Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good carry weapon for Armored Truck driver?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekujustice View Post
    Best bet drop the money and get out of dodge if you can.
    Don’t they cuff the money bag to the guard?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Don’t they cuff the money bag to the guard?

No, they do not at anytime. Most of these money transfers are so large that a large dolly must be used. You really can turn a lot of heads when wheeling 12 million in cash into a bank. We ship out rolled coins in boxes and return loose change in cloth money bags and these things are heavy, again requiring the use of a dolly both into and back from the bank. The cash is counted out to fill what a bank has ordered and wrapped in plastic making for large 'bales' of cash.

Best bet drop the money and get out of dodge if you can. At least around here they get about 8.50-9 bucks and hr. Not worth getting in a gun fight over if you can avoid it. What are they going to do if you drop the bag and haul ass fire you? Loosing a 8.50-9 buck an hr job wow
    It has been a few years, so I can't remember everything regarding policies or training but you are right on. The will tell you up front that no amount of money is worth loosing your life over. As long as you don't break the law or company policy you should be OK. They make more than that around here but not a great amount more. Certainly not enough to get killed over, and thankfully they realize this and understand.

Feedback Score
    correct me if i'm wrong, but if its being carried in an armored van, and being transported around, it should be insured, right? that gives all the more reason to just drop the money and run.

around here, however, there have been instances when the robbers shot their way through to the van, injuring or killing the guards. in cases where the robbers shoot first and take the money second, i think shooting at them is very much justified, even if just to protect yourself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MiggyE View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but if its being carried in an armored van, and being transported around, it should be insured, right? that gives all the more reason to just drop the money and run.

around here, however, there have been instances when the robbers shot their way through to the van, injuring or killing the guards. in cases where the robbers shoot first and take the money second, i think shooting at them is very much justified, even if just to protect yourself.

Yes, you are correct.

I've never worked with or around armoured vans, we used heavier armoured trucks. They were completely bullet proof, you would have to go up to a .50 BMG to begin to have a chance to penetrate their armour. We used to keep one of the armoured plate glass panels in the shop that had been hit with a bullet to show prospective new hires.

Discovery ran a show a few years back on armoured vehichles, they went into greater detail about their protection levels.
    Last edited by jhs1969; 08-05-09 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    ...I've seen one lose his revolver out of the holster without noticing.
    Yeah, I had to send my messenger back into a bank in Portland, OR. when he caught the butt of his issue gun on the pushbar of the door while BACKING out the door w/ a handtruck! There was a S&W M-15 just laying on the sidewalk - he never noticed until I told him. It was my 2nd day on the job & he had been there over 5 years ! I worked w/ a VERY few folks who were very switched-on, but most of them were mediocre even by average private security standards - their only redeeming quality was having a CDL!
    We were issued a 4" M-15 if working a truck, or a 2" M-64 if working in the vault. Policy allowed for any 4"+ revolver 38 spl & up, or any decent DA auto 9mm & up (a privately owned 380 or 38 spl snubby was allowed working in the office/vault). If you wanted any ammo other than 38 spl 158 RN "widowmakers", you bought it yourself. We weren't authorized BUGs, but myself & a couple of others "ignored" that policy. We often switched off b/w driving & "hopping" during a shift. I saw everything from PPK/S to a 6" M-29 with the occasional Sig & Glock. After experimenting w/ a number of different weapons, I standardized on a sturdy wheelgun that I wouldn't worry about getting a few dings - passing thru the hatch on the move can be a little cramped for a 6'3" dude. I ended up carrying a fixed sight Ruger GP-100 or an old S&W 1917 most of my time there. Long guns were 870s or S&W 3000s w/ 00 on local routes, Shotgun plus a Mini 14 or HK91 on the Fed runs. No extra ammo issued for the longs, but, again, a few of us "overcame" that issue on our own. I always carried an extra 10 rounds of 12 ga on my belt in a pouch & had more stuff in my satchel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    Yes, you are correct.

I've never worked with or around armoured vans, we used heavier armoured trucks. They were completely bullet proof, you would have to go up to a .50 BMG to begin to have a chance to penetrate their armour. We used to keep one of the armoured plate glass panels in the shop that had been hit with a bullet to show prospective new hires.

Discovery ran a show a few years back on armoured vehichles, they went into greater detail about their protection levels.
    wished the vans here are as sturdy. aside from the trucks the central bank use, of one group that uses sloped armor, most vans just have enough armor to stop pistol caliber rounds, maybe 5.56mm at the worst. have seen robbers that used M14s, full-auto BARs, and 203's. wouldn't want to be in the guards' shoes.

BTW, i have a few friends that run several security agencies. they say that since a rash of armored van robberies several years ago, the government here has allowed them to buy high-powered rifles. the number of firearms are strictly controlled and monitored by the police, however, and the price here of even bushmasters, and dpms are very restrictive if you are an agency and your owners are worried about the bottom line. have seen a few guards with government surplus A1s in semi-auto, and even fewer MP5s, but these are few and far between. i think they use these for multi-million pick-ups.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123