Thread: Noveske Barrel Break-In (Stainless Steel)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Drag View Post
    A question for you guys with experience with stainless barrels. I have a Noveske VTAC carbine in stainless. I intend for this to be a do it all carbine. It will mostly get shot slow and for precision but on occasion get shot hot.
    I followed the recommended break in process. I used Butch’s Bore Shine and Tetra Copper Solvent while zeroing the optic and for the first strings etc. I never got any copper out, not once at the range.
    However I did get some evidence of copper when I let the Tetra Solvent sit for the recommended 30 minutes after a range session. I started to do this after each trip to the range and I continue to get copper out. I’ve shot fast doubles/quads etc as well, warming the barrel up but definitely not hot. I got plenty of copper out after that. Thus far I have about 300 rds through the rifle.
    How long can I expect the copper fouling to continue?
    ===============================

I don't think you ever stop copper fouling. Copper fouling is just a fact of life with a piece of copper going 2000 mph down your barrel. Now, you just need to determine at what round count does it start affecting accuracy.

With 300 rounds the bore should be "deburred" (or whatever they call it) so just keep shooting until you see accuracy suffer. I'm at 400+ round without cleaning and haven't see accuracy degrade. I've got 2100 round through my CL barrel without cleaning and it is still shooting fine, but CL is a different animal.

Last edited by ucrt; 01-27-11 at 21:35. Reason: Clarity