Thread: custom builds. Whats it all mean?

Feedback Score

custom builds. Whats it all mean?

So as an AR newbie, I am trying to make sense of all the info. This is NOT a what AR should I buy, rather than a question of what to look for before purchasing my next rifle. If there is a link to the info then I will take that. I am not brand specific, just wanna know what the heck I am talking about.

Such as, I that some AR's have staked this and pinned that, whats important?

Lowers, some are forged, molded, billet, steel, playdough, other than weight, whats different?

Barrels, which length is optimum, and what material is good?

ETC, ETC....... There are so many makers out there that do things there way, who's right or wrong.

So basically, how can I be an informed, smart shopper when the time comes that I wanna order a "custom" build.

BTW: does anyone run rifles from D-Tech or Carey custom rifles?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A good place to start is with the various stickied threads in this sub-forum. There is some good, basic consumer background information there.

First, define what you want to do with the rifle. That will determine barrel length, stock, handguard, and sights/optic, stuff like that. Then you need determine your budget. Assuming you want to get a high quality rifle, I'd be looking at rifle models from Colt, LMT, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, Spike's Tactical - if you buy from those companies, you won't need to worry about the appropriate things being pinned and staked.

I would recommend you consider that your first rifle be a 16 inch barrel with mid-length gas system (they shoot a little softer from a recoil standpoint). Handguard (quad rail vs plastic) will depend on what, if anything, you want to hang off of it (light, sling, etc). I'd start with iron sights unless money isn't an object in which case I'd get Magpul MBUS rear sight and an Eoetch XPS or EXPS, or a similarly-priced Aimpoint.

I think it makes more sense for you to not go all-out and spend your entire shooting budget on the rifle--get a more modest rifle save some money for ammo and training courses.

Don't forget to check your state laws regarding this type of rifle. Make sure whatever you buy meets your state's laws
    Last edited by Hmac; 02-26-11 at 19:51.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Read your Stickys they are at the top of the page in each AR forum.
    [I]Life is Hard, It is even Harder if You are Stupid.
    John Wayne[/I]

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

questions

You can get most of your questions answered in the sticky threads. They're full of great information. If it's not there, search with keywords. Enjoy

Feedback Score
    Guys thanks, and I have read the stickies, but like I was trying to explain, it is all info that eventually gets jumbled. I just wanted a breakdown,not which specific parts but a "watch out for this" kinda thing.

I certainly don't need a high end rifle, just a solid rifle, that is worth what I paid.

BTW: I currently own and shoot a Bushmaster M4 with an Aimpoint as optics. I just wish I could afford the magnifier.

In the future I hope to have a "custom" built AR. One that came designed how I want it, with quality parts.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Everything you have asked is there. Take the time to read, understand the nomenclature of parts and look at the pictures. It will be obvious.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com