Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK P30 am I nuts or ....

Feedback Score

HK P30 am I nuts or ....

I spent sometime the other day going over an HK P30 9mm and comparing it to the Sig 226 I ended up getting.

Is there anyway to use that mag release without having to alter your grip to get to it???

Why would they design it that way?

I had shot one that a friend had and found it to be a great shooter but there is no way I could come to grips with the mag release.
    Shad
    ------
    I knew where I was when I wrote this..
    I don't know where I am now.

Les Baer PII .45
    Sig Sauer E26BR-9-BWTAC
    Daniel Defense M4

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    That mag release is very fast. I can operate it easily using my trigger finger. I cannot dump the mag on most guns, including a SIG, without changing my grip (or reversing the button). But hey, everybody has their own thing.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carried a USP and a Walther P99 which both use the same system as the P30. I never had a problem using it. In fact, it worked pretty good, in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As Greg already stated use your trigger finger. Just relax your grip slightly and it's easy as pie and VERY fast once you get used to it.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have had to adapt to the mag release on my hk45c, coming from 1911's and SIG's. And at first it was strange but I was surprised how fast I adapted to being able to activate it with my trigger finger.

It really does work pretty fast if you just give yourself a chance to get used to it.
    “Like a sword, a word can wound or kill, but as long as one does not touch the blade, the sword is no more than a smooth piece of steel. Someone who knows the qualities of a sword does not play with it, and someone who knows the nature of words does not play with them.”-- Miyamoto Misashi

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I love the ambi paddle on the P30. Less chance of popping my mag out while my gun is holstered.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with the others. I prefer that style of mag release to the others. Its faster for me. But its an entirely a preference/training thing.

Feedback Score
    I use my strong hand thumb ... the way I was trained to perform mag changes it actually works very well for me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I usually used both my trigger finger and thumb to activate the mag release on the USP and P99. It was basically a "pinching" action I naturally used the first time I picked my first USP up.

ToddG Guest
    The paddle release is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing. One very experienced shooter/instructor I've worked with absolutely hates it and swears that his students, many of whom are federal LEOs issued the P2000, struggle with it all the time.

On the other hand, I found it a very simple transition when moving from the M&P to the P30. But I've been using my trigger finger to release my mags since the late 90's: Berettas, SIGs, Smiths, and now the P30. As others have said, I can manipulate every single control on the P30 without shifting my grip at all.

Part of the dislike for the paddle release comes from issues early on with the USP series in which people were sometimes likely to ride the release, causing mags to drop during the firing cycle. And for those who absolutely insist on using the thumb, it can be a more difficult transition and/or require more movement of the gun to reach it properly. This is a common complaint among those who believe there is "one true way" to release the mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast