Thread: 18" SPR Barrel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question 18" SPR Barrel

I am looking into doing a MK-12 Mod-0 SPR-type build and all I can find for barrels is a Noveski and a White Oak. I know a Noveski is probably top-o-da-line for SPR barrels...but it's kinda pricey. I really don't know anything about WOA. I believe both companies offer properly head-spaced bolts for the extra charge.

Can someone point be a good direction?

Is the Noveski worth the extra price?

How is WOA's quality in general?

Who makes the real MK-12 Mod-0 Barrel for the military?

Thanks,
    Dave

Feedback Score
    If there would be a difference between the noveske/white oak, I doubt 99% of us would be able to tell the difference..

WOA makes top quality stuff - I would not hesitate to buy one of their barrels if I had the opportunity/build for it.

In regards to who made the real barrel, I believe they contracted Douglass Barrels for that....someone else will be along to confirm that

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining Brass
    Who makes the real MK-12 Mod-0 Barrel for the military?

Thanks,
    Dave
    The Noveske and WOA are excellent barrels. The MK12 Mod 0 had a 1x7 twist 18" Douglas bbl.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does Nov. and WOA use the same grade SS steel for their barrels? I'm just trying to get a handle on why the prices are so different- I'm sure WOA has the ability to keep up with S&D more so than Noveski.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone done an SPR type build in 6.8mm?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining Brass
    Anyone done an SPR type build in 6.8mm?
    I built one with a Noveske barrel. It shoots great, but I think that a 16" would be a better choice in 6.8, the extra 2 inches doesn't get you too much more than added weight.

Of the 2 WOA 6.8 barrels I've shot/built, accuracy is at least on par if not better than the 3 Noveske 6.8 barrels barrels I've used, YMMV.

I think that you will be well served with either company's barrel.
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    Personally, I think practical accuracy is pretty damn close between the barrels. Maybe 100th of an inch difference in groups, if even that. I'd go with what I feel more confident using.

Feedback Score
    I would think if your looking for a top shelf barrel, you would look at a Kreiger.. What is the old saying that a wise friend of mine says. Buy once, cry once..

Feedback Score
    This 18" Kreiger SPR barrel from JTAC is superb and ready for the OPS collar.

This 18" SPR CLE Douglas from PDC also shoots very nice and would be right at home on a Mod0.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a Noveske kool-aid drinker as John is a great guy beside making killer barrels but all the barrels mentioned are excellent. Lilja too. You almost have to go way out of your way to buy a bad barrel nowadays. The Noveske is a SPR barrel is length and name only, so it's pretty heavy. I had Steve at ADCO trim it down to proper SPR contour complete with the shoulder for the Ops Inc. brake. Excellent work, great price and quick turn around. I also switched from Mod O to Mod 1 when the barrel was done but I admit I sort of miss the Mod O now. Thankfully, I still have all the parts.

"No you don't, sunshine"