Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW while jogging...need ideas...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

CCW while jogging...need ideas...

I have been getting back into the habit of running a few miles 3 or more times a week in my neighborhood. While I honestly don't expect trouble, I have been almost bitten by a number of dogs, and frankly would be wide open to attack by a person after running 3 or 4 miles. The area I live in is very nice and safe, but surrounding areras are not so nice and safe and I am afraid of "spill over". So I am looking for something to carry while jogging.

I am looking into a 2 pronged approach here, number one is a suitable firearm to carry, number two is a suitable method to carry said firearm.

First let me say this. I have an M&P9 Compact. I will not be carrying anything like this on a run. It's too heavy and too bulky to be carried on my person while running. I need something that weighs less than half as much, and probably cuts the dimensions in half as well. I am looking for something inexpensive and very corrosion proof. I sweat like crazy while running and I fully expect this thing to get soaked in sweat. Also there must be zero doubt it will survive a fall to concrete without an AD. A few things I have considered is a NAA mini-revolver in .22 Magnum, or perhaps a cheapo Keltec in .32 or something of the like. I am fully open to suggestions, but please understand my criteria. I am not about to strap on my 1911 for a 5 or 6 mile run.

As far as a carry method goes, this is the area I am even more shaky on. I have read about the belly band, and I just don't see it working for me. It seems like it would constrict my breathing too much and soak up sweat like a sponge. Likewise I have read about necklace holsters, but the idea of the weapon bouncing around on the holster, flagging me non-stop in the precess doesn't sound very appealing either. I don't know about wearing a fanny pack...I think they're pretty damn gay...but it might be my best option.

Anyway I look forward to some ideas and open discussion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A Ruger LCP, while not the greatest defensive option in the world, is super light and concealable. I have one in my pocket when I'm on the treadmill at the gym.

A step up in power would be the S&W J frames. Carried in an Eagle runner's pack, they work pretty well, IMO.

The concern with the belly band isn't so much constriction of breathing or even soaking up too much sweat...it's that when you are doing something like running with say a loaded S&W 442 in one the gun bounces. It's not bad if you're lifting weights, but if you're running it's not terribly secure, at least not when it's situated behind the hip. Crossdraw-style carry with a bellyband works better from a security standpoint, but it's more difficult to run that way. With the bellyband I was worried that the velcro would come loose, but it held very securely. I used the Galco version of the belly band.

When I go to the gym my usual practice is to lock up my gym bag in the locker. I go out on the floor and lift weights and hit the treadmill with the LCP and a spare mag in my track pants. When my workout is done I retrieve my gym bag and head into the bathroom (which in my gym is separated from the locker room with a door), get in one of the stalls, and then put the bellyband on with either my M&P compact or my Glock 19.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 07-30-09 at 13:57.

ToddG Guest
    I've gone jogging multiple times with my LCP in a pocket holster. You can feel it, but it won't impact your running.

Haven't tried it yet, but I bet you could run with SmartCarry and barely notice ...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sounds like you need a mousegun.

KelTec P3AT (What the LCP was "inspired" from) with a clip draw sits lightly and securely no matter what you're wearing.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Haven't tried it yet, but I bet you could run with SmartCarry and barely notice ...
    I would think it would be banging into your junk the whole time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    A Ruger LCP, while not the greatest defensive option in the world, is super light and concealable. I have one in my pocket when I'm on the treadmill at the gym.
    This and the Keltec (as MR Wilson pointed out) is starting to sound like a recurring theme...

The concern with the belly band isn't so much constriction of breathing or even soaking up too much sweat...it's that when you are doing something like running with say a loaded S&W 442 in one the gun bounces. It's not bad if you're lifting weights, but if you're running it's not terribly secure, at least not when it's situated behind the hip. Crossdraw-style carry with a bellyband works better from a security standpoint, but it's more difficult to run that way. With the bellyband I was worried that the velcro would come loose, but it held very securely. I used the Galco version of the belly band.
    Hadn't thought about that aspect of it, but now that you mention it that seems like a very valid concern.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Negative on whacking the junk, I wear mine at 4:00 and it's comfortable & snug. I'm usually just dinking around going for a walk or a bike ride but if sweat's an issue, just wipe it down and look for rust occasionally.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    S&W 442PD in an Eagle Runner's pack with a speed strip would be the best option for power/weight ratio. You might also want to check out the Civilian Lab Escape RG chest harness as a discrete carry option to carry something a little smaller like the Keltec. It also gives you outside pockets for easy access to OC spray and/or 16" airweight ASP baton and a cell phone
    Last edited by ballistic; 07-30-09 at 15:08. Reason: Edited to add comments about OC, ASP and cell phone.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why not conceal your S&W in a Camelback? Some come with pockets and others are light, but most have enough room to conceal a handgun.
    Luke 2:14
    USMC 03-08

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't find the junk guns to be acceptable under any circumstances... LCPs, P3ATs, etc.

I'm in your same boat... decent area... and the probablility of a pitbull attack is about equal to that of a human attack.

Trying to clear a malf on a trash pistol while a pit is mauling you (and the first two rounds bounced off his head ) is not working for me.

IMO, you'd be better off with a good knife.

I run at night and open carry with a conventional strong side holster (i can pull my shirt over the gun if I see a looney lib and uncover it after I pass), or in the winter I just pull a sweat shirt over the same gun/holster.
    Last edited by markm; 07-30-09 at 15:01.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast