Thread: DIY M&P Beavertail Removal

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

DIY M&P Beavertail Removal

It was uncomfortable trying to carry my 40FS IWB due to the beavertail so I removed it. I may remove a little more of it after I shoot it, not sure yet. Here are a few pics. Your thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Looks fine, though I cannot imagine what aspect of the beavertail made it uncomfortable.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The path of least resistance...it was easier to remove the beavertail than to remove my love handles.

Feedback Score
    it was easier to remove the beavertail than to remove my love handles.
    I hear that! I can't even carry IWB because I'm so fat I'm doing 20 min a day on the stationary bike though. one of these days...
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    What kind of holster were you using?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Hey how bout a tutorial since the title is "DIY Beavertail Removal"!

Cheers!
    "WORTHY OF TRUST AND CONFIDENCE"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I was looking to do this myself. the end/tip of the beavertail doesn't contact my hand anyway. and sometimes impedes an inaccurate "failure to go into battery" remedy. good job!
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citpitch02 View Post

Cheers!
    Step 1. PATIENCE

I disassembled the gun and put the frame in a vice. I used my Dremel with a sanding wheel and with it on the slowest setting began to remove the beavertail. When I had it removed close to where I wanted it I switched to a file because the Dremel really gouged the frame. I shaped it with a file to get it closer to what I wanted. Then I sanded (and sanded and sanded) with 320 grit sandpaper. Next came 600 grit sandpaper. Finally, when I had it where I wanted it I used my Dremel to polish it with their polishing compound. I started slow with the polish and finished with the speed higher.

I've since removed the little that is remaining in the photos. Now it resembles my 9c and 45c. I'll post pics once I get a chance to take some.

I took it to the range yesterday and I'm very happy with the results. It feels different than it did with the beavertail, and in my mind much better. I plan to do the same thing to my PT 9FS when it comes.
    Last edited by jdavis6576; 07-24-09 at 14:48.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citpitch02 View Post

Cheers!
    I agree. Typically if someone posts a DIY thread they will include step by step pictures and a description of the steps that were taken so that someone else can learn to do it themselves as well.