Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on 50 BMGs for long range fun?

Feedback Score
    I shoot an AMAC. The hand load I am using is producing 1.00 inch groups at 200yds

The devil danced as he went down
    In the hail of arrows comin'
    Out on the wild Montana ground,
    Custer died a-runnin'.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Barrett M99 + NF 5.5-22X50 MLR ZS

I love it!
    ...but you do get a little light-headed after shooting it 5 times in a row.

Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    It all depends what you want to do with the rifle.

If you plan on blasting car doors at 100 yards with military APIT a Barret M82 or bolt gun may be what you need.

If you want to shoot sub MOA steel targets at over 2 Klicks a precision bolt gun (McMillan/EDM/etc) is the only way to go. This is what i wanted and bought my rifle accordingly.

In my limited experience the good thing about the Barrets is you can feed them shitty ammo and they normally will go bang, a precision rifle they are not however.

On the other hand, you can roll a McMillan/GAP/etc custom built precision rifle shooting AMAX or other high BC bullet and kill shit waaaay out there.

Its all a matter of what you want to accomplish with the rifle.

CheyTacs Extreme Long Range course (Shooting Sub MOA steel to around 2300 yards) with my .50 and .408.

Last edited by 03humpalot; 08-28-09 at 04:54.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot View Post
    It all depends what you want to do with the rifle.

If you plan on blasting car doors at 100 yards with military APIT a Barret M82 or bolt gun may be what you need.

If you want to shoot sub MOA steel targets at over 2 Klicks a precision bolt gun (McMillan/EDM/etc) is the only way to go. This is what i wanted and bought my rifle accordingly.

In my limited experience the good thing about the Barrets is you can feed them shitty ammo and they normally will go bang, a precision rifle they are not however.

On the other hand, you can roll a McMillan/GAP/etc custom built precision rifle shooting AMAX or other high BC bullet and kill shit waaaay out there.

Its all a matter of what you want to accomplish with the rifle.

CheyTacs Extreme Long Range course (Shooting Sub MOA steel to around 2300 yards) with my .50 and .408.

Good information in this post, thanks.

I prefer a rifle for the latter, i.e., long range shooting with accuracy. Perhaps I should have been more clear when I mentioned the word "fun" as I was thinking about sport or entertainment, not a SHTF type of firearm. I don't have any realistic aspirations of shooting sub MOA at 2,300, but it would be nice to know that I had a rifle that could. Damned impressive, BTW.

On a side note- very close to taking the CheyTac course and renting one of their 408s. In fact, my uncle knows the guy/lives in Arco.

Feedback Score
    No worries gfelber.

That post was just for info in general and not directed completely to you. A lot of guys think buying a .50BMG means they can smokecheck cans of beefstew at a mile ....and it really doesnt. Most .50's shoot like ass, especially when fed questionable ammo and topped with shitty optics.

As in all things, you gets whats you pay for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No worries gfelber.

That post was just for info in general and not directed completely to you. A lot of guys think buying a .50BMG means they can smokecheck cans of beefstew at a mile ....and it really doesnt. Most .50's shoot like ass, especially when fed questionable ammo and topped with shitty optics.

As in all things, you gets whats you pay for.
    Not to hijack here, but what ammo are you using in your .50?

I bought some of the HSM A-Max and also of the Solid Brass Alloy Sniper Match rounds from 50 BMG Ammo Supply, although I haven't had a chance to really shoot any of it.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Dave,
    currently running both 690 grain AP and AMAX both loaded by B&B armory..sorry i dont have a link. AP is not all that accurate in my rifle...but the AMAX sure as shit as.

HSM is a couple of hours down the road from me stateside and im thinking about swinging down there to grab some next im home.

Let me know how those solids shoot in your stick when you get to send some downrange man.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dave,
    currently running both 690 grain AP and AMAX both loaded by B&B armory..sorry i dont have a link. AP is not all that accurate in my rifle...but the AMAX sure as shit as.

HSM is a couple of hours down the road from me stateside and im thinking about swinging down there to grab some next im home.

Let me know how those solids shoot in your stick when you get to send some downrange man.
    Will do man.

Here is all I could find for those interested:

B&B Armory, LLC. 9939 South Ave. Unit A Poland, OH 44514 330-719-9347

They seem to be on gun broker but not have an actual website.

Take care,
    Dave

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I have one of their business cards which is sitting on my desk in the states right now but that sounds like the same outfit. Bought about 500 rounds off of them a while back. Good stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12