Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good carry weapon for Armored Truck driver?

Feedback Score

Good carry weapon for Armored Truck driver?

just wanted to get some opinions on what would be a good handgun for an armored truck driver and why? my friend was considering a glock 23 or an m&p. he doesnt have hardly any shooting experience except with the 357 they issue him. i dont think he wants to spend a lot for a say a 1911 either. what caliber/model would you all recommend?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I sense another caliber battle...
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Dig around in this forum a bit and you will get some great information from experienced individuals. The canned answer is:

Glock 17 or 19 in 9mm, or
    Smith & Wesson M&P in .40 S&W.

Also check out the after action reports (AAR's) in this forum: http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=88. You'll see reports from high round count classes. You'll see what guns ran, which one's went down, and why.

If your friend is hung up on the .40 caliber, have him check out this thread: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887.

Also, please encourage him to get some training outside of what the company will provide. Proper mindset and solid training is more important than weapon/caliber choice.

Feedback Score
    yea i will recommend some training. i wasn't trying to start a caliber war here. Nor a smith vs glock war. Just wondering under the circumstances of the job, what gun would be best and why? more rounds with a 9mm or less rounds with a higher caliber?
    I'm not sure what they are trained for in those jobs(except to protect the money)..... he told me that they said if his partner was outside of the truck in a gunfight that he was supposed to drive away and leave him. so that gives you an idea i guess....

and thanks ill take a look at those links
    Last edited by luv2pbal; 08-01-09 at 22:19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2pbal View Post
    just wanted to get some opinions on what would be a good handgun for an armored truck driver and why? my friend was considering a glock 23 or an m&p. he doesnt have hardly any shooting experience except with the 357 they issue him. i dont think he wants to spend a lot for a say a 1911 either. what caliber/model would you all recommend?
    Is this to replace his issue weapon? If so, they more than likely have a list of acceptable firearms he can choose from.

Feedback Score
    The type of weapon and caliber is a moot point if your friend doesn't practice and becoming more familiar with his issued weapon(whatever he ultimately decides to choose). In addition, due to the nature of being an armored truck driver, he needs to learn tactics and how to handle situations when that door opens and transporting money between vehicle and location. I would recommend he choose a reliable firearm with high capacity magazine in case he has to repel an armed robbery until law enforcement arrives.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What his company and the limits of his guard license allow him to carry.

Feedback Score
    If he IS the driver then the .357 revolver is a good choice, next better choice would be a short (18") pump shotgun. A 'driver' is never to leave the truck, so that leaves any shooting to be done through the gun port in the driver's door. These ports are relatively small and will most likely cause functioning problems with a semi-auto's slide. This is why a weapon such as a revolver or pump shotgun will be best in this role. If he works as a 'messenger' or 'armed guard', one of the guys that will be shuttling or guarding money outside the truck then a good semi-auto would be better IMO. If working as a true guard, as in not handling the money, only guarding it, then a pump shotgun as primary and a good semi-auto as secondary would be a wise choice.

Some companies will issue the sidearms, meaning that is all that they will allow you to carry. No choices here.

Some companies will allow you to carry a sidearm you choose so long as it is from their list of approved sidearms. In this area, as of six years ago, the company that allows it's people a choice in sidearms would not approve a Glock or any other striker fired sidearm. Which left traditional DA/SA or DAO sidearms such as Sig (which was most popluar) or Beretta. They had many others to choose from as well. You could always tell the ones who took their protection/lives seriously as they were the ones carring Sigs and Berettas. The cheap skates usually carried a Ruger or Taurus (sorry Ruger and Taurus fans)

There are a lot of restrictions for these jobs. If, six years later, or the paticular company your buddy works for will allow a wider choice in handguns (such as striker fired) Then I would choose a Glock 17 and load it with +P ammo such as Speer Gold Dot. Why? Seventeen rounds of +P ammo on tap and a full size handgun is a non-issue because it will be carried in a true duty rig.

This is my personal choice, it is not the only choice as many other handguns will fill the role very well.

The driver is trained to drive away, therefore removing the money from the sene and leaving no more reason to continue the shoot out. We were advised, privately, not officially, to run bad guys over if possible.

Good luck
    Last edited by jhs1969; 08-02-09 at 21:23.

Feedback Score
    jhs1969 is right. point is, will he be allowed to carry a personal firearm? or just what is issued to him (as is the case here)? if he could, how about one of the new S&W's with 7 or 8 rounds of 357? that way, as jhs1969 also pointed out, you have no problems of firing out of the firing port.
    he also raised a good point on striker fired firearms. i think more data on what the company would allow is in order.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. My friend did say that they were allowed to carry anything they wanted (no list) as long as they purchased it themselves, but i will double check with him on that. Good point about the slide and the port hole also. I never really thought of that. He just started the job within the last few months so I am not sure if he is going to be a driver or messenger for the long run.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast