Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip length G19 vs M&P9C

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Grip length G19 vs M&P9C

So I'm looking at moving into the 21st century (or at least the late 20th) and upgrading from my 1911 to a polymer wonder nine. I've narrowed it down to the G19 or the S&W M&P9c (if I could find one somewhere to fondle).

My question, since I can't find one, is if someone could tell me the length of the grip on the S&W with the extened mag baseplate on it so that I could compare that to the G19's length (heck, pictures would be swell if someone had both weapons).

I shot the G19 today and it was a decent fit, but I like that the M&P9's grip is a little slimmer (I held a full size today, but it's size increase over the G19 makes it a little too large - if I'm ditching the 1911 I want a smaller weapon), and as long as the compact with the extended mag isn't too much shorter than the G19, I would probably go with one of those...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    The M&P 9C offers a thumb safety which will offer a consistent manual of arms with the 1911, and offer a layer of safety against gun grabs, etc.

IMHO the M&P is a more flexible platform for concealment depending on the which magazine floor plate you use.

I found neither the M&P or Glock 19 carry as well iwb as the 1911, both are wide as bricks although much lighter.
    Last edited by Gewehr3; 07-26-09 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The M&P compact with the extended baseplate in place is indeed slightly shorter than the G19.

As far as size goes, it works like this:

G26 < M&P9C < G19 < M&P < G17 < M&P 45 < G21

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the answers and advice.

I really wish I could find one locally, I really can't order one online without at least holding one first - and I don't want to dismiss it until I've checked it out. The G19 is just about on the cusp of being too short for me to get a decent grip on... I could probably still shoot it comfortably if it were a hair shorter... From what I can see from the Glock's specs, it's approximately 2.5" from the bottom of the trigger guard to the bottom of the baseplate - can anyone with an M&P9c give me a similar measurement?

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    2.213 inches from the bottom of the trigger guard (the area where it curves back into the frame) to the longest part of the extended baseplate.

1.408 inches from the bottom of the trigger guard to the bottom of the frame. The rest is the magazine and extended baseplate.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 07-26-09 at 21:48.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Awesome! Exactly the info I needed!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just realized that the full size is roughly the size of my 1911 except it's an inch shorter in OAL and it's a full pound lighter... why am I messing with compacts if the full size gives me smaller and lighter weight than my current carry? I think I may need to rent the full size M&P...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Ive spent a lot of time with both. While I can (barely) fit all three fingers around the m&p9c with the extended baseplate, it is hard to maintain the grip while firing and it seems to have a whole lot of snap for a 9mm. I am still accurate enough for self defense at ten yards, but its not going to make one hole with 10 rounds or come anywhere close. The G19 is a bit larger, and in my hand it is much easier to get a solid grip. The G19 represents about the smallest thing that I can control really well. A big part of the issue might be my extremely large hand. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah, my hands most resemble hams with short, fat sausages attached to it... So likely I'd have the same issue... I think with the perspective of the full size versus my current carry (full size 1911) I'm going to look at either the G19 or the M&P fullsize. I figure either would carry easier, decrease weight and give me more capacity all in one fell swoop.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Lousy camera phone pictures but hope it helps. G19 and M&P 9mm full size.

Last edited by Irish; 08-03-09 at 18:41.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast