Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glaser safty slug or magsafe rifle loads

Feedback Score

glaser safty slug or magsafe rifle loads

Has someone experience with the above mentioned loads ? If so will they perform better then the handguns versions or will they suffer the some drawbacks then the pistol rounds? I am especialla intersted in the 308 version. The reason why i ask is I am planing to buy soon bolt action rifle, for target/fun shooting and hunting, in an case of emergency for sd. I know that an bolt action rifle is not the best chocie for sd, but in case of emergency it is better than nothing.

Feedback Score
    Glaser rifle cartridges are less accurate than standard copper-jacketed lead core bullets.

The primary wounding mechanism is temporary cavitation that exceeds soft tissue elasticity, creating a dramatic entrance wound.

Can you share a little more information about what has piqued your interested in using Glaser Blue .308 130gr? (Decreased wall penetration in case of a miss? Decreased overpenetration potential? You like to spend you money on really expensive ammo - $29/6? Something else?)
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    Thx for the infos. And yes I can. I want to reduce the risk of overpenetration in an sd scenario. and I have thought that the glaser would make an nice short range sd load. Using an very light varmint bullet (110 or 125 grain)would be my plan b.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't use either one.

If you need a limited penetration .308 load check out the 110gr Hornady TAP, it uses the 110gr V-Max varmint bullet.

Check out this tacked thread at the very bottom of the tacked threads in this forum, currently it is directly above yours:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19878
    Last edited by Falar; 07-25-09 at 12:43.

Feedback Score
    In .308 caliber, the polymer-tipped hollowpoints (such as Hornady AMAX or Nosler Ballistic Tip) offer a very high degree of fragmentation and are unlikely to present much of a downrange threat after exiting the body of an attacker.

If you read DocGKR's recommendations for .308 ammo, he mentions that the 155gr Hornady AMAX has been used in numerous police shootings, is extremely deadly, and usually doesn't even leave the target's body.

I don't see how Glaser or Magsafe could do better than that.

Feedback Score
    Thx again for the infos, and I will read the sniper load thread. And you're probably load using more "coventionell" loads would be a better idea, because they are already proven and they are more economical. Especially here in austria the magsafe and glaser rounds are very expensive.
    Last edited by iceman0085; 07-25-09 at 12:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Glaser rifle cartridges are less accurate than standard copper-jacketed lead core bullets.

The primary wounding mechanism is temporary cavitation that exceeds soft tissue elasticity, creating a dramatic entrance wound.
    This is very interesting as I have repeatedly read that elastic tissues are rarely overstretched. SD, any idea how large the TC is of the Glaser Blue 180 gr ( if this is the one causing TC overstretching) ?

Can you share a little more information about what has piqued your interested in using Glaser Blue .308 130gr? (Decreased wall penetration in case of a miss? Decreased overpenetration potential? You like to spend you money on really expensive ammo - $29/6? Something else?)
    > Which would mean that the vital structures/great vessels of the body are not reached.See here, for example
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/imag...m%20Glaser.jpg

I hope I could add something useful.
    The credit goes to SD and the FT site for the great illustrations.

And please see here for what Dr. Fackler had to say re. PFBs.
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs5.htm
    Last edited by Terminal Effect; 07-25-09 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my experience bullets such as the .223 and 110gr .308 TAP fragment nearly as much as the bullets such as the Glaser, with more accuracy and far less cost.

Feedback Score
    Thx again for the intersting links and the furhter information. I will stay away from the pr fragmented round and will use the 110 grain tap roud as my primerly defense load. The tap rounds are available here in austria. I have allready seen then in 223 rem in an gunstore.
    Last edited by iceman0085; 07-26-09 at 03:30.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Houston View Post
    In .308 caliber, the polymer-tipped hollowpoints (such as Hornady AMAX or Nosler Ballistic Tip) offer a very high degree of fragmentation and are unlikely to present much of a downrange threat after exiting the body of an attacker.

If you read DocGKR's recommendations for .308 ammo, he mentions that the 155gr Hornady AMAX has been used in numerous police shootings, is extremely deadly, and usually doesn't even leave the target's body.

I don't see how Glaser or Magsafe could do better than that.
    I agree. Glaser/Magsafe have no use in the rifle-world imho.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-29-09 at 20:43.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast