Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What else to a TRP?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

What else to a TRP?

I got a quote from Deb at SA to blend / polish armory kote the magwell. It cost $260.00. One of many reasons the base TRP is a Base TRP.

If you where sending in your base TRP to the SA custom shop, is there anything else you would consider having them do? Is there any other weak links to consider. I know its not going to be the Pro, but I have to get that magwell done. Drives me bonkers. And I bought the gun pre-owned , never fired for $900, so Im ahead of the hounds in that dept.

Whatcha think?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Just get a Professional. I so happen to be selling one
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    how many rounds do you have through it? If you don't have enough rounds downrange to come up with a list, hold off on the magwell work. use different mags or lose the magwell for the time being (aren't the TRP magwells removeable?).

When I send a gun to a pro (or in this case the SA custom shop), i normally have them evaluate it for me. have them look at the lockup, the extractor, firing pin stop, the bushing, etc.

they can tell me better than anyone what the pistol needs. aside from that, have them install the exact sights you want. shorten the slide stop pin, chamfer the hole, fit an extra extractor and FP stop. ask them for a specific list of what springs the PRO uses.

YMMV, of course

ETA, if you're in Phoenix, or close by. Frank Glenn is local to you. he does good work, and could save you the hassle of shipping your pistol away. http://www.glenncustom.com/index.html
    Last edited by theJanitor; 10-04-10 at 21:19.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    how many rounds do you have through it? If you don't have enough rounds downrange to come up with a list, hold off on the magwell work. use different mags or lose the magwell for the time being (aren't the TRP magwells removeable?).

When I send a gun to a pro (or in this case the SA custom shop), i normally have them evaluate it for me. have them look at the lockup, the extractor, firing pin stop, the bushing, etc.

they can tell me better than anyone what the pistol needs. aside from that, have them install the exact sights you want. shorten the slide stop pin, chamfer the hole, fit an extra extractor and FP stop. ask them for a specific list of what springs the PRO uses.

ETA, if you're in Phoenix, or close by. Frank Glenn is local to you. he does good work, and could save you the hassle of shipping your pistol away. http://www.glenncustom.com/index.html

Thank you, Ill check him out.

ak44, how much for that Pro?

YMMV, what does this mean? Dont know this one.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Thank you, Ill check him out.

ak44, how much for that Pro?

YMMV, what does this mean? Dont know this one.
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=63788

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    Actually, for me to really get attached to my avatar TRP, I'll have to send it to SA to get a curved MSH (A1) and a short A1 type trigger and loose the ambi safety "flippers" and replace those with a left side only standard siize safety. Not very likely you'll want to do any of that.

Unfired for $900? Sheesh, that's low. If that's all TRPs are bringing used no sense in selling mine now.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought that TRP years ago. Situation was an old man just loved to buy and sell and guns. Didnt like to fire as much as he liked to own them. Just an ole horse trader with nothing to do.

I'm sure the guns bring their value.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had them peen the rails (like they do on the Pro) when I sent a used one I purchased for some barrel issues. They also replaced the barrel and linkage. Sent me a target, too. 25 yards and they fit under a quarter iirc. That gun is a tack driver for me, too, and it has been dead reliable.

I like an arched rear mainspring housing with an integral lanyard loop - MARS GUNS, Inc. I also like a slightly higher beaver tail, too.

I had all of the internals replaced with known quantity non-MIM components and an extra tuned extractor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Unfired for $900, somebody really needed $900 good find!
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post

I have a TRP. Does this mean I can send it to SA Custom Shop and have them check it out? I didn't see that on their worksheet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast