Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emotion vs effectiveness as a medic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My $.02

Doc,

I got into EMS after doing something else in the Fleet, but not until after doing the whole Federal LE stuff with CBP first. The experiences I had during my time in service led me to this field, and makes me the provider I am to this day.

I was inspired to get into the field after losing my best friend in Iraq in 2005 to an IED. Corpsman managed to keep him relatively pain-free as CASEVAC was en route, and he passed shortly after arriving at the field hospital. Ever since, I've taken to EMS in the hopes that what I have learned, what skills I've honed and my actions I take will save another family from grieving the loss. I work on an 911 unit as well as with the county SRT unit, so I see all sides of it.

There is a time and place to be empathetic to a patient, but the second that empathy prevents you from being objective, you need to step back. Let your partner know you need a second. They understand. One of the worst moments in my career in this field was on scene of a fatal crash. Four occupants, parents and two children. Both parents and oldest child DOA. Surviving child was about 2 or 3, unconscious, slow but steady pulse, etc. I had to take a few steps back, told my partner to give me a second as Fire Rescue began to cut apart the vehicle, and had a 30 second shake, then refocused.

Ever since, I've seen some more things that have bothered me. Things dealing with kids are the worst. But rather than keep my shit locked up forever, I talk about it with my partner (who happens to be a friend of the family) or my better half or even call up my folks once in a while. When I can't do that, I get back to the station, resup the truck if need be, put down my paperwork, take of my boots and go somewhere private. Have a good 30 second to 2 minute "controlled breakdown," splash some water on my face and do my report. So far, seems to be working.

It helps that I see folks I work with from both the squad and the SRT guys outside of work and we can joke around with some beers or have bitch sessions while working out at the gym together. One of the SRT guys and I have been working out 6 days a week together for the past year or so. It works.

H
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."-Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    I have been in EMS now for 5 years, 4 as a medic. I am currently in a Paramedic to RN bridge Program. I have seen quite a few medics and EMT's who were at opposite ends of the spectrum. Empathy to me means taking care of the pt and reassuring them when you need to. You can still do your job, and yes some of the patients elicits an emotional response for me, but I have learned to to deal with it after the call.

Call me jaded or indifferent, but the way I see it, I have a patient to deal with and take care of em. Most of the time it is definitely something that I would not even dream of calling an ambulance for. Sometimes it is a real, bona fide life threatening emergency. Then I have to step back, distance myself, take care of the patient. There is time for thinking about your emotions when you get em to the hospital. That does not always happen, but I strive for that goal.

Kids will get to me faster than anything. I have worked several children in cardiac arrest, and I still have nightmares to this day about it. I do remember the ones that I have delivered, including one with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck, and he was not breathing when he was born. Being able to control the emotions and keep a cool head is what separates the pros from the amateurs.

Just my $.02
    If these same judicial despots misconstrued the Second Amendment as broadly as they do the first, Americans would have nukes to defend themselves from noisy neighbors. - Mark Alexander

I will stop buying guns when my wife stops buying shoes.

"You cant invade America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" - Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto

A Recession is when your neighbour loses his job,
    A Depression is when you lose your job, and
    A Recovery is when Obama loses his.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I concur with ninja medic and ghetto medic.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY MEDIC25 View Post
    I am currently in Iraq. I have learned over my year here that it is very important to detach yourself to be any good to someone needing your care. ESPECIALLY in the case of traumas.
    Agreed, with experience from multiple trips to the other sandbox, Afghanistan. Tactical medicine requires clinical and tactical judgement. Cannot be clouded by emotional responses. Combat triage in mass cas is another example....wasting time on those that cannot be saved. Also, as a medic/first responder those non-medical pers are looking to you for leadership, guidance and advice. Decisive, appropriate medical interventions saves lives.

Empathy is a skill used by medical pers in non-tactical and non-emergent roles (ie sick parade, Role 3 in KAF). It is useful there to gather Hx, increase patient compliance and promote recovery.

Before anyone throws it out there: Yes, I have treated wounded friends of many years and not all the prognosis were positive.

Feedback Score
    I've spent the last decade of my life working either ICU or trauma as an Air Force medic, and my mantra has always been empathy over sympathy. I've seen exactly what war does to the human body, and in those moments those patients don't need my sympathy or pity, they need a cool, calm collected medic who can get it done when it matters most. After my last "deployment" to the ICU in landstuhl, we started to teach our medics/nurses/docs about compassion fatigue, a very real psychological problem very similar to PTSD. Unfortunately I lost some very good friends who took their own lives after that deployment, they let too much in and didn't know how to deal with it. Do your best, but don't take it home with you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was hired over 10yr ago s a firefighter/EMT in a 3rd class city. Ive seen SOOO many shooting, stabbings, ODs it's unreal. The 1st few times i saw such things, i thought about them for a lil bit(next day or 2). But being 20y/o (when i was hired) helped too, cause i didnt have a child at the time, so I wasnt as "soft" as i am now
    I believe that the more you see, the more jaded you become, and things effect you less and less. As much as I dont like to see as much death as i do, i say to myself "why should I let this bother me?..I didnt cause this to happen"...especially when lots of these things are gang/drug related. Things involving kids, do have greater impact on me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123