650ST off campus, also known as the Volt 2. Great knife, 3 1/4 inch blade and SpeedSafe assisted opening. I called my university's police department today to ask them what their requirements are for knives within school grounds.

She told me that folders aren't allowed to have any kind of spring-assisted mechanism, even if it's legal in California. It has to be concealed, of course. Also, the blade can't be longer than 2 1/2 inches (none of this was listed online, by the way). I asked her if I could carry a knife that met these qualifications if I lived on campus, which I will, and she said I'd have to check with housing. I really hate these rules.

Currently I'm looking at the Kershaw Shuffle as a viable replacement to the Volt, assuming housing's okay with it (I'll know by tomorrow). It's a manual opener with a 2 3/8 inch plain edge blade. There's also the flathead screwdriver at the butt of the knife that doubles as a lanyard attachment. And then there's the handy bottlecap lifter built into the back of the knife.

What do you think? UPD sends out text messages whenever there's a crime on campus and recently there have been several. I would feel a lot safer if I could EDC while getting my degree, and I'd prefer it if I didn't have to break university rules. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Attend college outside of California?

OK, seriously. I've carried an Emerson mini CQC-7 for the last 6-7 years and love it, but the blade is still to long for your school. The shortest "wave" featured Emerson I know of has a 2.6 inch blade. However, Emerson does have the Hummingbird folder that is less than 2.5. I have never seen one in person and it does not have a wave.

Spyderco has several options that are under 2.5 inches. Take a look at the CAT.

That shuffle is very nice and has the bonus of one of the most important college tools of all, a beer bottle opener!
    Last edited by philcam; 05-29-13 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    A possibly silly question: Is a fixed blade out of the mix?

If it is not, does it still have to be below 2.5 inches?

As Philcam mentioned, some of the Spydie's could fill your needs. My first thought was for a waved Emerson. But as he said, the shortest of them is still 2.7 inches long. A waved Delica is almost 3 inches.

I've got one of the old Native III's, that they used to sell at Wally World for $40. The S30V steel is sharp as a razor, and they open very fast. And if it was broken/stolen/lost, I'm not out huge buckets of cash.

But a fixed blade is very fast to deploy, and often cheaper to buy. My primary carry knife is a fixed blade.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    In Cali. I don't believe you can conceal a fixed blade of any kind. Or at least that is what a quick errornet search turned up.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    A possibly silly question: Is a fixed blade out of the mix?

If it is not, does it still have to be below 2.5 inches?

As Philcam mentioned, some of the Spydie's could fill your needs. My first thought was for a waved Emerson. But as he said, the shortest of them is still 2.7 inches long. A waved Delica is almost 3 inches.

I've got one of the old Native III's, that they used to sell at Wally World for $40. The S30V steel is sharp as a razor, and they open very fast. And if it was broken/stolen/lost, I'm not out huge buckets of cash.

But a fixed blade is very fast to deploy, and often cheaper to buy. My primary carry knife is a fixed blade.
    Second the Native. Awesome knife for the price.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Dang, that certainly does remove the fixed blade option, then. Thanks for the tip, mattexass.

Feedback Score
    Before you spend money on a new blade that you don't really want, I would speak with someone else at your university PD and confirm what the first person told you. If the information you were given isn't listed on your school's website or it's published handbook/rulebook/whatever, then you may have been given incorrect information.

When I transferred to my university a few years ago, I likewise checked with the university PD about carrying a knife. The person I spoke with told me that the school rules followed Texas law, except that they limited you to a maximum blade length of five inches, instead of the Texas limit of five and a half inches. I was never able to find a reference to this, so I've always assumed the person I spoke to was simply wrong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacti-square View Post
    Currently I'm running a Kershaw 3650ST off campus, also known as the Volt 2. Great knife, 3 1/4 inch blade and SpeedSafe assisted opening. I called my university's police department today to ask them what their requirements are for knives within school grounds.

She told me that folders aren't allowed to have any kind of spring-assisted mechanism, even if it's legal in California. It has to be concealed, of course. Also, the blade can't be longer than 2 1/2 inches (none of this was listed online, by the way). I asked her if I could carry a knife that met these qualifications if I lived on campus, which I will, and she said I'd have to check with housing. I really hate these rules.

Currently I'm looking at the Kershaw Shuffle as a viable replacement to the Volt, assuming housing's okay with it (I'll know by tomorrow). It's a manual opener with a 2 3/8 inch plain edge blade. There's also the flathead screwdriver at the butt of the knife that doubles as a lanyard attachment. And then there's the handy bottlecap lifter built into the back of the knife.

What do you think? UPD sends out text messages whenever there's a crime on campus and recently there have been several. I would feel a lot safer if I could EDC while getting my degree, and I'd prefer it if I didn't have to break university rules. Any thoughts?
    I think you ought to stop drawing unnecessary attention to yourself by calling the police, and carry whatever you want. I carried a 642 or a 1911 through most of college without anyone being the wiser.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    I think you ought to stop drawing unnecessary attention to yourself by calling the police, and carry whatever you want. I carried a 642 or a 1911 through most of college without anyone being the wiser.
    But, but, how will the locals know I'm a good guy if I don't out myself prematurely?

Feedback Score
    Do these universities actually have the authority to arrest people and charge them with a crime for breaking rules like that? If not screw them and carry concealed what ever you want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast