Thread: Refinishing high end barrels

Feedback Score

Refinishing high end barrels

Can you refinish Noveske/LaRue/PacNor/etc. barrels without a detriment to accuracy? I know LaRue Ionbonds thier barrels but can it be done after the fact without causing issues? Is the barrel extension then refinished to and would it extend the life of the barrel?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I can't speak on the ionbond process but parkerzing takes place in a phosphate solution held at around 200 degrees F, This is not enough to affect the metallurgical structure in a way that will impact accuracy. There are also bore plugs available to protect it during the process.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    Add a 1 to your 200 and that's the temps we're talking about here.

Feedback Score
    how do you want to refinish it? Parkerizing is simple and you plug the barrel during the process so there's no degrading it. Bluing is done on high end barrels such as Shneider and Kreiger all the time. So I would say you're safe. High end barrels are always machined then finished, when it comes to say long range rifles they're finished after they're attached to teh action and baked often

If you're worried you could always go with a duracoating option
    Last edited by B-Rad; 02-26-11 at 18:21.

Feedback Score
    If you are wanting to extend the life of the barrel only alternative that I am aware of is Salt-Bath Nitriding http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-is-impressed/

Ion-bond is an exterior treatment they do not treat the bore as far as I know.
    Parkerzing is also a exterior treatment that does not extend barrel life.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 02-26-11 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have a Noveske SS barrel that was done by Springer Precision in IonBond .

It is the pinnacle of perfection!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ionbond appears to be a commercial name for a PVD process and nothing to worry about. They use the same process to coat HSS tooling for increased lubricity and tool life. HSS tooling is usually hardened to 65Rc or higher. Obviously if the process ruined the temper on tooling, they'd be gummy as mild steel.

I couldn't get the link for the salt-bath nitriding to work but I assume its similar or identical to ferritic nitrocarburizing, also known by trade names as Tenifer (Glock uses this European process) or Melonite here in the US. It's basically a case hardening process. I'm not sure what hardness it ends up being and what is the proper hardness range for a barrel. I'm not sure if having an exceedingly hard surface on a barrel is a good idea unless it's been proven to not give rise to any issues. (I don't know if it is or not since the link doesn't work and if it's already common practice)
    “The practical success of an idea, irrespective of its inherent merit, is dependent on the attitude of the contemporaries." Nikola Tesla

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In a thread at the National Match forums, it was discussed that the high temperatures reached in applying the "Ion Bond" type finishes sometimes causes the barrel extension to loosen due to the uneven expansion rates between the different alloys used in the extension and barrel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd be interested to see if this was an isolated incident. Vapor deposition is a pretty normal coating process for industrial use, from coating cutting tools to metallizing potato chip bag and "mylar" (metallized nylon) balloons. I wonder if its just improper application by one particular vendor applying this process. That sounds a bit scary though!
    “The practical success of an idea, irrespective of its inherent merit, is dependent on the attitude of the contemporaries." Nikola Tesla

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesiumsponge View Post
    Ionbond appears to be a commercial name for a PVD process and nothing to worry about. They use the same process to coat HSS tooling for increased lubricity and tool life. HSS tooling is usually hardened to 65Rc or higher. Obviously if the process ruined the temper on tooling, they'd be gummy as mild steel.

I couldn't get the link for the salt-bath nitriding to work but I assume its similar or identical to ferritic nitrocarburizing, also known by trade names as Tenifer (Glock uses this European process) or Melonite here in the US. It's basically a case hardening process. I'm not sure what hardness it ends up being and what is the proper hardness range for a barrel. I'm not sure if having an exceedingly hard surface on a barrel is a good idea unless it's been proven to not give rise to any issues. (I don't know if it is or not since the link doesn't work and if it's already common practice)
    Here is another link maybe it will work for you. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...g-for-barrels/
    Yes it is similar to glocks Tenifer treatment I believe the the hardness ends up being some were in the 70 rc range [don't quote me on that please]. Yes it is used in Europe more than the US. SIG , HK, and others use it or another [similar gas nitrating] process for there barrels. On the accurate shooter link they are claiming twice the useful barrel life than what you can get from a non treated barrel.
    I personally don't have any experience with it but I do have a P.O.F. CHF G3 barrel new in white on my work bench that I have considered having treated. Along with a HK bolt head and locking piece that I am also considering having Hard chromed.