Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: revolver.....yes or no?

Feedback Score

revolver.....yes or no?

Here's an article by Robert Kolesar on carrying a revolver for personal protection

Revolvers still a viable option

Bob is a retired LA PD cop and a Master Sergeant in the US Army. He has a lot of experience gained both on the city streets and in combat
    and makes some good points.

I like J-frame Smith's and won't be getting rid of mine any time soon, but prefer autos.

My question is, after reading the article what do YOU think? Comments on his article?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Refreshing to read something written by a revolver aficionado that doesn't put forth the assertion that semiautos will get you killed because they malfunction.

I, too, carry a S&W 442, with Crimson Trace lasergrips, as a backup gun to my 1911.

In the woods I carry a S&W 686 with 180gr Partition Gold.

I agree with nearly everything he said. I just prefer to carry a larger handgun.

Feedback Score
    I have no problems with people carrying revolvers. For many years, my off duty weapon of choice was a .38 Spl S&W Model 36. My issue gun back then was a Glock 22 and I also had a Beretta 92 SF. I could not only shoot the .38 better, I could also conceal it better. (Back then, our Glocks had aftermarket 8 pound triggers on them)

Now I prefer my Glock 23 (with the standard 5 1/2 pound trigger) to my revolver. It conceals just as easy, and I am very proficient with the Glock.

For most people who ccw for self protection, I think that a revolver would be adequate. I wouldn't try to sway a person one way or another when it comes to what kind of handgun they arm themsleves with. What ever they feel more comfortable with, and whatever they can shoot better, is what they should carry.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for the revolver. But, I think I will always carry a Glock.

Feedback Score
    You have to love the Smith and Wesson for there simplicity and size if nothing.
    That is my opinion on the subject I shot a revolver in three day Vickers carbine class and did not have any trouble i even won some drills with it. I like to carry one in certain situations thy are the only gun that i will carry.Can you think of a pistol that will run well in the size of a J frame Smith and Wesson.

SUPERIOR FIREARMS LLC.
    5510 Fern Vally RD. ste 102
    Louisville KY, 40228
    502-365-2244

Feedback Score
    Do they still reliably launch projectiles at speeds far in excess of what my fists travel?

If yes, then they're viable. If no, then it's because my fists are that damn awesome. Either option works with me.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    A hammerless revolver can be fired reliably whilst still in a pocket. Let's see a pistol do that. Yes, a revolver is a revolver and an auto is a pistol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My wife carries a S&W 340PD in .357 Magnum in either a pocket or on her ankle. You can't find a smaller, lighter, hand cannon than that one.

Feedback Score
    I've toyed with the idea of using revolvers (S&W 625 JM 4" and 686P 3") as a night stand gun on a couple of occasions.

But the cold hard truth for me is that semi-autos are FAR easier to shoot faster and more accurately than a revolver. Sure the wheel gun invokes a feeling of nostalgia, simplicity, and toughness that you don't typically get from the newest polymer auto. But when it comes to protecting myself or my family, I know I can do it better with an auto.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by geminidglocker View Post
    A hammerless revolver can be fired reliably whilst still in a pocket. Let's see a pistol do that. Yes, a revolver is a revolver and an auto is a pistol.
    What-iffing a bit much, aren't you?

Feedback Score
    Depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going but I often carry a J frame.

I was worried about carrying a small gun so I decided to shoot it at IDPA one weekend. I realized I could make headshots at a distance of 30 feet. I figured under a clock and moving fast I didn't do too bad and shot placement is half the battle. I'm not saying I would take head shots if I don't have to but I know I will hit center of the center mass with that little gun.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast