Thread: Chrome barrel?

Feedback Score

Chrome barrel?

I've seen many recommendations for chromed-lined barrels. As someone new to the AR-15, I'm hoping y'all can put this in perspective for me.

I have many firearms, some used for years now and quite often. Examples of heavy use guns in the safe are Remington 700, Ruger 10/22, Winchester 9422, Winchester 1300, Benelli Nova, Ruger SP101.

Now none of these have chrome-lined barrels. When I shoot my Remington 700 I take it home and clean it, oil it, and put it back in the safe. It never sits around dirty or dry. Same with everything else I shoot. None of my firearms show any pitting or rust. Some of them have been in the safe for decades.

What advantage does chrome have for semi-auto use by an owner who will not be putting 500 rounds through his weapon every weekend and does not fail to clean his tools after he uses them?

I want a reliable gun that will always go bang and hit what I aim at, but it will have to share range and wilderness time (and ammo budget) with other toys, and it will not be abused or neglected. Why should it have a chrome barrel?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The reason for the chrome lining is for durability. Thats why all of the SKS models except for the Yugo have chrome lined barells. They were expecting for the rifles to be used for long periods of time in the jungle or wherever and be neglected, or not cleaned. From what I have read, people who shoot bench rest or target with ARs do not use chrome lined barells because it has a small effect on accuracy. Since the chrome plating would reduce the diameter of the bore, during manufacturing, they overbore the barell to make room for it. This would make for a slightly less precise bore. I suppose you, and for that matter, most people, would be served fine with an un plated barell, since you are only going to the range and back and clean your rifle regularly. Most people just prefer the chrome due to the fact that it adds durability. If you keep your barell clean and oiled, you will not have any trouble, but if you plan on crawling around in the mud with your gun, you should go for chrome. So to answer your question with my own opinion, if you had a chrome barell there would be no advantage; as long as you clean and maintain your rifle properly.
    Last edited by mhanna91; 07-24-09 at 14:17. Reason: j

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bryant View Post
    What advantage does chrome have for semi-auto use by an owner who will not be putting 500 rounds through his weapon every weekend and does not fail to clean his tools after he uses them?

I want a reliable gun that will always go bang and hit what I aim at, but it will have to share range and wilderness time (and ammo budget) with other toys, and it will not be abused or neglected. Why should it have a chrome barrel?
    Given your criteria, the chrome lining will provide you very little utility and neither will milspec barrel steel. You could easily go with a 4140 chromoly barrel and it would meet your needs just fine.
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    Check out the comparison chart and technical FAQ under the Tech Discussion category. Everytime I try to give advice of a general nature like this, I find those would do a better job.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    1. Greater barrel life
    2. Higher resale value
    3. If you are purchasing a rifle, greater selection available

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    of all the guns you listed, none are semi-auto rifles shooting inexpensive, low-recoil rounds. because the AR is a semi-auto rifle firing inexpensive (used to be, at least) low-recoil rounds, they tend to get the absolute dog-shit shot out of them.

if you're not gonna run it hard, you don't "need" chrome in the bore. but as they say, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. i generally tend to think along the lines of "whats the worst that could happen?" and actually go by that.

Feedback Score
    If you're not looking at high round counts and rapid fire, then you probably would be fine with a stainless barrel.

Wouldn't necessarily cost an arm and a leg, either. The only thing about it that might or might not fit your needs is weight - they don't have to weigh a ton, but they're not going the be the lightest option, either.
    Last edited by boltcatch; 07-24-09 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    The chrome lining that the military requires in their barrels is there for reliability, durability, and lingevity. The only chrome lined barrel I have is on my AR carbine, and it's there for all the above. The military likes it because it means that when cleaning gets neglected barrels don't rust. It's more of a maintenance item than anything else.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    barrels last several thousand more rounds with the chrome line