View Poll Results: Which Rail? Don't forget to say why.

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Larue 9.0

40 35.40%
  • DD Lite 9.0 (it's a little lighter)

40 35.40%
  • Either will serve you well.

33 29.20%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Larue 9.0 VS. DD Lite 9.0

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rob did a good job of laying things out. I have and use both for many of the reasons he listed. I tend to run LaRue by default because I like the integral QD sling sockets (also the price is nice).

One reason not listed on Rob's list that is if you need a rail to extend your rail beyond the front sight base. I feel cramped on carbine handguards so my rifles with carbine gas systems get FSP model rails from DD (I have a DDM4 with the Omega X rail and another build with a 9.5FSP Lite).

So for me, it basically comes down to this:

- Midlength or longer gets a LaRue based on price and integral QD sockets
    - Carbines get DD rails that extend past the FSB

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Too bad LaRue doesn't make a 12" model with a cut-out for the FSB on carbines.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Too bad LaRue doesn't make a 12" model with a cut-out for the FSB on carbines.

ive thought/said the same- i'm sure they will, at some point.

right now DD dominates the specialty handguard market- if you want a FSB/FSBM style guard, a RIS, a guard for a permed weapon, etc, you go to DD.

SWS, who makes NRW's guard, recently started producing an FSB guard.. i haven't seen 'em in real life, but i'm sure they're typical of Art's work: perfect.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm leaning towards a Troy MRF-CX. I don't want to pay the premium for a DD RIS II to get anti-rotate capability. Again, if only LaRue had an FSB model.....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm leaning towards a Troy MRF-CX. I don't want to pay the premium for a DD RIS II to get anti-rotate capability. Again, if only LaRue had an FSB model.....
    have you not seen the Lite FSPs? http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s..._ar15literails

these dont rotate

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The DD Lite rails do not have an anti-rotate device (only the RIS II versions do). Granted, with a properly torqued barrel nut, no rotation should occur BUT with a VFG installed and the right bump into a few walls at 3-gun matches, with my luck it will loosen up. I don't want the gas tube to act as an anti rotate device.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The DD Lite rails do not have an anti-rotate device (only the RIS II versions do). Granted, with a properly torqued barrel nut, no rotation should occur BUT with a VFG installed and the right bump into a few walls at 3-gun matches, with my luck it will loosen up. I don't want the gas tube to act as an anti rotate device.
    everyone's welcome to their own qualms, and i'm in no position to judge. all the same:

With the lite, your gas tube wouldn't ever touch the rail even if it did manage to loosen up. the lite barrel nut does not encompass the tube like other nuts- it sits below the tube.

secondly, the lite is torqued tighter than the larue, so it's less likely to loosen up- larues have that nice anti-rotate plate, but there's still some degree of play. the DD's just have a little more play before the screw contacts the receiver.

thirdly, even if it did loosen up, the screws do serve as security- it would only rotate about 1/50th of a turn before stopping. your weapon would still function, your barrel would still be tight agains the receiver face.

so rotation is absolutely no reason to not get a lite, my friend.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    DD must have had a concern with rotation as they put anti-rotation tabs on the RIS Series (or maybe the military required them due to their concerns about rotation). Also, the tube does go thru the rail locking ring and if it turns, it will hit the tube.

The Troy MRF-CX seems like a quality rail at a good price. Why not the Troy?
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 08-08-09 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    Ive used several DD Lite rails on various length builds and I simply cannot imagine one rotating if properly torqued.

To break one.....you ran it over with a tractor or something.

This is a 10.0 with a 12.5 barrel like the OP was asking about. I like more of the barrel shrouded than you get with a 9.0.

Feedback Score
    In all honesty you can not go wrong with either.
    I own both and they are top notch.
    Pick which ever one has the features you want and get it.
    My mind is the weapon, everything else is merely an accessory.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast