Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol for 12yr. Old ? Range Report Update 07/26

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Pistol for 12yr. Old ? Range Report Update 07/26

Ok, I believe the time has come for me to explore getting my son his first 9mm pistol. I am looking for suggestions in something that would make sense for him in regards to size and overall weight.

He has shot my 22s for a while and the timing as well as interest is in something a little larger.

Dads and all please share your thoughts on possible pistols that I should take a look at.

Initial thoughts are toward an M&P. Possibly a compact.
    Last edited by crossgun; 07-26-09 at 13:39. Reason: Update

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 8yo daughter has tried my Glock 19 a few times (her usual range piece is a Ruger MKIII 22/45), and the grip is too big for her at the moment. I'd like to have her try either a Springfield EMP 9mm 1911 or a Walther PPS and see how they fit her hand. 9mm 1911 commanders are fun, but they can be hard to find, and tend to be expensive to get and set up to run right all the time.

The M&P is a good choice; the interchangeable backstraps should help get a grip that fits him now, and grow with him later on... Good luck!
    Last edited by lindertw; 07-25-09 at 11:53.

Feedback Score
    Might I suggest a Browning HP, or perhaps a CZ-75? I choose these due to the ergonomics of the grip. I don't know how large your sons hands are, but if they are not as large as full size adult hands, the two above pistols would probably due fine. I would stay away from the compacts for a training pistol, as there sight radius is minimal and perceived recoil impulse is greater. This can be discouraging to new pistol shooters. I'm not saying that a compact can't be just as accurate, just that it requires more disiplined manipulation of the weapon. Also, perhaps get a few instructional DVD's, to watch and learn from when actually going shooting is not doable. I find them helpful still, even though I've been shooting pistols for years.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had a S&W Model 10 cross my mind, mainly for the trigger control it would teach.

M_P

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geminidglocker View Post
    Might I suggest a Browning HP, or perhaps a CZ-75? I choose these due to the ergonomics of the grip. I don't know how large your sons hands are, but if they are not as large as full size adult hands, the two above pistols would probably due fine. I would stay away from the compacts for a training pistol, as there sight radius is minimal and perceived recoil impulse is greater. This can be discouraging to new pistol shooters. I'm not saying that a compact can't be just as accurate, just that it requires more disiplined manipulation of the weapon. Also, perhaps get a few instructional DVD's, to watch and learn from when actually going shooting is not doable. I find them helpful still, even though I've been shooting pistols for years.
    I agree with geminiglocker a browningHP or EAA witness in 9mm both of those guns are super easy on recoil. A budy of mine that never owned a gun before until he shot my EAA witness[ terrible shot by the way] very next day went and bought a witness after shooting mine very easy pistol to shoot IMHO after he masters that he should be ready to move on to M&P or glocks no problem.
    Buddy didnt know squat about guns and tried my glock and browning hp but got hooked on the EAA witness after about 4 shots.

Feedback Score
    Hello,

Another vote for The Browning High Power.
    http://www.browning.com/products/cat...?webflag_=007B

FN's High Power Page.
    http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?i...ector=5&detail

Install a set of Navidrex Thin Micarta Stocks on it and he'll be set.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=2...a_HP_Thin_Grip
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk like you own the place.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I learned to shoot pistols on an old GI 1911A1 when I was thirteen.

Since you want to stick with 9mm, I would agree that a Browning Hi Power or S&W M&P is not a bad place to start.

Feedback Score
    I think an M&P would be a great start (full size) and it can grow with him. When hes 18 it will still be a great weapon.

I think a Sig 226 would also be an excellent (althought a little more expensive) option. I learned to shoot a handgun with a sig 226 9mm at age 13.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I too would go for the BHP.

Feedback Score

12 Year Old

When my oldest Daughter was 12 years old I taught her to shoot a handgun using an Interarms M43 Firestar. It is a steel framed compact 9mm based on the 1911 design. Being steel framed it wasn't bad on recoil and she learned to shoot it exceptionally well with factory loaded ammo.
    Decent factory sights and controls.
    I am not sure of the availability of these any longer but I have a Grandson who I hope to
    find on of these for when it comes time to teach him about Shooting a Handgun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Firestar_M43
    Last edited by rat31465; 07-25-09 at 16:33. Reason: added info
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast